MSE News: Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling...

Almost 700,000 British victims of the Equifax hack are receiving letters offering free identity protection - but only if they hand over personal details - and directing them to a helpline that many say isn't working properly...
Read the full story:
'Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling - here's what to do'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I got through!

There's little point calling the number. I doubt the folk at the other end in the Philippines can do much.

Apparently, the letters should mention a URL unlucky punters can visit to sign up for Equifax Protect. Mine didn't.

The URL they gave me is: https://www.equifax.co.uk/protect. You'll need to use the reference number included in your Equifax letter to get the free stuff.

BTW, Equifax's website is very unfriendly. They could learn a few lessons from Noddle.

If you want to take advantage of Equifax WebDefend (called WebDetect on their website) you have to supply additional information. I think I'll pass on that. I don't want to give them more information to lose. :rotfl:
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I got a free Equifax report for 30 days in 2014 but have never paid a monthly fee. I entered the reference number from my letter on the URL above and clicked on the registered member login box. Without entering any personal details I was immediately verified and signed up for the Equifax Protect product.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Equifax are trying as hard as they can to sweep this under the carpet - and attempting to prevent people from taking legal action against them by using terms and conditions carefully inserted into the anti-fraud systems they're encouraging people to use.

Here's a recent update on the situation, which gets worse daily:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/01/equifax_breach_uk_notification/
  • I would suggest that if you are affected the last thing to do is hand over further details which will be stored on their computers and likely be hacked into again.

If they tell you your details are secure, I think we can virtually guarantee they aren't.

The promise of a free monitoring service for which you hand over further details is insulting and patronising.

This is a serious breach, when you think how strict Data Protection Laws are supposed to be they need to be taken to task over this.
  • Doc_N
    Magnetron wrote: »
    This is a serious breach, when you think how strict Data Protection Laws are supposed to be they need to be taken to task over this.

Too right - and it's only just becoming clear to people just how serious it is, and what the potential is for identity fraud, along with several other types of fraud.

The UK financial press and regulators seem to be sleeping through this, but the consequences are potentially enormous.
  • farenuf
    farenuf Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My letter arrived yesterday,I am offered those free services of protection,I have had nothing to do with Equifax personally.I will not be taking up there kind offer to protect me even better ha ha ha.
    Is CIFAS protection worth consideration ?
  • ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I received the Equifax letter yesterday. Today I received a text from Nat West saying my account had been deactivated and to click on the link. Obviously a scam as I don't have a NatWest account. Maybe we should post any unusual activity on here to alert others.
  • Doc_N
    farenuf wrote: »
    My letter arrived yesterday,I am offered those free services of protection,I have had nothing to do with Equifax personally.I will not be taking up there kind offer to protect me even better ha ha ha.
    Is CIFAS protection worth consideration ?

CIFAS protection is useful, and works. The downside, though, is that it holds up anything that requires an online credit check by a few days. That may not bother you unduly, but I found it an absolute pain on a regular basis.
  • TiVo_Lad
    TiVo_Lad Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't bother calling the helpline. All they will really do is help you sign up (for free) to Equifax Protect, which you can do for yourself via the Equifax Website. The ref number on your letter is the code you need. They won't ask for payment details. And if you think you're being asked for MORE personal information to sign up, they already have this information; it's just being used to verify identity.

Yes this breach shouldn't have happened and yes it will happen again to someone else; welcome to the online world. But Equifax are probably more secure now than almost anyone. Horses and Stable Doors anyone? And remember, they have all your information anyway, so take advantage of something for free that will help to protect you. Alternatively, put your head in the sand and wait until it's too late and someone's racked up a pile of debt in your name without you knowing.
  • Doc_N
    But take whatever precautions you can to avoid signing away any legal rights you may have against Equifax during the signing up process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure