Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Natasha
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt
    • 30th Mar 10, 1:03 PM
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt 30th Mar 10 at 1:03 PM
    Around a fifth of the population are 60 years old or over, so it's no wonder some companies (plus the Government) offer extra discounts and incentives to tempt the group's custom and loyalty. So we'd like to tap MoneySavers' knowledge for where these discounts, savings and promotions can be had.

Examples include annual winter fuel payments between £125 and £400, the Freedom TFL travel pass if you live in a London borough and 10% off Boots brand products if you join its free health club.

Please click reply to add your tips.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 05-04-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Page 12
    • SALOPMAN
    • By SALOPMAN 15th Mar 15, 10:40 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    SALOPMAN
    We have recently had to renew our National Trust membership - my wife is 60 and I am 59 (Im currently unemployed) so being out of work the £95 for the English NT was a tad hard to find, we learned from a friend that you can join Scottish Trust which has a reciprocal agreement with the English version allowing full free access both in Scotland and England for £46 - to be fair NT did offer a slight reduction when we phoned but we still saved about £35 by joining the Scottish one
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 5th May 15, 5:12 PM
    • 5,163 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    aardvaak
    Senior Railcard
    Having just turned 60 I would like to know how much is a Senior Railcard and how long does it last?
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 5th May 15, 5:16 PM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Having just turned 60 I would like to know how much is a Senior Railcard and how long does it last?
    Originally posted by aardvaak
    It took me all of two seconds to find this:

http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 5th May 15, 6:00 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    It took me all of two seconds to find this:

http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/
    Originally posted by Steve_xx
    Well if yiou had spent a little bit more time you would, probably, have found that you can purchase a railcard for no monetary cost at all.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 5th May 15, 6:09 PM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Well if yiou had spent a little bit more time you would, probably, have found that you can purchase a railcard for no monetary cost at all.
    Originally posted by zygurat789
    Yes I probably could, but I didn't. Mind you, it isn't me that wants one!

On the other hand, you, have offered no useful advice at all.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 6th May 15, 7:12 AM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    Yes I probably could, but I didn't. Mind you, it isn't me that wants one!

On the other hand, you, have offered no useful advice at all.
    On the contrary I offered useful advice without being arrogant.
    You, on the other hand, proffered advice which would have involved the Op paying top wack. not very MSE.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 6th May 15, 8:46 AM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    On the contrary I offered useful advice without being arrogant.
    You, on the other hand, proffered advice which would have involved the Op paying top wack. not very MSE.

The advice you have offered is conspicuous by its absence.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 6th May 15, 1:18 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    The advice you have offered is conspicuous by its absence.
    Seek and ye shall find
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 6th May 15, 2:38 PM
    • 2,812 Posts
    • 4,257 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    That's even plonkier behaviour than being arrogant: why not simply give a link.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 6th May 15, 3:48 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    It took me all of 1.75 seconds to find this
    http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=2023
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 6th May 15, 3:51 PM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    It took me all of 1.75 seconds to find this
    http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=2023

..... and a further 24 hours to communicate the fact.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 6th May 15, 5:14 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    ..... and a further 24 hours to communicate the fact.
    Good things are worth waiting for
    • PennyForThem
    • By PennyForThem 6th May 15, 6:41 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    PennyForThem
    lol

Like it
    • rochja
    • By rochja 26th May 15, 4:40 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    rochja
    The senior rail card costs £30 or £15 in clubcard vouchers - which would be worth £30 spent in Tesco. I would call that one an honourable draw

One notable difference though is that receiving one through the post - as you must using clubcard - some of the one year validity has already been lost. Buying at a station you can use it from day 1
    Last edited by rochja; 26-05-2015 at 4:45 PM.
    Life is like a box of chocolates - drop it and the soft centres splash everywhere
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 26th May 15, 4:59 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    The senior rail card costs £30 or £15 in clubcard vouchers - which would be worth £30 spent in Tesco. I would call that one an honourable draw

One notable difference though is that receiving one through the post - as you must using clubcard - some of the one year validity has already been lost. Buying at a station you can use it from day 1
    Originally posted by rochja
    During the year there will be lots of days I do not use it, even with a railcard I'm not rich enough for that
    • slowcoachme
    • By slowcoachme 29th May 15, 5:24 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    slowcoachme
    If you live in a London borough you can get an Oyster 60+ Card £10 a year. Gives free travel in London zones on tube, rail, bus, tram, DLR. you must travel after 09.30 otherwise there are no restrictions. It can't be used outside London.
    • greyfeathers
    • By greyfeathers 29th May 15, 3:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    greyfeathers
    Actually Oyster 60+ is even better than that! Only for Londoners, but£10 is a one-off fee, and it's valid until you reach the age you can get a Freedom Pass from your local council. You can use it on tubes, London Overground, trams and buses any time, not just after 0930. There are restrictions on rail services though. Worth knowing that if you are travelling from London to somewhere outside the Oyster limits, you might be able to save money with a 'boundary extension' ticket, which reduces the overall cost. For example, if I travel to St. Albans from London, a return ticket would be £14.90, but costs £7.90 when I use my Oyster 60+ card. Whether I can get that ticket depends on whether the ticket office is open, though.....
    • greyfox
    • By greyfox 29th May 15, 6:30 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    greyfox
    Whether I can get that ticket depends on whether the ticket office is open, though.....
    Originally posted by greyfeathers
    It does seem silly that the machines don't offer a "from edge of zone" option, given the number of people who have Oyster 60+ or Freedom passes, doesn't it?

The alternative is to check out the last station on the route which is within the Oyster zone (I have a list on my noticeboard!) & buy the ticket from that station online. You can still collect it from the machine at your local station.
    • greyfeathers
    • By greyfeathers 6th Jun 15, 2:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    greyfeathers
    Great idea, Greyfox. I have asked various staff at rail and underground stations, but was told I just had to pay the full fare if the ticket office was closed (although Oyster did say I could apply for a refund). Thank you!
    • KingGooner
    • By KingGooner 11th Sep 15, 1:26 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    KingGooner
    Winter Fuel Allowance
    You can get it for Winter 2015-16 if born before 5th January 1953, but you will have to apply
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,940Posts Today

8,994Users online

Martin's Twitter