Sky Protect

Reckon that the number of people taking up Sky Q ("free" maintenance) must be starting to bite with "Sky Protect" (aka D & G ). I've had 2 phone calls since Friday, plus a letter this am, all assuring me that my Sky warranty has come to an end (on a 3.5 yr old HD box -I DON'T THINK SO:rotfl:)

Don't know if its a new thing but the bumph refers to Protect Plus -for ONLY £108 they cover Sky kit plus one TV - At a quick glance, couldn't see whether there were restrictions on the TV age/type etc -but COULD be worth taking out if you have a particularly old TV ,I suppose:)

Comments

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sky Q equipment belongs to to Sky whereas HD boxes belonged to you thus you were responsible if they broke outside the warranty period.
    I don't see why you say "I don't think so" Certainly people have reported getting their boxes fixed for free when they threaten to leave but, in theory, for an HD box it is chargeable.
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Even if you have to pay Sky to fix it, it is only £65 so why pay £108 annually. They tried to sell me the policy with TV included but I have an old TV and I'll quite happy to get a new model when it does pack up.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Sky HD box £10 off Gumtree or eBay

Put viewing card in and twin online

Job done , £100 saved
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    brewerdave wrote: »
    I've had 2 phone calls since Friday, plus a letter this am, all assuring me that my Sky warranty has come to an end (on a 3.5 yr old HD box -I DON'T THINK SO:rotfl:)
    Sky+HD warranty is twelve months.

Why do you think it would be longer?:eek:
    newatc wrote: »
    Even if you have to pay Sky to fix it, it is only £65
    Back in the day, they used to swap them out for "refurbished" ones. Sky's stock of these is now depleted, so I would expect them to offer a deal on SkyQ to a customer complaining their box was faulty..

Browntoa's suggestion above is currently the wisest, and certainly any Insurance is a waste of money
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sky+HD warranty is twelve months.

Why do you think it would be longer?:eek:

Browntoa's suggestion above is currently the wisest, and certainly any Insurance is a waste of money

Sorry -you misunderstand me - I know the "warranty" ran out well over 2 years ago -just thought it was funny that they are only now telling me the HD box is out of warranty in order to flog me overpriced cover.:) I have a spare HD box already stored for future use.

I just thought that the addition of a TV cover was interesting eg say I took it out and my 8+ year old 51" plasma TV packed up during the period of cover -since plasmas are no longer available and very expensive to repair, presume they would have to supply a replacement LED/LCD TV - on that basis £108 seems a bargain!!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 30 April 2019 at 12:37PM
    Sorry -you misunderstand me - I know the "warranty" ran out well over 2 years ago -just thought it was funny that they are only now telling me the HD box is out of warranty in order to flog me overpriced cover.:) I have a spare HD box already stored for future use.
    I think they just send these particular flyers to every Sky customer at some stage and don't worry overly much how long they've had the equipment, as long as it's been over a year.

As an aside, I've just received a letter offering an "upgrade" to SkyQ, but my set up is such that I wouldn't benefit at all as I already have Sky Multi-Room with the extra decoder connected to the internet. They want me to pay £25 for set up and £13 a month extra for Q! :eek:

Like you, I'll be sticking with Sky+HD for as long as practically possible.
    I just thought that the addition of a TV cover was interesting eg say I took it out and my 8+ year old 51" plasma TV packed up during the period of cover
    I doubt they'd offer cover at all on such old equipment, check the terms and conditions. Even if they did, I doubt your premium would be only £108...
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think they just send these particular flyers to every Sky customer at some stage and don't worry overly much how long they've had the equipment, as long as it's been over a year.

I doubt they'd offer cover at all on such old equipment, check the terms and conditions. Even if they did, I doubt your premium would be only £108...

My initial point was that I'd received 3 communications in a few days ,which suggested to me that someone (in D & G possibly) was panicking about a drop in take up of cover, possibly because of the switch over to Q.

I read the flyer as thoroughly as possible, but couldn't see anything on it re the age of the TV covered just that it had to be in working condition, also nothing about higher premiums for older equipment.
    I won't be taking it up ....but it would be interesting to find someone who tested out the TV cover:)
  • [Deleted User]
    My initial point was that I'd received 3 communications in a few days ,which suggested to me that someone (in D & G possibly) was panicking about a drop in take up of cover, possibly because of the switch over to Q.
    Sounds more like you need to restrict Sky's ability to spam you! :)

Check your communication preferences in MySky.
  • [Deleted User]
    presume they would have to supply a replacement LED/LCD TV - on that basis £108 seems a bargain!!

I expect that you'd get some measly amount in cash. Your TV is ancient... ;)
  • Had a letter from Sky Protect asking for £138 to renew. I rang them, said it was too expensive and they offered to close my current contract & set me up as a new customer with the same cover but for 6 months at £4.99 then 6 months at £9.99 = just under £90. That's nearly 50 quid cheaper, just for a phone call.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback