buying a car with a 0% credit card

I'm looking to buy a new (to me!) car, and looked at various finance options.

it seems if I use a 0% interest on purchases Credit Card, I will in effect get a fee free loan as long as I pay it off within the interests free period?

any reason why I shouldn't do this?
I phoned a national car sales company (Evans Halshaw) to see if there would be any charges for using a credit card, and if they take credit cards as payment.
They advised that they don't make any charges themselves, but "pass on the transaction fee that my credit card company will charge, which could be between 2-5%, depending on which credit card company it is".
Can they do that? I thought the rules had changed this year?

any info appreciated (apologies if people have asked this before- I did a forum search but am using my phone and couldn't see it properly!)

Comments

• minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You are correct, the retailer is not able to charge you any additional fees for using a credit card.
  • I just bought a car on my 0% card this week, or rather I put half on the credit card and half on a debit card. The car dealer will swallow the 2% fee.
    So yes,I effectively have a fee-free loan, to be paid at my leisure,(until 0% deal runs out) and cashback on top.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I've purchased our last 4 (maybe 5) cars on 0% CC.

Another play on the same concept, and this is where they may not accept payment by CC, is to take out a 0% CC for purchases and use it to make all your day-to-day purchases and save the money you would have repaid in to a savings account. Then use the saved cash to purchase the car.

Obviously this may take some time (depending on how much you spend on a CC). We spend approx £19k on CC so less than a year for us when I did it that way.

To do any of this you must be controlled in your debt management and ensure you can make repayments.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The car dealer will swallow the 2% fee.

Or the price you agreed upon was inflated enough to cover the cost to the dealer.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    neilymac wrote: »
    any reason why I shouldn't do this?
    I phoned a national car sales company (Evans Halshaw) to see if there would be any charges for using a credit card, and if they take credit cards as payment.
    They advised that they don't make any charges themselves, but "pass on the transaction fee that my credit card company will charge, which could be between 2-5%, depending on which credit card company it is".
    Can they do that? I thought the rules had changed this year?

Reason one why you should not do this...

Evans Halshaw.

as long as you understand the only thing that will occur to the car before you get it is a cleaning and a fake MOT then you will be fine. Expect to book it in for a servicing immidieatly and maybe a belt change that they said was done but have no proof (if applicable, most cars they sell are not that old).

Also no, your CC will not put on a fee unless they have some sick way of making it a cash transaction. Be prepared to refuse if the value they enter is not what you expect to pay.

That said I have bought from EH and paid on a CC myself (no charge occured), but this was many years ago and I was aware what I was doing! (as in the car was a bargain compared to elsewhere as it seemed to not sell and had been moved around, it has not been fine for over 100K)
  • I just wonder.. do you need to inform the seller that you're going to pay with a CC? What if they don't notice it is a CC?
  • If the company does not accept credit cards, you could always opt for a long 0% balance transfer credit card, transfer the money into your current account and your debit card, cheque or cash
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    you would need a money transfer for this, not a balance transfer
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I just wonder.. do you need to inform the seller that you're going to pay with a CC? What if they don't notice it is a CC?

They would notice!

I am moving this thread to the general credit card section as it is not about Stoozing at all
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Money hem, but pootsenty small.
    And I think we can all agree on that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts