PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• So, weekend was spendy as first shop of the month done and we've succumbed to the takeaway already.

Total spend £72.37/£250

That is on a shop at Aldi, Morrison's and a curry takeaway. No more takeaways now, must stay strong. The tiredness got too much on Friday and I couldn't be bothered with the effort of cooking.

We have enough food in for this week, I'll make a new menu for this week and slap it on the fridge door.
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Hello all! :wave:

I'd like to give this a go for the month, don't keep much track of what we spend currently although we are inherently thrifty.

Can I go for £200 from 06th August to 03rd September please? I'm thinking £50 a week for 2 adults a cat and a dog should be easy right?!
  • £7.32 spent today, that should more or less be it for the week - we'll need bread and possibly celery but hopefully my allowance of £10 for this week will be ok..

£108.20/£240 spent so far
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Good morning everyone. well such a change in the weather here. It has been raining for the last few days and the garden is loving it. I have beautiful chives in the garden does anyone know if I they freeze well. Last two days NSDs so everyday is a bonus.:)

Yes, you can freeze them. Wash the chives and dry them (wrap in a clean dishtowel and pat gently). Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and open freeze for about 1-2 hours. Transfer the frozen pieces to a freezer safe container or a bag. They should keep for 6 months; after that the taste will be OK but the texture might not be as good.

Week 1 spends came to a total of £41.87/£175 and 4/35 NSDs. Somewhat more than I had planned on spending :o but it did include some good ys bargains :) as well as top-up of stores, a small gammon joint and fresh F&V from the market.

The only thing I'll need to buy this week is a pint of fresh milk and I'll be using up the contents of the fridge before we go on holiday on Sunday. :) I've already chopped and frozen 2 red peppers that I know I won't be using and am planning on making up sandwiches for the journey. DH thinks it's a bit of a faff but I prefer to do that rather than pay service station prices for "not a lot". :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 6 August 2018 at 7:27PM
    £16.08 spent since last post.

Had bbq and ate in the garden today.
    OH had venison burgers from the freezer in white baps with two corn on the cob slathered in butter (I do mean slathered and am pretty sure he couldn't really taste the corn :rotfl:).
    I had vegan sausages and burgers with a corn on the cob (very tasty as it was, no vegan butter required) and salad. Also did veggie skewers. Yum. Haven't finished all my food but can snack on it later.

£102.62/£155.
    £52.38 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Main shop done today, coming in at £67.29
    The lady that had been behind me at the checkout stopped me outside and asked did I mind telling her how much my shopping came to, she was astounded when I gave the total
    (& I said that was 2 weeks for me 2 large men (sons) and 2 puddies..) She has just started shopping at good ole Mr Lidel.. As I said to her, it's saved me a few quid this year.:j
    A small purchase yesterday to add too, off to total up..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Spends since last time are
    B and M: £2.16 on chopped tomatoes, sugar and soup.
    Morrisons: £0.97 on bananas; and £1.80 and £2.29 according to the bank (but don't know what on, or whether it is solely groceries).
    £1.80 on Revels and Maltesers in work for DD2.

Total of £9.02
    Off to update
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    £6.12 spent since yesterday.

1,130g sweet potatoes, 5 peppers (4 orange 1 red), 2 iceberg lettuces (reduced), 2 packs tomatoes (reduced), 500g red grapes (reduced), and 400g blueberries (reduced).

£108.74/£155.
    £46.26 left.

I try to reduce the amount of plastic but reduced items are something I still buy despite the plastic. I know I basically justify it as to me it would be plastic with produce in causing more problems if not bought. Waste of plastic and waste of produce which is something I hate too. Does anyone else feel this way?
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    £25.85/£100, including more Muller Corner yoghurts than one person would reasonably want to eat in a month, but they're 12 for £3, so who can say no.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I feel quite disorientated - day 7 of August, and 5 of those have been NSDs! That's not deliberate - wish it was - but I've been too busy to run to the shops. And we haven't yet become desperate for anything, though the bananas are running dangerously low... I've done another dash down to Mum's new home, to unpack the last few boxes before she did herself a mischief trying to squeeze her walker past them, and we're replacing our dilapidated 15 year old hillbilly-style chicken shed & run, so the garden is strewn with poles, weld-mesh, splintered wood and ecstatic chickens, who aren't normally allowed "out" until half an hour before dusk. The slugs are running for cover and the kittens are baffled by birds that take a dim view of their attempts to play with them, and chase them back!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure