PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What do i counter offer

Options

Comments

• Trixsie1989
    Trixsie1989 Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    Be as rude as you want! Only offer what you think its worth and certainly don't offer more to save face or look polite.

Completely agree with this! We went in low with ours, went up slightly and it's now back at our original offer after survey!
    Buying a house is effectively a business transaction, be as cheeky/rude with the offer as you like, they will only accept or decline :)
    Debt free finally :j
    First house purchase ... 2018 :j
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dont agree with being rude. If buyers were rude to me, i would be telling them so and also not to bother re offering cos i just now wouldnt sell to them, full stop, but thats just me. Politeness is free
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • JadeLouise
    JadeLouise Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input :)

Naturally I am a very shy person so this whole process has been very daunting to me. It took me ages to pluck up the courage to put in an offer at all. Sounds silly really, but if it weren't for my current living situation, I would have just not bothered with the fear of buying. I must say I have learnt a lot in this very short amount of time.

Despite being nervous, I pride myself on being polite and patient. Hence why I said about not wanting to sound rude ; what I meant was 'cheeky'. I appreciate the seller of course wants as much money as possible and what they value their house as both emotionally and financially affects this.

As a first time buyer who's only ever lived at home and no one I know owns a house, its a bit scary. I only have the internet to go by really, and my broker i suppose
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    JadeLouise wrote: »
    Went back with an offer of £142k. We are ftb with everything ready to go, not even renting so dont even have to worry about that. Hopefully this is in favour of us, then again, I understand depending on the vendors position, they may not care about that.

Hopefully you let them know that ?
  • JadeLouise
    JadeLouise Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    My god I wish i knew how to quote on mobile !
    Yes we have let them know where we stand :)
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Naturally I am a very shy person so this whole process has been very daunting to me. It took me ages to pluck up the courage to put in an offer at all. Sounds silly really, but if it weren't for my current living situation, I would have just not bothered with the fear of buying. I must say I have learnt a lot in this very short amount of time.

Despite being nervous, I pride myself on being polite and patient. Hence why I said about not wanting to sound rude ; what I meant was 'cheeky'. I appreciate the seller of course wants as much money as possible and what they value their house as both emotionally and financially affects this.

As a first time buyer who's only ever lived at home and no one I know owns a house, its a bit scary. I only have the internet to go by really, and my broker i suppose

It is daunting but don't be frightened by the process, most of us on this thread will have gone through it unscathed. You just need to be organised and patience is definitely a virtue because some parts of the process are out of your hands so it is pointless getting stressed out over it.

if you don't understand comments from a surveyor or something your solicitor has said ask them for clarification. There is a saying "the only stupid question is the question that is never asked"

Don't ever think acting professionally and politely is a sign of weakness. It isn't. Any moron can be rude. Much of the buying process is dependant on other people, especially if there is a chain. Having the goodwill of others can go a long way.
  • Trixsie1989
    Options

Have you got a copy of the mse first time buyers guide? You can download it rather than having a printed copy but I have found it invaluable :)
    Debt free finally :j
    First house purchase ... 2018 :j
  • M2808
    M2808 Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sometimes its worth saying £XXX,XXX is my limit but I'm happy to leave that offer on the table if you want to come back to me. Within a week I got the offer accepted at the price I wanted. Of course there is the risk of losing the house, which I did the first time but I think the second one is better anyway.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    35k profit on their house in just over three years with rising interest rates and Brexit looming might just be pushing it IMO. You should walk away, there will be plenty more houses for you to buy, and probably cheaper.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    35k profit on their house in just over three years with rising interest rates and Brexit looming might just be pushing it IMO. You should walk away, there will be plenty more houses for you to buy, and probably cheaper.

It really depends on what condition the property was in, I mean it may have been a dump and they got it for 30k BMV spending that 30k on improvements. In which case its only realistically a 5k profit...

Were there any other sales of similar properties in the area?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure