PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Mashed Potato

Comments

• Wow... Thanks to all who replied. I didn't know you could freeze mash.. but will be from now on. Not only money saving.. but time saving.. my favourite economical lesson.

Many thanks to astep70uk for asking the question
  • Thanks everyone for all your answers. Hopefully this'll save me some time :j
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • debjam
    debjam Posts: 132 Forumite
    I have tried this over the weekend - I froze mashed and part boiled for roast. Then used them yesterday for sunday roast, they came out lovely OH thought they tasted great (even though I put butter in mash and he is definite he doesn't like butter in his mash!).

I was a little concerned as the potatoes for roasting looked like they had black buts in them when I took them out of the freezer but they came out fine once they had been roasted so not sure what that was.

Thanks for the hints I will now be off to buy a large bag of spuds and will spend the next few days peeling, boiling/mashing and freezing.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Fan - bloody - tastic! ! !

C xx
  • Yahoo!! I have an answer for once!!
    Your roasties had black butts because they weren't wrapped securely and the cold got in. Yes, I know they were in a freezer, I am merely passing on a wisdom I collected recently!
    Never knew about freezing mash, though. My life just got a whole lot easier and I will be throwing out far less potatoes in the future, thanks!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi astep,

I've added your thread to the main 'Can I freeze mash thread' to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Thanks everyone for your help! A couple more questions then I'm done:

When I take my mash out of the freezer, does it have to be defrosted first before I nuke it in the microwave?

When I take my chips out of the freezer, do they also need to be defrosted before I deep fry them or can I just put them straight into the hot oil??
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    I nuke my frozen mash straight from the freezer. Depending on the size of the portions and if you nuke frozen peas, brocolli etc with it, but I cook for 5mins then turn the pototo over and cook for a further 5mins with other veg included.

The frozen chips would go straight into the fryer too- like frozen chips from the supermarket.
    more dollar$ than sense
  • When I take my mash out of the freezer, does it have to be defrosted first before I nuke it in the microwave?

You could cook on high straight from frozen OR you could do a couple of mins on defrost, then a couple on high. Never seems to make any difference.

I do defrost it first though if it will be cooked again, eg as a cottage pie topping, or as an ingredient in fishcakes/bubble and squeak etc

When I take my chips out of the freezer, do they also need to be defrosted before I deep fry them or can I just put them straight into the hot oil

Don't defrost - they will never be quite the same. Put straight in the oil from frozen, but go in slowly (not in a huge rush!) to minimise the oil getting too excited :eek: :eek:
  • made with a small bit of marge and semi-skimmed milk? got some leftover in the pan and I am trying to follow old-style

Thanks x
    £[strike]4,500 [/strike] 4,313.42 Loan (last payment Oct 2009!)
    £1,000 overdraft
    £11.30 Cataloge
    TOTAL DEBT = £5,324.92 :o

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills