Ford Mustang car hire in California

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Soft luggage is best with a Mustang convertible. You might get one hard case in the boot but not much else.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    owenjt wrote: »
    What's the issue with using a US website? I'm using a special link as part of my International Student Identity Card that gets me discounted rental on Alamo, Enterprise and National. If I use the UK websites it's more expensive.

There are only 2 of us.
    Insurance and taxes,

What’s the difference in prices
  • owenjt
    owenjt Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    stevie11 wrote: »
    As well as the insurance issue, previously explained there may well be additional taxes on top using the US site. Booking an all inc rate through a UK broker you shouldn't be stung for additional fees.

Being a student, are you under 25? Prices will be on the high side due to that. What are you dates?
    No I'm over 25. 22 August (LA airport) - 5 September 2018 (San Francisco)
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Natives over there don't need the same insurance cover we do, it's usually included in their own car insurance. Hence the price difference.
    Thanks. Will check out the site i'm using.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    No I'm over 25. 22 August (LA airport) - 5 September 2018 (San Francisco).

A quick search and the rates are very high over £900 on the UK web sites. Now it is peak season and American public holiday whilst you are there so may be low supplies.

I still say expect some unwanted surprises if you are still tempted to booking via a US site unfortunately.

Good luck.
  • owenjt
    photome wrote: »
    Insurance and taxes,

What’s the difference in prices
    So Alamo is 880.76 USD (roughly £671). Compare to somewhere like Enterprise at £1,110.52.

Just looked at https://www.rentalcars.com and can get a Mustang there for £702. That's with Budget rental.

So re insurance, what should I be looking for? Does rental include this? The Budget one above includes Theft Protection, Third-Party Liability, Supplemental Liability Insurance, Collision Damage Waiver, Airport Surcharge, Local Taxes. Sounds good no?
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    wow, rates are very high for the convertibles !!!!!

With Alamo, I could get the Stang for £738 (or £725 with Dollar)!!!8230;
    However, that's a stupid amount of money for that car, not worth it!!!

rentalcars with budget is showing £717 , same process with the cars as Alamo & Dollar...!!!8230;!!!8230;

Short answer is, booked in £ through UK sites...!!!8230;
    or, pay in $ , get stung, and tell us all about it and how much extra you paid at pickup on the 7th September :):)
  • owenjt
    So re insurance, what should I be looking for? Does rental include this? The Budget one above includes Theft Protection, Third-Party Liability, Supplemental Liability Insurance, Collision Damage Waiver, Airport Surcharge, Local Taxes. Sounds good no?
    Can anyone advise re insurance? Confused as to what I need to do.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you do a search on https://www.moneymaxim.co.uk they have options to give you CDW and SLI.

This is what you need.

If you're doing a trip with luggage don't bother with a Mustang. Hire an SUV. The height will give you better views.

If you want to drive a Mustang your local Ford dealer will arrange you a test drive.

https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/research/request-a-test-drive?searchid=ppc:UK-Mustang-Test-Drive-Exact:Mustang-Test-Drive-Exact:ford%20mustang%20test%20drive:e:m:g:GOOGLE&gclid=CjwKCAjwqarbBRBtEiwArlfEIJpmSsvxcNbOM7CwqIEpkwIB-153uF10rP4lFXByeE-oAAIl6RWYehoCqbsQAvD_BwE
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite

Owen, if you book through a UK agent usually the rate will include all necessary insurance. Things to look out for are the excess, if you get a zero excess that is a great but you can purchase an excess plan in the UK that will also usually include items such as lost keys, damage to windows, under carriage etc. A single trip or annual policy pre purchased in the UK will work out cheaper than purchasing at the desk in the US.

I can understand your desire to rent a mustang, I have got the tshirt and bought the car but those rates are crazy, especially when you can get a standard or large size car for £300+.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!

You have had good advise, re renting thorough a U.K. broker where insurance will be included.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure