Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Natasha
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt
    • 30th Mar 10, 1:03 PM
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt 30th Mar 10 at 1:03 PM
    Around a fifth of the population are 60 years old or over, so it's no wonder some companies (plus the Government) offer extra discounts and incentives to tempt the group's custom and loyalty. So we'd like to tap MoneySavers' knowledge for where these discounts, savings and promotions can be had.

Examples include annual winter fuel payments between 125 and 400, the Freedom TFL travel pass if you live in a London borough and 10% off Boots brand products if you join its free health club.

Please click reply to add your tips.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 05-04-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Page 10
  • chequers10
    On the Travel front you can get

Half price fares on National Express.
    http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/offers/routesixty.cfm

Cheaper Train Fares if you buy a senior rail card.
    http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/

and last but not least Free Local Bus Travel.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/TravelAndLeisure/TravellingAtHomeAndAbroad/DG_10026845
    Originally posted by Ypaymore
    Got this email from National Express today.
    Important news on the concessionary fares scheme

As somebody who has used the Government's half price coach ticket scheme, we want to give you some important information.

The scheme currently provides up to half price travel for over 60 year olds and disabled people through Government funding.

The Government has announced that this funding will end on 31 October 2011 as part of its spending cuts programme.

While we are looking to introduce a replacement scheme, without the government funding it is not possible to make discounts as high and the cost of travel will increase for you.

We have written to the Government to ask that they reconsider this decision. We have also written to a number of MPs to raise our concerns. Many MPs have told us they agree and have written to ministers at the Department for Transport to ask them whether they have considered the potential impact on eligible passengers' ability to travel.

From your letters and emails, we know that many of you rely on the half price fares. Some have also expressed concern that without it, they may not be able to travel. If you share these concerns, perhaps you could write to, or email, your local MP to encourage them to raise your concern with the Department for Transport.

If you wish to write to your local MP we have included a letter template that you may want to use, simply add your details, print and send.

Download Letter Here >>>

We will be in touch soon with more information on how you can take advantage of the half price travel scheme before it ends.

Yours Sincerely,

I use this concession a lot so will be sending a letter to my MP.
    • Optimist
    • By Optimist 23rd Aug 11, 9:34 AM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    Optimist
    829.50 is the cost of NT life membership for an individual aged 60+, whereas under 60s would pay 1,260. Joint memberships also available.
    Originally posted by LittleVoice

I was looking at annual joint senior memberships there seems to be no such thing in the English National Trust until after you pay 5 years full price, It is currently a joint adult membership at either 83 cash or 63 paying by direct debit.

The National Trust for Scotland has a joint senior membership at 56.50 cash or 42.38 paying by direct debit and given there is a reciprocal agreement you can visit both. Ergo the Scottish National Trust seems the way to go for seniors.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • tonybee1
    I have recently taken up Tai Chi at the age of 61 with the benefit of a 50% discount on the annual membership fee of 200, so for 2 a week I can attend as many sessions as I want.

http://www.taoist.org.uk

There are lots of venues all around the country, and so far I am really enjoying it.......... beats jogging lol
  • Chick100
    Edinburgh and Glasgow over 60
    There is a free magazine for those who stay in Edinburgh or Glasgow called 55 life.

I am also getting some lovely free beauty products from Alba Science, they send you products then you just do a quick survey to let them know your thoughts. Amazing!
  • roddycam
    O60 bus pass is free in Scotland and has unlimited use and mileage as long as u stay within scotland. Also, residents of Fife can travel on train to Edinburgh for 50p ew. Unfortunately, does not apply to edinburgh residents on the opposite direction.
    Originally posted by gpoher1949
    If you live near the English border, as I do, you can use your over 60 pass on journeys to Berwick on Tweed (which is in England) as long as your journey starts or terminates within Scotland. I presume it is the same if you live in Dumfries for example and travel to and from Carlisle.
    • Yogibear
    • By Yogibear 4th Jun 12, 7:35 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Yogibear
    If you live near the English border, as I do, you can use your over 60 pass on journeys to Berwick on Tweed (which is in England) as long as your journey starts or terminates within Scotland. I presume it is the same if you live in Dumfries for example and travel to and from Carlisle.
    Originally posted by roddycam
    the over 60s free bus travel in Scotland extends to Berwick and Carlisle,Dumfries is in Scotland so what`s your point?
    • LittleVoice
    • By LittleVoice 4th Jun 12, 9:10 PM
    • 8,489 Posts
    • 6,061 Thanks
    LittleVoice
    the over 60s free bus travel in Scotland extends to Berwick and Carlisle,Dumfries is in Scotland so what`s your point?
    Originally posted by Yogibear
    Maybe precisely because Dumfries is in Scotland and Carlisle isn't. The journey suggested was between those two locations.
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 13th Jun 12, 7:22 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    Hi,
    various people in this thread have mentioned the Boots Health Club and a discount of 10%. Anyone know if it is still available (to new subscribers)? I've looked at their web site and the only specific benefits for over 60s mentioned are a so-called "More Treats for the over 60s Scheme" that gives 10 Advantage Club points per on spending on Boots products - not the same as a 10% discount? Oh, and 25% off spectacles, not 30% any more

