Blogging

Comments

• spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Listen.....some niches are hard to monetize and when you do some of them just don't convert.

It's easy to be misled with advice on the web. Many bloggers will tell you to choose a topic you're passionate about and then write about it....."if you build it they will come...". I'm sorry but that is BS.

If you want to make money from a blog then treat it as a business........from day one !

Choose a niche that is likely to convert and that niche is normally one of the big topics e.g. lose weight, live healthy, make money, etc etc

I might be passionate about wall art from Outer Mongolia and write compelling content about it in my blog. My blog may even become the leading authority on Outer Mongolian wall art through the entire web but it doesn't mean I can make enough money from it.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • dawney101
    dawney101 Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    spiritus wrote: »
    Listen.....some niches are hard to monetize and when you do some of them just don't convert.

It's easy to be misled with advice on the web. Many bloggers will tell you to choose a topic you're passionate about and then write about it....."if you build it they will come...". I'm sorry but that is BS.

If you want to make money from a blog then treat it as a business........from day one !

Choose a niche that is likely to convert and that niche is normally one of the big topics e.g. lose weight, live healthy, make money, etc etc

I might be passionate about wall art from Outer Mongolia and write compelling content about it in my blog. My blog may even become the leading authority on Outer Mongolian wall art through the entire web but it doesn't mean I can make enough money from it.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I am one of those with a niche blog (url is in my profile) and even with good SEO in place, a nice theme and decent content, It's difficult to drive people to my website nevermind thinking about trying to monetise it!

All I can say is blog because you want to write something you're passionate about, be consistent and build an audience of like-minded people. If you manage to monetise and make a living from it after all that then it's the icing on the cake. :j
  • What are you blogging about dawney? I would like to blog but am nervous of starting one on my own.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    What are you blogging about dawney? I would like to blog but am nervous of starting one on my own.

If you click on dawney's user name you will find a link to her homepage. The blog is about vintage images.

If you click on my user name, (which is my real name), aka Meanqueen, you will find a link to my homepage.

Don't be nervous, the best way to do it is on your own, learn as you go. If you go to Blogger it will guide you through the process. I knew nothing when I started. It's free by the way. Have a go. Choose your layout style, play with different colours, add an introductory post and off you go. You don't need to publish it until you like the look of it. You won't get it right first time, keep going back to it and give it a tweak. If you find it's not for you, you can delete it. Give it a try.
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • dawney101
    Loving your blog by the way Ilona! xx
  • dawney101
    Ilona pretty much answered your question on all points lol. I did similar and taught myself how to use Wordpress. You can also create a free blog with Wordpress but mine is self-hosted with Unlimited Web Hosting and costs me around £3.00 a month - I've used them on an off for around 6 years and they're customer service has always been excellent.
    I wish I could pass all my knowledge on to you as far as Wordpress is concerned as it's a fantastic platform for blogging and you can do so much with it, but I would advise you to try the free version and play with it. Other than that feel free to message me if you have any questions :)
  • Ilona
    dawney101 wrote: »
    Loving your blog by the way Ilona! xx

Thank you. Yours has some great content, you cover your niche market very well.

I tried Wordpress when I started, but me being simple minded I found blogger easier. Horses for courses, depends what you want to do with your blog. Mine is a hobby, I don't need to bump up my page views. A blog as a business is a different kettle of fish.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • I clicked but I just see About, Badges and Signature - Where am I going wrong?

I started my blog - I have 3 posts so far 2 on and one scheduled from tomorrow but I am just using it as a diary and also posting reviews of my latest travel plans and a diary of my daughters. Not expecting to make anything - Will just keep posting and writing - I don't want a niche - I want to post about things I want to write about information and advice that might help others, like I just did a review on a trip we had to Italy - I think people might enjoy reading it.

Would a post with more pictures than writing work? Like a clothing from different shops - How to wear guide?
    Also with copyright - If I was in a shop and posted a picture of me in a dress say love this dress from HnM perfect for pear shapes like me - Would that be breaching any copyright or advertising or anything? The aim would be confidence and seeing what clothes fit certain shapes....
  • Ilona
    I clicked but I just see About, Badges and Signature - Where am I going wrong?

When you click on a user name you should see something like this. Mind you I am still on the old format, not sure it is the same for the newer version.

Ilona
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Ilona
    Visit Ilona's homepage! This is where the link to my blog is.
    Find More Posts by Ilona
    Find all thanked posts by Ilona
    Add Ilona to Your Contacts

I started my blog - I have 3 posts so far 2 on and one scheduled from tomorrow but I am just using it as a diary and also posting reviews of my latest travel plans and a diary of my daughters. Not expecting to make anything - Will just keep posting and writing - I don't want a niche - I want to post about things I want to write about information and advice that might help others, like I just did a review on a trip we had to Italy - I think people might enjoy reading it.
    Sounds interesting, you should write whatever you want to write about. Can you put the link to your blog in your profile?

Would a post with more pictures than writing work? Like a clothing from different shops - How to wear guide?
    Also with copyright - If I was in a shop and posted a picture of me in a dress say love this dress from HnM perfect for pear shapes like me - Would that be breaching any copyright or advertising or anything? The aim would be confidence and seeing what clothes fit certain shapes....

More pictures or writing? Depends what your subject matter is. You can write posts which are mainly informative and don't need any pictures, or all pictures with few words. Develop your own writing style, don't try too hard to make it word perfect, unless you are writing an article. People like chatty friendly blogs, they like to build up a picture in their mind of how you might be in real life. If you want to monetize you need to build a fan base. If you are only blogging for yourself it doesn't matter how many people read it.

There are sites with free of copyright pictures, but I like to use my own pictures.

If you are photographing inside a shop, best to ask permission. If you are trying clothes on to put on your blog, you are giving the shop free advertising. They might be ok with that, but ultimately you want to be paid for it. But that comes much later when you have built up a large following. To start you need to build content. To speed up the process you need to post every day. Once or twice a week will take years before you make any money.

Treat it as a hobby now until you are ready to move on to the next level. I have been blogging for ten years, and it's still a hobby. Let's have a look at your blog and see how far you have come. Best of luck.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona wrote: »
    More pictures or writing? Depends what your subject matter is. You can write posts which are mainly informative and don't need any pictures, or all pictures with few words. Develop your own writing style, don't try too hard to make it word perfect, unless you are writing an article. People like chatty friendly blogs, they like to build up a picture in their mind of how you might be in real life. If you want to monetize you need to build a fan base. If you are only blogging for yourself it doesn't matter how many people read it.

There are sites with free of copyright pictures, but I like to use my own pictures.

If you are photographing inside a shop, best to ask permission. If you are trying clothes on to put on your blog, you are giving the shop free advertising. They might be ok with that, but ultimately you want to be paid for it. But that comes much later when you have built up a large following. To start you need to build content. To speed up the process you need to post every day. Once or twice a week will take years before you make any money.

Treat it as a hobby now until you are ready to move on to the next level. I have been blogging for ten years, and it's still a hobby. Let's have a look at your blog and see how far you have come. Best of luck.

ilona

Ilona
    Last activity: Today 1:36 PM
    Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
    Send Message
    Threads
    Thanks Received
    Thanks Given
    Posts/Day
    About
    Female, single, 60ish
    Badges

10 year anniversary
    10 years MSEversary!

1000 Posts on the Forum
    You have made 1000 posts!
    Signature
    My home is full of second hand furniture that other people have thrown out. I wear other people's clothes bought from car boot sales and charity shops. I eat out of date (yellow sticker) food. And I will jump in a skip if there is anything in there that I can rescue. I love my brilliant life on a pension.

That is what I see click I click on your name
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport