Not a rant about cyclists - just a question

Exemplar
Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 8 August 2018 at 9:46AM in Public transport & cycling
https://postimg.cc/gallery/299f522k8/

So I drive to work because I have to. On the days I don't need the car I cycle and use the cycle lanes. I'm not precious about my bike and use it as I use the car, a tool to fulfil a function.

For the past few days I have noticed what I would class as sporting cyclists using a particularly dangerous part of my route. My post this morning is to just understand why these guys would rather cycle dangerously than use the cycle path provided (in the pictures you will see it, the cycle lane is the larger part, pedestrians get the narrower part closer to the road).

I'm sure that there are many arguments as to why from either side but I'm interested as to why someone would both put themselves in harms way from a vehicle over a pedestrian and also why It's considered acceptable to retard the traffic so badly (as was the case this morning).

I'm not after an argument (although it will turn in to one as usual) rather a genuine reason. Do roads offer more safety? Are there less hazards? is it OK to not use a (in this case) well maintained cycle lane?

Picture 1 = Aerial view
Picture 2 = South to North Street View

299f522k8
'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    What a strange post.

My response (as a non-cyclist) to your first two questions is that it depends on the road and the cycle lane and individuals assessment of the risks of each. For your final question the answer is always yes unless cyclists are actually prohibited from using the road.
  • Exemplar
    agrinnall wrote: »
    What a strange post.

My response (as a non-cyclist) to your first two questions is that it depends on the road and the cycle lane and individuals assessment of the risks of each. For your final question the answer is always yes unless cyclists are actually prohibited from using the road.

What an odd reply,

Thanks though...

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Who knows?

You always get a whole batch of numpty cyclist on the roads at Tour de France time of year.

Why do I come across gaggles of them on country lanes riding black bikes, wearing all black clothing and black helmets? They think they're too cool for 'be bright be seen', although I doubt they'll feel so cool when they're splattered over a car bonnet.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Exemplar
    Bit harsh...

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have not looked at your pictures, but often use the road rather than the cycle path because that makes it possible to maintain higher speeds. Cycle paths are designed for low speeds and so often have sharp bends and poor surfaces that can only be negotiated by slowing down almost to the speed of a jogger.
  • Exemplar
    agrinnall wrote: »
    What a strange post.

I have not looked at your pictures, but often use the road rather than the cycle path because that makes it possible to maintain higher speeds. Cycle paths are designed for low speeds and so often have sharp bends and poor surfaces that can only be negotiated by slowing down almost to the speed of a jogger.
    Thanks for a sensible reply, good answer.

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Who knows?

You always get a whole batch of numpty cyclist on the roads at Tour de France time of year.

Why do I come across gaggles of them on country lanes riding black bikes, wearing all black clothing and black helmets? They think they're too cool for 'be bright be seen', although I doubt they'll feel so cool when they're splattered over a car bonnet.

If you can't see them you need to urgently cut up your license and send it back to the DVLA
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Exemplar wrote: »
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/299f522k8/

So I drive to work because I have to. On the days I don't need the car I cycle and use the cycle lanes. I'm not precious about my bike and use it as I use the car, a tool to fulfil a function.

For the past few days I have noticed what I would class as sporting cyclists using a particularly dangerous part of my route. My post this morning is to just understand why these guys would rather cycle dangerously than use the cycle path provided (in the pictures you will see it, the cycle lane is the larger part, pedestrians get the narrower part closer to the road).

I'm sure that there are many arguments as to why from either side but I'm interested as to why someone would both put themselves in harms way from a vehicle over a pedestrian and also why It's considered acceptable to retard the traffic so badly (as was the case this morning).

I'm not after an argument (although it will turn in to one as usual) rather a genuine reason. Do roads offer more safety? Are there less hazards? is it OK to not use a (in this case) well maintained cycle lane?

Picture 1 = Aerial view
    Picture 2 = South to North Street View

299f522k8

The general advice is that if you are doing more than 18mph then use the road not the cycle lanes that are shared (or where pedestrians might use them) both for safety and to maintain a steady speed.

A B road is a lot safer than riding on an A road, particularly as the limits are typically 30 or 40.

Cycle lanes are routinely not maintained, full of rubbish/glass/debris etc hence why I rarely use them
  • Exemplar
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    The general advice is that if you are doing more than 18mph then use the road not the cycle lanes that are shared (or where pedestrians might use them) both for safety and to maintain a steady speed.

A B road is a lot safer than riding on an A road, particularly as the limits are typically 30 or 40.

Cycle lanes are routinely not maintained, full of rubbish/glass/debris etc hence why I rarely use them

Good reply again, thanks.

I think we may just be lucky here in Newark that the cycle lanes certainly seem to well kept.

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    If you can't see them you need to urgently cut up your license and send it back to the DVLA

My eyesight is fine thanks. However, I am not the only person on the road.

What is not fine is a person all in back, so so much as a light on their bike or a reflective strip on their clothing against a dark hedgerow cycling under a tree canopy that makes them near invisible on windy lanes with a 60mph speed limit.

Why would anybody be so stupid to leave themselves wide open to the risk of getting hit by a vehicle like that? Complete lack of common sense for vanity.

Oh, and I cycle myself, so no need for motorist bashing.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure