(indirect) discrimination of disablity at interview?

Comments

• I'm not understanding why you even whilst autistic cannot answer questions on empathy and emotions?

Were you specific in how you wanted an adjustment?

Asking them to ignore half of their process probably doesn't come under reasonable IMO
    I apologise if wrong but I am yet to see what adjustments you requested?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sharpsharp wrote: »
    out of the 4 people at the group interview 3 were done by hip looking young people who were chatty and mine was done by a much older male dressed formally and not very chatty

Wow, how discriminatory is that satement?

Are you saying older males who dress formally are incapable of assessment interviews?

You've fallen into the same stereotyping trap you are accusing the employers of.
  • chrisw wrote: »

Are you saying older males who dress formally are incapable of assessment interviews?

You've fallen into the same stereotyping trap you are accusing the employers of.
    lol nice catch!
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    chrisw wrote: »

Yes indeed.

The OP would do well to reflect long and hard about that comment!

Statistically, as interviews are generally conducted by more senior people, there is an increased likelihood of them being older than many applicants for more junior posts. Also, more senior people within an organisation are more likely to dress formally.

However, I am aware that what I have just said is also stereotyping to some extent! What the OP needs to do it to try and learn to recognise that, although I appreciate their condition could make that more difficult.

So, apologies if I have stereotyped again but hopefully you see what I mean!
  • sharpsharp
    sharpsharp Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 12:31PM
    shortcrust wrote: »
    So is working in a call centre just about whats in front of you? Or does it involve talking to colleagues about customers, and inferring things about what those customers might be thinking and feeling? Does it maybe involve reading customer records and gauging how a customer might be thinking and feeling, often by reading between the lines and understaning subtle coded language? Does it involve writing about how customers are thinking and feeling? Is doing stuff like that a really important part of the job, not just because it's required for effective direct contact with the customer, but because it's needed for decisions about prioritisation, escalation etc?

Skills and abilities that are required for a job don't stop being required for a job because someone is disabled.

Sure but the questioning was about on a personal level not work related, I do well in a work enviroment due to the formality and structure I could not for example in a non work related setting outright tell the difference between something thats mocking, something thats mildly teasing, someone pretending to tease but mocking but I have enough willpower to be polite and not get agitated with it and be formal.

I did give one example to employer of my empathy being so good that I often got praise from customers who rang back just to do so, and how I went out of my way to make sure a job was done right and such.
    chrisw wrote: »

Never said that anywhere. but I knew someone would jump to that conclusion so I was careful but the point was it showed the differences in their interviewing techniques, age may play a part in how someone interprets things, I may or may not of got the job if the younger staff interviewed me but at least it would of been everyone getting the same.

Perhaps they did make adjustments of some sorts I am in my 30s and the interviewer looked much older than me, the other interviewees looked barely into their 20s and their interviews were done by staff who looked their late 20s maybe they thought young people need young interviewers who knows.

All I could pick up on in the limited time I saw all the interviewers was the young ones were more "energetic" and friendly compared to mine who seemed he didn't want to be there.

Whilst you can call that stereotyping I call it just using my imagination and looking at potential reasons.

Yes indeed.

The OP would do well to reflect long and hard about that comment!

Statistically, as interviews are generally conducted by more senior people, there is an increased likelihood of them being older than many applicants for more junior posts. Also, more senior people within an organisation are more likely to dress formally.

However, I am aware that what I have just said is also stereotyping to some extent! What the OP needs to do it to try and learn to recognise that, although I appreciate their condition could make that more difficult.

So, apologies if I have stereotyped again but hopefully you see what I mean!

I realise this, however the company dress code is casual they even stated they don't like uniforms the company itself kept directly or indirectly mentioning how hip and modern they are to work for and not needing uniforms/dressing casual as part of that. Nothing wrong with dressing formal I turned up with a shirt and tie very formally the presentation was done by a senior member of staff who had baggy t shirt and trousers and talked about the staff nights out being rowdy and people having far too much, the person who gave the tour was far older than me and dressed casual and she was a manager, the managers/team leaders we spoke to on tour all dressed casual.

