How can I prove that my son lives with me?

Due to concerns for my 12 year old Son's welfare at his mothers I have taken the decision to have him live with me permanently & see his mother for a few hours per week. There is no Court order in place however Social services have been involved. Last week I posted my ex a Parental Plan given details of when she will see my Son. This is all in line with what my Son wishes too. Various organisations including Family Lives have advised me to stop paying my ex Child Maintenance & also to put a claim in for child benefit which I have done. I have a suspicion that my ex will lie about how much contact she has with my son in order to keep receiving the child benefit. If this happens is there any way that I can prove that my Son lives with me?

Comments

• Brodiebobs
    Brodiebobs Posts: 1,032
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I helped a family member in a similar situation. I'll be honest it was difficult as the 'mum' wouldn't acknowledge anything sent to her, and HMRC were reluctant to withdraw in case it was 'dad' that was lying, as rightly or wrongly they assume mum is the care giver.

In the end they accepted a copy of the SS report agreeing child to live with dad, and paperwork from the school & doctor with dads address, but it was a long drawn out process and took months that they wouldn't backdate and mum pocketed whilst she wasn't seeing the child. :mad:
  • bflare
    bflare Posts: 464
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Brodiebobs wrote: »
    I helped a family member in a similar situation. I'll be honest it was difficult as the 'mum' wouldn't acknowledge anything sent to her, and HMRC were reluctant to withdraw in case it was 'dad' that was lying, as rightly or wrongly they assume mum is the care giver.

In the end they accepted a copy of the SS report agreeing child to live with dad, and paperwork from the school & doctor with dads address, but it was a long drawn out process and took months that they wouldn't backdate and mum pocketed whilst she wasn't seeing the child. :mad:

Oh dear that's just as I thought. To be honest I am not concerned about the Child Benefit however it would help towards my sons upkeep. I am just pre-empting what I may have to do if she does decide to be dishonest. She has already lied to SS about how much she see's my son but the lady I spoke to said that she had put me down as the main carer. I have also notified his school & only last night registered my Son at my doctors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure