PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£45 per week housekeeping

Comments

• mrsmac10
    mrsmac10 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Hi ceegee

Good thread with lots of friendly advice

I have recently retired , but not through choice and I am now getting to grips with reducing bills

I do not have a set budget although it would be my aim but for years I have kept lots of "store cupboard" items in just in case

This makes buying offers or RTC stuff so much easier

I have found my morrison really good for whoopsies around 2.30 when asda is around 8pm

Last week I got a huge pasta dish for 15p and had rtc garlic bread in the freezer Meal plans changed but I fed both of us with salad for about 60p :D

Can you use a little bit of your rainy day money to restock store cupboard stuff and give you a bit of leeway

I am totally with the ops on monthly as weekly is pretty restrictive for offers

B&M quite often have goods reduced which are short dated as do Herons. Dates do not mean much to us on here

Have a look at hotukdeals click on groceries as they report when stuff is cheap in a particular store My Asda still has lots of knorr and Bisto items at 25p which are often more than £1

When you are up and running you may want to check out the cashback sites but you need to wait a wee bit for the money but it has free food after the cashback

Good luck and let us know how you get on
  • maddiemay wrote: »
    There is bacteria in and on everything, including ourselves and not all of it is harmful to us, indeed much of it is very necessary for a healthy immune system. The latest research published regarding the Gut Biome is fascinating and shows how we have been going very wrong in trying to exterminate so much, which then just lets the harmful strains take over and try and kill us.

Anyone who has an interest and a few hours spare try dipping into any or all of these:-

The Clever Guts Diet - Michael Mosley
    Gut - Giulia Enders
    The Diet Myth - Tim Spector
    The Psychobiotic Revolution - Scott C Anderson

Many of the above are acclaimed in their field and their findings are beginning to filter through to our medics who have been taught that there is a pill for every ill and happy to accommodate us with prescriptions for them:)

Someone mentioned unpasturised cheese, in my search for them I was delighted to find that my local cheese shop indicated each one with a coloured dot, great for us that are tying to consume them and also for those who may have immune conditions which would perhaps be safer not to.

Sorry for the hi-jack, I understand that for economic reasons some need long life products, but the nearer natural the better for others.

Heading off to make a note of some of the great tips mentioned, thanks all.

But we were talking about the economies of shopping. As far as my purse goes milk that stays fresher long is a winner. I wasn't claiming it was healthier but I can buy a 2 litre carton and it will stay fresh for weeks unopened and for at least 10 days when it is opened.

I don't know what you think is unnatural about filtering a product, I get it with UHT and that does affect the taste but filtering liquids is something that humans have been doing for a very long time.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    How often do you get 'paid' I think this is the most vital thing when trying to live on a budget.

Luckily I now don't have to scrimp (although this thread has inspired me to get back into better budgeting). However when I was out of work, 1 adult 1 child budget of £30 a week for all food/toiletries/household cleaners. The hardest thing I found was as you touched on I could not afford to by the better value products as my money was 'paid' to me weekly (I believe there are plans in place with UC to 'pay' people monthly there has been a lot of opposition to this but in my option it is better for money saving/budgeting).

As I was out of work what I did have was time so I would walk to a few supermarkets to look at the cheap yellow sticker meat and freeze it. I would buy what I could one week and the following week work out a meal plan to go with what I had managed to find, repeat the next week.

Washing power I would save up for by putting a pound of two away each week so I could buy in bulk. Toiletries were all value, it makes you appreciate more the nice ones you get for birthdays and xmas.

It is hard, especially if you have been used to living without having to budget but it is doable.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If you have the time and can be bothered and don't mind being bored there are GPT sites to earn extra money.

This can mean running videos or answering surveys. Can be done while watching TV in the evenings.

I can let you know the ones I do not after referrals and can point towards a rather helpful facebook page with a lovely community. Last month I earned £112 that was PayPal and Amazon vouchers.

Its not masses but might help take the edge off a stretched budget.

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    maddiemay wrote: »

Anyone who has an interest and a few hours spare try dipping into any or all of these:-

The Clever Guts Diet - Michael Mosley
    Gut - Giulia Enders
    The Diet Myth - Tim Spector
    The Psychobiotic Revolution - Scott C Anderson
    Thank you maddiemay for the reading list. This is an area I have been wanting to research, but I didn't know where to start.
    Pleased to say all are stocked by our library, now I can start my research for free.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you maddiemay for the reading list. This is an area I have been wanting to research, but I didn't know where to start.
    Pleased to say all are stocked by our library, now I can start my research for free.

Thank you it is quite fascinating and enlightening.

To stay on topic, another area for potential saving is that as well as lending books etc most library services now allow one to "borrow by downloading" magazines and periodicals, might be useful for those that commute or end up sitting around waiting for children at clubs, sports activities etc.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you it is quite fascinating and enlightening.

To stay on topic, another area for potential saving is that as well as lending books etc most library services now allow one to "borrow by downloading" magazines and periodicals, might be useful for those that commute or end up sitting around waiting for children at clubs, sports activities etc.

My local library had a huge list of magazines and papers that you can download rather then buying them
  • mrsmac10
    mrsmac10 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Now I never knew that Technology is changing and so are libraries that's good
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I agree CeeGee, it can be soul destroying when you have to budget week in week out. It sometimes gets me down and now and then I splurge and spend a weeks grocery money on a take away, then I end up eating it for 4 days in my lunch box cos Ive over ordered, didn't really like it - whatever, but I won't waste food intentionally

I don't have to budget as tightly as you, I choose to as overall I do have a tight budget and the less I spend on food and cleaning, the more I have to allow me to run a car, buy shoes, have a hair cut etc

I have to cater for 3 adults and a cat. The chickens mostly pay for themselves :)

I average £35 a week. Now and then my bill will be £60 but most weeks its around the £20-£25 a week mark. I always say on average as it does over a year

Mum does buy her own things that only she eats like cereal and cakes

Otherwise I feed the three of us breakfast , lunch and dinner 6 days a week. The 7th day me and he spend treat money and go out for a drink and sometimes get a Chinese but mostly we will have something simple like a toastie or a pasta dish or cheese on toast

I only loosely meal plan. I head to lidl and see what they have on their offers. Last week for example it was meat balls for £1 so I got 3 packs, one for the week and two for the freezer. I think I also got pork belly (2 packs, one for the freezer) and a chicken. That small amount of meat will feed us for most of the week believe it or not. Because I always buy one for the week and two for the freezer, there is always something in the freezer to supplement the week,

Vegetables are my next buy, once again I head for whats on the 29/39p offers and start there. Even if I have no room in my menu plan for something and its so cheap, Ill buy it. Like butternut squash last week at 39p, its usually £1 so Ive a couple in a dark cool cupboard, they will be used during the coming weeks somewhere - butternut squash risotto , butternut squash soup, butternut and spinach curry are a few things I make

I never buy expensive veg for a specific recipe. I either do without or I have another dish to use it up in. When it comes to things like cabbages and cauliflowers, I buy the biggest and heaviest I can find. If Im paying 99p for a cauliflower might as well get one that will do a few meals :)

The only salad type veg I buy is lettuce and tomatoes because they last a good while and also get used up in sandwiches. When we are having salad, I make good use of pickled veg such as beetroot, peppers, gherkins, cabbage. Coleslaw is made with a bit of the York cabbage I always buy ( no point in buying white cabbage just for coleslaw) I don't buy scallions when finely diced ordinary onions work just as well

Cleaning products are not needed every week. I have to pay out for fairy and persil. I have never paid full price for either. Persil is on offer every 6 weeks or so at £5 for a 45 wash, fairy is the same. Bottle of bleach every few weeks and a bottle of flash every couple of months and thats about the height of my cleaning shopping

Savers/poundshops and B&M are my haunts for toiletries. Deoderent we use is £5 in Tesco, £3 in savers. Toilet roll is got where ever its cheapest, sometimes Lidl, other times savers. Once again its bought only on offer

I find lidl brands very good and very good value for money

Like Jackio I don't throw food away. Yesterday I made a cauliflower cheese with part of a large cauliflower and made too much cheese sauce. So I boiled a bit of macaroni, added a bit of chicken and it was my lunch box today in work. It was a small chicken so not much left, but enough for DH's sandwiches today and tomorrow and if I wasn't in a CBA mood, Id be making soup with the carcus but ill stick it in the freezer for another day

I don't buy ready meals, I make everything from scratch so I keep a good supply of things like flour, herbs and spices. Lidl again is my go to as we don't have the luxury of ethnic shops which are so much cheaper for herbs and spices. I make a lot of Indian spiced dishes and Chinese style meals so those are the spices I always have, chillies,garlic,ginger, cumin, coriander , turmeric.. Both styles of cooking make small amounts of meat stretch and even make vegetarian meals tasty and cheap

My store cupboard is tinned tomatoes, tinned beans of various varieties , tinned fish - tuna, sardines, anchovies, salmon, stock cubes , rice, pasta, noodles, ketchup, mayo etc. These aren't weekly buys, just things I put in the basket when I see them at the price Im happy to pay and I always have one not opened so I don't have to buy on a tight week

I also trawl the yellow sticker sections. Last week I got bags of gram flour for 50p instead of the usual £1.50. I usually pick up fish and offal and cheaper cuts of meat in the reduced aisles as the rich so and sos around here go for fillet rather then stewing and legs of lamb rather then lambs liver so theres always something to be found ;)

Learning how to make the most of expensive cuts means we do have them, just not as much as maybe the average Joe does, our portions of meat are smaller then most. But meat isn't our only source of protein in a day, eggs, cheese, fish and beans are also high in protein. Lunch is often tinned sardines on toast or eggs or cheese

It is a hard slog at times. Im forever looking at new recipes for inspiration so we don't get stuck in a rut. Food is so very important to us and we all like to treat ourselves with nice food, Ive just had to learn to cook it as we aren't paying someone else to :)
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Someone mentioned unpasturised cheese, ..

I love cheese, particularly unpasteurised varieties, but I think you'll find they tend to be expensive. Mind you Aldi/Lidl grana padano & parmesan are U/P and good value as a little freshly grated lifts a cheap dish such as pasta, garlic, (fresh chillies from the garden at the moment) and olive oil.

The other thing I take for regular guts is the occasional pint of real ale down the pub. If you are going out for a drink, and we all need the occasional pleasure, don't drink gassy lager or the dodgy wine you find in many pubs but a pint of ale. Trying a couple of different ones add variety to your internal flora, and just accept that farting is perfectly natural (although choose your timings..).:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure