PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fennel - Suggestions please!

Comments

• skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I have Googled and decvided to have a go at this (no offence to Pawpurrs)(minus the onion as I don't have one and using olive paste instead of chopped olives. oh, and grated cheddar for the cheese)

Ingredients:
    1 Tbsp. Butter
    1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
    1 Small onion, diced
    1 Small, head fennel, trimmed, cored, and very thinly sliced
    1/4 tsp. Dried basil
    1, 14 1/2 oz can Diced tomatoes
    1/4 cup Pitted olives, coarsely chopped
    1 1/2 lbs. Haddock Loins
    1/4 cup Grated parmesan
    1 cup Shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
    STEP 1:Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x-9 inch glass baking dish
    STEP 2: Melt butter with olive oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, fennel and basil and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and olives and simmer 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
    STEP 3: Place fish in prepared dish. Pour sauce over fish. Sprinkle with cheeses.
    STEP 4: Bake 25 minutes or until fish is cooked through and cheese is golden.

Wish me luck!!! Will let you know how it tastes.

Haven;t cooked something new for ages!!!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Mediterranean Roasted Veg

Quarter the fennel
    peel and quarter three or four onions.
    Peel several cloves of garlic
    slice a courgette

Put the fennel , garlic and onions in a tin with a good sprinkle of olive oil and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes, add the courgette and turn the veg over in the oil, cook for a further 10 - 15 minutes, serve as a side dish with roasted meat. You can put spuds in and also tomatoes if you have some. I cover the tin with foil until I put the courgette in then leave the foil off and allow the veg to brown.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • I like fennel just simply cut into quarters and roasted in the oven with a little olive oil, sea salt and balsamic vinegar. It is wonderful either hot or at room temperature on a ciabatta.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I started getting fennel in my veg bags (and quite embarrassingly had to google pictures to work out what it was!) - now I like the taste, and I think some people don't, but I just throw it in whatever I'm making - tastes great in a stir fry, or lightly fried with some chicken and put in the oven with some form of sauce.
    There was a great recipe in the sainsbury's magazine over the winter - i'll try and dig it out because i made for a special occasion (as i recall the incredients weren't exactly budget) but it tasted great to me!
    :happyhear
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Well, I made that recipe I posted above and it was delicious!!! So I am converted to fennel and will try out all your suggestions soon.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • lushkat
    lushkat Posts: 117 Forumite
    Hi there

I got two fennel bulbs in this week's organic box but inspite of looking for recipes on the recipe thread, I cant decide what to do with them.

Any ideas anyone?
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Hi

Found some fennel bulb recipes here

Think you can also BBQ them on skewers... assuming we ever get some more sunny weather, that is!!

HTH
    4 May 2010 <3
  • gwinnie
    gwinnie Posts: 9,881 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They're beautiful raw! I discovered this when we stayed with a Sardinian family last year. They laid out raw carrot, celery, tomato and thinly sliced fennel (lengthways), as an accompaniment to the main meal. I do this regularly now.
    Context is all.

"Free your mind and the rest will follow."

"Real eyes realise real lies"
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    gwinnie wrote:
    thinly sliced fennel

Gwinnie do you slice it using a mandolin, or just an ordinary knife?
    4 May 2010 <3
  • pickledtink
    pickledtink Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mmmmm. Roast them in the oven with some olive oil at a fairly moderate temperature. Baste them with the oil and their own juices. They go very well in a mixed veg roast, peppers, butternut, red onions, whole garlic cloves, aubergine, courgettes.
    Mouth watering now.....
    Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure