I’ve no idea what I’m doing! :’(

Hi All,

I feel so lost I don’t know which way to turn. I was declared bankrupt on the 26th July (self declared) and I had an interview with my official receiver.

In honesty the OR was fantastic. He went through my budget and told me it was ok. He deemed an IPA wouldn’t be applicable based on my disposable income.

Prior to going bankrupt StepChange advised me to open a new bank account which I did. After my initial interview my OR told me to ‘live my life’ and carry on as ‘normal’ which up until today I’ve done.

I’ve gone shopping and my card was declined. When I rang my ‘basic bank acc’ provider (Santander) they’ve told me my account has been frozen.

I can understand why when the OR told me to carry on. Can anyone help me please.

I suffer with depression and anxiety and this is just adding to it! :(

Comments

• LaLaLa34
    LaLaLa34 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Santander are extremely fussy with bankrupts. Open up a new account asap with Barclays or Nationwide and change everything over to them. They give basic accounts but with chip & pin & DD abilities.
  • The problem is my account is froze. So I can!!!8217;t move anything now anyway. I liked Santander because I was able to have a !!!8216;top up!!!8217; card and send across only the money I was spending. Is Santander that bad?

Shouldn!!!8217;t my OR have told me my account was being froze? Especially when he told me to carry on as normal?
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It will have been the bank who froze the account, not the OR
  • Hi another question. My OR hadn!!!8217;t asked for bank statements credit card statements etc etc. Is that normal?
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    did you have debt with them included in the bankruptcy? if so, this would probably be the reason they froze it. otherwise, it will be frozen whilst the OR checks your transactions, and only after that will it reopen or close completely. speak to the OR and Santander
    look at another bank with whom you have had no previous dealings. someone who will offer direct debits and a debit card, as said above.
    here is a list of basic bank accounts, as per Step Change
    https://www.stepchange.org/Portals/0/documents/media/Basic-bank-accounts-list-January-2017.pdf
  • Thanks @craig1981.

No I didnt advise of any debt on Santander. I was advised to open the account by StepChange prior to completing the bankruptcy process. My OR is aware that Ive got Santander as a new account so told me to keep using it. Is it normal for them not to ask for bank statements and CC statements?
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Santander are notorious for not being very BR tolerant. Is it possible to open a Barclays basic account - you need to go into the a bank and specifically ask for one. Then get all your income moved to it as quickly as possible.
    In the meantime - you could try going into a Santander branch and ask if its temporary or if they intend to close the account.

It is normal for any bank account to be frozen (by the bank - not the OR) and its something we tell all prospective new BRs on this website all the time.
  • Santander are notorious for not being very BR tolerant. Is it possible to open a Barclays basic account - you need to go into the a bank and specifically ask for one. Then get all your income moved to it as quickly as possible.
    In the meantime - you could try going into a Santander branch and ask if its temporary or if they intend to close the account.

It is normal for any bank account to be frozen (by the bank - not the OR) and its something we tell all prospective new BRs on this website all the time.

Ok. I'll look to do something else then. I did make Santander aware that I was going BR and they opened a basic account for me. However I will look to move elsewhere. I know I've asked this a couple of time's but I've not had an answer yet. Is it normal for the OR not to ask for bank statements and CC statements. My OR hasn't asked for any of this information.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    To the Gardener

Sorry to hijack this users thread but can i ask a few questions as you are good lol
    Do they check the income of other adults in the household?
    Do they want receipts on everything you buy and pay out for?
    Do they require you to do card transactions only and not allow cash withdrawels?
    How often do they check your account?
    I have a CC debt with Natwest and overdraft so what happens when your account is frozen? If Natwest take all your wages for the overdraft etc then i will have no money and bills will not get paid. I am up to date with all bills.
    When they do an IPA for 3 years, when you are discharged can they increase the IPA payments? If so does that mean you are not really discharged as you are still in contact with your OR?

Sorry for the questions

I want to open a basic account with Nationwide but they state not while you already have a current account elsewhere.
  • Helen14
    Helen14 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Hi,

OR has sent me letter to forward to the banks, once they are frozen. They are basically stating: please release all fund to the account holder. When I had interview, I mentioned my concerns about bank accounts being frozen, so OR sent me letter the following day, way before account was actually frozen.
    I have 2 basic accounts: 1 Santander and 1 Nationwide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure