2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Another vote for Open Office here - it is almost the same!
  • Hi,
    I just want to say thankyou all for posting. It is helping me get through some tough times.
    I think of you as virtual friends who against the odds achieve there goals, Frigaldom , what a journey, I loved reading your story, Kerry women, love your bucket list, Frankie, thanks for posting daily, please continue and all of you.
    NSD 10/12
    This year I’m stepping outside my comfort zone , taking better care of myself and avoiding negative news and people.
    Procrastination is my nemesis, I always worried about getting it wrong. but if I don’t try I wont know what I can do.
    No debts except my mortgage which I plan to clear this year if things go to plan.
  • I am another who reads all the posts but do not post myself very often, I am also on other money forums which I keep up with. I do not really NEED to be particularly frugal now, just like to keep on top but always find I can learn things. Nothing much happens in my life, just had 2nd new hip but thats almost at the post op stage, keeping my freezers etc with plenty of food in, looking forward tobeing able to go food shopping again, not that I need any - have plenty in - but just like looking at what is out there and am getting fed up with 4 walls, soon be out there. Nothing more to contribute but am always watching you all xxxx
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2018 at 12:24PM
    welcome littlesimplelivingcottage lovely to have you with us , everyone on here is very helpfull , theyll all give you lots of good advice

well im back from my jollies , ive had a whirlwind couple of weeks with my American friend , but now back to being Cinderella and not doing much , Ive GOT to get rid of the weight i put on over the holidays , im not making excuses , the first week we was in Cornwall as you know , and that was fine , the 2nd week we was together we was in London, I feel sooooooooo sorry for you lot in that area , The food prices are HIGH. we didnt get any meals in the hotel so all meals had to be bought , and wow some were expensive , so we got to eating a lot of junk , purely for the price , Mc Donalds was supper every night , We walked miles but i can still feel the weight ive piled on . My friend ,,,,,,,i love her to bits , she's got a heart of gold , but Frugal isnt a word she knows , its been hard work with her . Ive looked for bargains. but her idea of a bargain and mine arnt the same , for instance , her hero is Aidan Turner from Poldark , he was appearing in theatre, she went EVERY NIGHT in the front row , tickets cost £100 each . !!!!! i went a couple of nights , i was up in the gods in the £10 seats . oh yes she was happy , but its all paid on a credit card that she now has to work all year to pay off, as she says life is for living and enjoying ,,,,,,,,,,which is true , but at a price. but as i said weve had a fab time , seen and done lots of new things and ive got wonderful memories to think back on , Now im finding it hard to get back into cooking , ( Ive been spoiled having all my meals cooked) i made a dinner yesterday , If you have a Jack Fultons , they now do a large cooked chicken for £2.99. im loving them , and made double amount for dinner yesterday using the chicken , so didnt have to cook today , yay . Also Brewers Fayre are doing 2 main meals for £8.99 , id told my grown up kids i wasnt bringing presents back from London , so ill treat them to a meal instead using this offer , nice to be back , im catching up on reading everyones posts
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Morning :)

Your holiday sounds wonderful mol though expensive for your friend.

Thank you sweetbriar I often feel like I'm just talking rubbish on here but the regular posting helps to keep me to re-focus when I lose my frugal way.

Today id my DS' 21st birthday. Card bought but I need to pick up the cake and candles on my lunch break . I'm a terrible baker and I don't enjoy it. Life is too short for somethings, so it's a Victoria sponge at morrisons!

I had a catch up with my ex last night, which went surprisingly 'okay' We've got a meal tonight with all the children for my son's birthday and that it'll be the first we've all been together since Christmas (which was a disaster!) so fingers crossed. I guess it just takes a while, but I'd like it to be all as friendly as possible.

Other than that, I've done some washing that's drying on the clothing rack and my lunch is made :)
  • Hi all. I've been lurking on this post for months but now i really need to get my finger out and join the challenge. please may i join?
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    FrankieM - Wishing your DS a Happy 21st Birthday.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Happy Birthday to your Ds FrankieM
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you Kerry woman and mol

And welcome stay_at_home_mum

Morning :)

A lot of alcohol drunk last night but a good night had by all, I think.

I forget how noisey it all gets when we are altogether. 2 parents, 4 adult children, various partners, 4 toddlers and 1 baby....!

Back to normal and a break from the alcohol for a few weeks for me :)

Lunch and tea sorted and I need to get some washing on tonight. I've no idea where it's all come from this week.

I need to also pick up a bit more salad and throw some money at my ExDH who seems to have paid for everything last night and then I'll be able to see where I am before pay day on Friday.

Happy Wednesday Hump Day everyone :)
  • Morning all,

I keep going over and over my budgets, I wonder if this is a thing in the hopes I can save a pound or two here and there.

Last night I fixed the other half's pants, the button had gone. I seem to be fixing them monthly but at least they are still going. We're both particular about what we wear so tend to keep things as long as possible. I wear 1 dress to work and have been wearing it for 2 years!

I've been pondering looking at dusting of the slow cooker at home, it's earlier than normal but we seem to be so busy lately that it would be worth it to have a proper meal and not just chips. Does anyone have any recipes? I do fall foul of just the bol and the currys.

Hope everyone is doing well in their frugal ways
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport