Knowhow Cloud - Be Careful

Hi,

If you are thinking of setting up knowhow cloud, be very careful. My 5 year subscription came to an end and I didn't renew in time. The only way I was able to then get access to my data was by paying £160 for a new five year subscription. I couldn't renew for a single year and the cost of a new subscription was cheaper ! When I rang them, the costumer helpline even agreed that this was not fair. I couldn't even transfer to a new account without downloading all my data and then uploading it to a new account (which would be virtually impossible). A complete swizzle and I'm going to be taking in further but wanted to let other consumers know.

Thanks

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Danny48 wrote: »
    The only way I was able to then get access to my data was by
    Unfortunately, you presumably weren't aware of this clause in Livedrive's Terms of Service (my bold):
    "You, and not Livedrive, are responsible for maintaining and protecting all of your files and understand that unless clearly stated otherwise, Livedrive is providing you with a backup service and will not be liable for any loss or corruption to the files that you backup arising from your actions. There are no additional costs and expenses for restores using the Livedrive system, however should you request a custom restore outside of the Livedrive system, any additional costs and expenses will be explained to you prior to the custom restore, and you will be responsible for the discharge of same."
    https://www.tkhcloudstorage.com/terms-of-use
  • Thanks Chino - my issue was that I was only allowed to renew for another 5 years and effectively had to pay for a 5 year contract. I said that I only use 5% of the capacity and therefore would like to change to a 2 TB plan (from 5TB), which was what I needed. However I wasn't allowed to do this as I had to automatically renew onto my existing deal.

The service team said that the only way I could do it was to take out a new 5 year plan, download all the files from the cloud onto my computer and then upload them onto the new plan, then cancel (or not renew) the old plan. That, to me is a complete con, when they have my data. Basically, they have me over a barrel. I've written to the CEO in desperation. All I want it a 1 year 2TB plan !!. Even their service team said it wasn't fair.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Chino - my issue was that I was only allowed to renew for another 5 years and effectively had to pay for a 5 year contract. I said that I only use 5% of the capacity and therefore would like to change to a 2 TB plan (from 5TB), which was what I needed. However I wasn't allowed to do this as I had to automatically renew onto my existing deal.

The service team said that the only way I could do it was to take out a new 5 year plan, download all the files from the cloud onto my computer and then upload them onto the new plan, then cancel (or not renew) the old plan. That, to me is a complete con, when they have my data. Basically, they have me over a barrel. I've written to the CEO in desperation. All I want it a 1 year 2TB plan !!. Even their service team said it wasn't fair.

So 5% of 5TB is 250GB.
    Hi,

If you are thinking of setting up knowhow cloud, be very careful. My 5 year subscription came to an end and I didn't renew in time. The only way I was able to then get access to my data was by paying £160 for a new five year subscription. I couldn't renew for a single year and the cost of a new subscription was cheaper ! When I rang them, the costumer helpline even agreed that this was not fair. I couldn't even transfer to a new account without downloading all my data and then uploading it to a new account (which would be virtually impossible). A complete swizzle and I'm going to be taking in further but wanted to let other consumers know.

Thanks

Just for future reference you shouldn't be keeping data in only one place even if that is a cloud service. 250Gb is hardly a large amount of data and you should have a local copy of this as well just in case anything happens to the cloud data.
  • Red_Ant
    Red_Ant Posts: 75 Forumite
    I've been a Livedrive / Knowhow User for many years and have never had an issue when renewing / updating subscriptions - I wonder if the original poster was unlucky with who dealt with their issue. The service is far cheaper than comparable products if you do need a significant amount of storage. For lesser amounts you can look at BT Cloud (free for BT Broadband Customers), or Norton (bundle with their security products).

Whilst it is clearly best to have multiple backup approaches, the fact that the original poster has been using knowhow backup will put them in a far more secure position than 99.9% of users of smart devices who rely on luck until their phone or tablet get stolen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure