Returning to work PT after maternity leave

Hello everyone!

I'm returning to work on 10th September on a part-time basis, this is 2 days a week 16 hours all together. I earn £10 an hour, and have checked on entitledto and along with my husbands income of 18k a year we should be entitled to some benefits.

I have a quick question though - when can I actually apply for these? Can I do it now, knowing what my earnings will be from next month or do I have to wait until I'm back at work? Just worried there might be a delay and we'll struggle without the extra money from benefits.

Comments

• I guess no one knows?

I have to provide payslips for my housing benefit application, however I haven't started yet...
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You will also have child benefit dont forget.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    What benefits are you looking to apply for? Are you in a UC area?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I guess no one knows?

I have to provide payslips for my housing benefit application, however I haven't started yet...
    With your partners income being £18,000 per year and you working 16 hours per week, i highly doubt that you'll be eligible for any housing benefit.
  • Thanks poppy. I checked on entitled to and put in all our income and rent costs and it says we can get £74 a week housing benefit. We obviously have 1 dependant too.

No, not in a UC area until October.
  • Darksparkle
    Your household income would appear too high for tax credits unless you have childcare costs or someone in the household is disabled.
  • Thanks Darksparkle.

Our combined income is 23k a year after tax. We have 1 dependant and will pay £2184 a year for childcare.

According to entitledto we'll be eligible for tax credits, child benefit, housing benefit and council tax support amountint to £156 a week.

Not sure if I've gone wrong somewhere...
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I guess no one knows?

I think you have probably answered your own question. Most benefits are calculated on the basis of actual earnings, not on assumptions of what might be earned. The only way to know for sure is to contact the various agencies direct.
  • Darksparkle
    Thanks Darksparkle.

Our combined income is 23k a year after tax. We have 1 dependant and will pay £2184 a year for childcare.

According to entitledto we'll be eligible for tax credits, child benefit, housing benefit and council tax support amountint to £156 a week.

Not sure if I've gone wrong somewhere...

Tax credits is based on your income before tax and nic is deducted. Ensure you report the correct figure on the forms to avoid any potential overpayments.

As you have childcare then yes you'll be eligible for tax credits, without the childcare your household income would be too high.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure