Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Natasha
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt
    • 30th Mar 10, 1:03 PM
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt 30th Mar 10 at 1:03 PM
    Around a fifth of the population are 60 years old or over, so it's no wonder some companies (plus the Government) offer extra discounts and incentives to tempt the group's custom and loyalty. So we'd like to tap MoneySavers' knowledge for where these discounts, savings and promotions can be had.

Examples include annual winter fuel payments between 125 and 400, the Freedom TFL travel pass if you live in a London borough and 10% off Boots brand products if you join its free health club.

Please click reply to add your tips.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 05-04-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Page 7
    • penedawn
    • By penedawn 27th Nov 10, 11:07 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    penedawn
    Garden Centres
    The Wyvdale is now the Garden Centre Group and mentioned on the main pages of MSE and you can register easily online for a 5% discount. It is an easy to use site with lots of info and shows where your nearest centre is. They have examples of Xmas menus and Santa's Grottos, and you can have a close look at all the plants just by clicking on the image. They are split into groups so you can get an idea of what is suitable for your garden. Have a look. http://www.thegardencentregroup.co.uk
  • Schmintpeep
    Just found this thread Thanks for all the info
    • smileyhaggis
    • By smileyhaggis 9th Dec 10, 11:21 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    smileyhaggis
    Originally Posted by pineapple
    Both winter fuel payments AND the buss pass have to wait till you reach pensionable age which is now on a sliding scale depending on when you were born. I am 60 this September but will have to wait till March 2011 till I can collect my pension and the above. Others will have to wait a lot longer!

This doesn't apply in Scotland - 60 is when bus pass is issued and if you were 60 on a specific date (not sure which day this was) in September you'll get the winter fuel payment this year.

BUT......the pension sliding scale thingy does apply as it's a UK wide scheme.
    Originally posted by smileyhaggis
    Update: I'll be 60 next week....I applied for my bus pass at the end of November .........my local council organised it and I received it in the post yesterday.
    Looking forward to using it.
    • robbieroy
    • By robbieroy 4th Jan 11, 1:24 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    robbieroy
    Club 55 - Cheap rail travel in Scotland
    Club 55 begins again on January 17th 2011 and lasts until March 31st 2011. This scheme allows cheap rail travel in Scotland for for those who are aged 55 or over. Under the scheme, a return ticket costs only 18. Full details can be found here: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club55
    RR
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 3rd Mar 11, 11:07 PM
    • 6,312 Posts
    • 30,275 Thanks
    pineapple
    Car insurance when retired
    I mentioned to my car insurers that I had retired and was doing less mileage and I got a reduction on the renewal. Worth a try!
    • Lady_K
    • By Lady_K 3rd Mar 11, 11:55 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Lady_K
    I mentioned to my car insurers that I had retired and was doing less mileage and I got a reduction on the renewal. Worth a try!
    Originally posted by pineapple
    Wouldnt that just be because they reduced your miles and not because you have retired? You pay more for car insurance the more miles you do a year so they have probably just reduced them on your renewal for this year. Check last years and this years to see what they are covering you for
    Thanx

Lady_K
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 8th Mar 11, 9:59 AM
    • 6,312 Posts
    • 30,275 Thanks
    pineapple
    I didn't know about this.
    Many thanks!
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 8th Mar 11, 10:03 AM
    • 6,312 Posts
    • 30,275 Thanks
    pineapple
    Wouldnt that just be because they reduced your miles and not because you have retired? You pay more for car insurance the more miles you do a year so they have probably just reduced them on your renewal for this year. Check last years and this years to see what they are covering you for
    Originally posted by Lady_K
    Yes I wondered about this. But I think maybe it's also because I am now just covered for social/domestic/pleasure. Some people will still be doing the same amount of miles in retirement. So it's worth a mention anyway.
  • harryhound
    It is during retirement that men and women change places in terms of the gender most likely to have an accident.

This may be because the old boy has at last calmed down a bit, but is most probably because he is having medical problems and she is forced to put on her driving gloves again in the traffic, she has come to avoid. (EG Boy racers during the rush hour).
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 12th Mar 11, 2:19 PM
    • 4,457 Posts
    • 2,965 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    What are the Money-Saving Benefits of Being Aged 60+?
    I turn 60 next week, so just how will I benefit money-wise for being that age?
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 12th Mar 11, 2:25 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    Just 2 posts up from where your question is now are 147 pages answering it........

Top thread on this page
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 12th Mar 11, 2:35 PM
    • 4,457 Posts
    • 2,965 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Just 2 posts up from where your question is now are 147 pages answering it........

Top thread on this page
    Originally posted by dzug1
    I ain't sixty yet, but am losing my eyesight already!
    • alanq
    • By alanq 12th Mar 11, 6:13 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    alanq
    When you reach 60 you can get a free eye test!
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 12th Mar 11, 6:36 PM
    • 36,774 Posts
    • 47,454 Thanks
    McKneff
    You can get concessions at cinema's etc.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • luminated
    • By luminated 12th Mar 11, 6:51 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    luminated
    Bus Pass
    • luminated
    • By luminated 12th Mar 11, 6:52 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    luminated
    Oh yes a B&Q 10% discount cards applies on Wednesdays
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 12th Mar 11, 7:21 PM
    • 4,457 Posts
    • 2,965 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Useful tips there! But how do I prove I am over sixty? Do you think my pharmacist and optician would accept my B&Q card as proof that I am over sixty?

There is a CitizenCard to prove that you are over 16/18/21 but nothing to instantly prove you are over 60; I don't like carrying my driving licence with me!
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 12th Mar 11, 7:29 PM
    • 4,457 Posts
    • 2,965 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Bus Pass
    Originally posted by luminated
    Actually, no! I won't qualify for the old age bus pass just yet because it is now linked to the retirement age for women!

Similarly, I won't get Winter fuel payments until winter 2012/2013
    • luminated
    • By luminated 12th Mar 11, 7:34 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    luminated
    Actually, no! I won't qualify for the old age bus pass just yet because it is now linked to the retirement age for women!

Similarly, I won't get Winter fuel payments until winter 2012/2013
    Originally posted by Paul Varjak
    I'm 63 and was waiting at the door, for the morning opening, of the tourist info centre that issued them at that point. I hadn't realised the age had changed sorry.
    • luminated
    • By luminated 12th Mar 11, 7:37 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    luminated
    Useful tips there! But how do I prove I am over sixty? Do you think my pharmacist and optician would accept my B&Q card as proof that I am over sixty?

!
    Originally posted by Paul Varjak
    I assume you mean for free prescriptions?

I found my age was on the prescription and was not asked to further prove it. Same at opticians as they seemed to have it on their 'puter. Can't keep secrets!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,156Posts Today

7,285Users online

Martin's Twitter