sid b
    • koala987
    • By koala987 13th Jun 12, 7:45 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 18,264 Thanks
    koala987
    Hi,
    various people in this thread have mentioned the Boots Health Club and a discount of 10%. Anyone know if it is still available (to new subscribers)? I've looked at their web site and the only specific benefits for over 60s mentioned are a so-called "More Treats for the over 60s Scheme" that gives 10 Advantage Club points per on spending on Boots products - not the same as a 10% discount? Oh, and 25% off spectacles, not 30% any more

sid b
    Originally posted by sidbee

This all changed in April and I'm afraid the Boots Health Club is not nearly as good as it was. You get 10 Advantage points per , not 10% off Boots products. I don't buy as much in Boots now since they stopped the previous scheme.

There is actually an MSE thread on this:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3888013
    Don't wait for the storm to pass
    Learn to dance in the rain

• sidbee
    • By sidbee 13th Jun 12, 7:57 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    There is actually an MSE thread on this:-
    Originally posted by koala987
    Ah thanks. Didn't see that. (your link deleted because, as a Newbie, I'm apparently not allowed to show it ??)

I don't think I will bother with joining their new scheme - don't go to Boots much anyway, but might have done if I had got 10% off! Their loss.

sid b
  • Birkonian
    According to Working Lunch and the featured directgov website if your 60th Birthday falls after 6th April 2010 you will have to wait until your 'normal' pension age to get this benefit. The eligible date appears to follow the same staggered calculations as the incremental dates which change the women's pension age from 60 to 65. This applies to both men and women for the pass.
    Originally posted by J & J
    If you live in the Merseyside area, you can still get your local bus and train pass at 60. The 'new' age for the national bus pass still applies.
    I am not sure if any other area transport authorities are funding the passes for over 60's, but it would be interesting to find out.
    Regards,

Birkonian
    • greyfox
    • By greyfox 4th Nov 12, 11:51 AM
    • 461 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    greyfox
    If you live in Greater London, you can get an Over 60's Oyster card. (It works in the same way as the Freedom Pass, which you can only get from female State Pension age, except that it can't be used on buses outside Greater London).

Details here http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/25830.aspx
    • kevin52
    • By kevin52 4th Nov 12, 5:26 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    kevin52
    Oyster
    If you live outside London and have an oyster card and a senior rail card, you can register this and receive one third off tube fares.
  • harryhound
    or if you a bit older simply go to London on a cheap rail ticket and then use your bus pass and actually see the two cities..
    • Dobiesmon
    • By Dobiesmon 9th Jan 13, 7:19 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Dobiesmon
    Well I was looking forward to my free bus pass which they don't do anymore ( nothwest) so now I am 61 still no pass or help towards heating with my disabled son and me as a carer .
    • HBP
    • By HBP 1st Apr 13, 12:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HBP
    Bus pass etc
    Yep, same here. No bus pass until I retire in 2 and a bit years! All I've managed to get since I was 60 last November is areduced price for Fish and chips at Dalkieth Place chip shop in Kettering!
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 1st Apr 13, 3:38 PM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,653 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/membership/?campid=PPC_Membership_Google_MembershipGeneric

No particular Senior's discount, but an offer for one year of twelve months for the price of nine if you join online.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • vivlfc
    • By vivlfc 16th Apr 13, 10:10 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    vivlfc
    Yep, same here. No bus pass until I retire in 2 and a bit years! All I've managed to get since I was 60 last November is areduced price for Fish and chips at Dalkieth Place chip shop in Kettering!
    Originally posted by HBP
    You get free prescriptions & sight tests once you get to 60. Just hope you don't need them!

Viv
  • Sarinee
    I've been told Prescriptions are free (in England) at the age of 60 if you now pay for yours.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th May 13, 12:24 AM
    • 17,031 Posts
    • 145,912 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have a NT membership with four of my under 17 grandsons on it so they get in free and my DD has a cares ticket as I'm registered disabled so she also gets in for nowtLast year when we were on the IoW we took the boys to Osbourne House and only had to pay for my son-in-law .very good value for a day out for 7 of us
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,791Posts Today

8,344Users online

Martin's Twitter