So nothing wrong with being formal dressed but it makes me think of the person who gave me interview being a odd one out may of potentially effected my chances.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sure but the questioning was about on a personal level not work related, I do well in a work enviroment due to the formality and structure I could not for example in a non work related setting outright tell the difference between something thats mocking, something thats mildly teasing, someone pretending to tease but mocking but I have enough willpower to be polite and not get agitated with it and be formal.

I did give one example to employer of my empathy being so good that I often got praise from customers who rang back just to do so, and how I went out of my way to make sure a job was done right and such.

Never said that anywhere. but I knew someone would jump to that conclusion so I was careful but the point was it showed the differences in their interviewing techniques, age may play a part in how someone interprets things, I may or may not of got the job if the younger staff interviewed me but at least it would of been everyone getting the same.

Perhaps they did make adjustments of some sorts I am in my 30s and the interviewer looked much older than me, the other interviewees looked barely into their 20s and their interviews were done by staff who looked their late 20s maybe they thought young people need young interviewers who knows.

All I could pick up on in the limited time I saw all the interviewers was the young ones were more "energetic" and friendly compared to mine who seemed he didn't want to be there.

Whilst you can call that stereotyping I call it just using my imagination and looking at potential reasons.

I realise this, however the company dress code is casual they even stated they don't like uniforms the company itself kept directly or indirectly mentioning how hip and modern they are to work for and not needing uniforms/dressing casual as part of that. Nothing wrong with dressing formal I turned up with a shirt and tie very formally the presentation was done by a senior member of staff who had baggy t shirt and trousers and talked about the staff nights out being rowdy and people having far too much, the person who gave the tour was far older than me and dressed casual and she was a manager, the managers/team leaders we spoke to on tour all dressed casual.

So nothing wrong with being formal dressed but it makes me think of the person who gave me interview being a odd one out may of potentially effected my chances.
    Or a more experienced interviewer, perhaps with experience of disabilities.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    Or a more experienced interviewer, perhaps with experience of disabilities.

Maybe, maybe not but thats a what if but I did mention the autism when I had interview and he said he had no idea and no one had told him about it and he said he didn't really know about autism.

For a what if maybe more experienced means hes more used to a old fashioned interview style even though he has years of experience I don't think thats discriminatory but it does have a everyone is the same idea rather than take things into account.

I will admit one of my flaws which is directly linked to my autism is even when I am relaxed I don't give off the best body language even though I always smile and use hand gestures at interview maybe they picked up on that as well and didn't tell me but that would be more evidence that they expected people to act a certain way and not showing actual work skill.

There was a role play part of interview but they told me I did well at that.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I have to ask, are you in Scotland?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 5:23PM
    Maybe, maybe not but thats a what if but I did mention the autism when I had interview and he said he had no idea and no one had told him about it and he said he didn't really know about autism.

For a what if maybe more experienced means hes more used to a old fashioned interview style even though he has years of experience I don't think thats discriminatory but it does have a everyone is the same idea rather than take things into account.

I will admit one of my flaws which is directly linked to my autism is even when I am relaxed I don't give off the best body language even though I always smile and use hand gestures at interview maybe they picked up on that as well and didn't tell me but that would be more evidence that they expected people to act a certain way and not showing actual work skill.

There was a role play part of interview but they told me I did well at that.
    Hang on a minute. You told them you had a disability at interview. Not before interview? If so, how on earth did you expect that to make a reasonable adjustment on the spot and in the middle of interviewing people. That's not reasonable. It would be totally unreasonable!

That said, I think you are wasting your time. You have no evidence of any discrimination. Whether there was or wasn't, evidence is required. You don't have it.
  • 3rd time lucky....

WHAT REASONABLE ADJUSTMENTS DID YOU ASK THEM TO MAKE???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure