Which Vanguard fund

Have put some funds with Vanguard of which half has been invested in:
Vanguard Global Liquidity Factor UCITS ETF (VLIQ)

Any suggestions which Vanguard fund to put the other half into?

Comments

• redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Depends for what purpose you are investing / saving, what other savings you have, what your attitude to risk is, what timescale are you planning on leaving it there, how actively you will review the investments...
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What portfolio strategy are you following?
    What target volatility range are you aiming for?

There is no point asking us for solutions when we do not know the objectives.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • redpete wrote: »
    Depends for what purpose you are investing / saving, what other savings you have, what your attitude to risk is, what timescale are you planning on leaving it there, how actively you will review the investments...
    Like all investments intention is to try and make some profit out of the capital without too much risk of making a loss. Timescale is intended to be long-term but obviously depends on how this performs in comparision with other investments. Would probably review performance about once a month.

I would have thought that another of the Global funds might be a good way of spreading the risk. That way avoids too much exposure in the UK while the UK governent continues to fanny around failing to deliver Brexit and avoids too much US exposure to avoid any fallout from the ongoing Trump witchhunt.
  • Iain_For
    Iain_For Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Like all investments intention is to try and make some profit out of the capital without too much risk of making a loss. Timescale is intended to be long-term but obviously depends on how this performs in comparision with other investments. Would probably review performance about once a month.

I would have thought that another of the Global funds might be a good way of spreading the risk. That way avoids too much exposure in the UK while the UK governent continues to fanny around failing to deliver Brexit and avoids too much US exposure to avoid any fallout from the ongoing Trump witchhunt.

The Vanguard site itself has some pretty good advice on assessing your investing personality and tolerance for risk. Depending on what other savings/investments you have 100% exposure to equities is not low risk, reviewing once a month is fine - just don't trade!
  • Economic wrote: »
    Good point about comparing passive/active funds, have to admit I was more pre-conditioned to go for active funds, in the hope that they can outperform the market, but looking at past performance that might not be the case.

How about Global Small-Cap Index Fund:
    http://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-global-small-cap-index-fund-pound-sterling-accumulation-shares?intcmpgn=equityglobal_globalsmallcapindexfund_fund_link
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 August 2018 at 5:28PM
    Good point about comparing passive/active funds, have to admit I was more pre-conditioned to go for active funds, in the hope that they can outperform the market, but looking at past performance that might not be the case.

How about Global Small-Cap Index Fund:
    http://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-global-small-cap-index-fund-pound-sterling-accumulation-shares?intcmpgn=equityglobal_globalsmallcapindexfund_fund_link

For now stick to a multi-asset fund that matches your risk tolerance. Your choice of a Global Small Cap Fund suggests an ad hoc approach rather than a larger strategy. So let the multi-asset fund do that for the moment while you step back and do some reading.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You have chosen a fairly obscure active Vanguard ETF for 50% of your portfolio, can I ask why you have made this choice? The Investment Strategy for the ETF:
    The Investment Manager’s quantitative model implements a rules-based active approach that aims to assess the factor exposures of securities, favouring equity securities which, when compared to other securities in the investment universe, have low trading volumes and other measures of trading liquidity, including lower trading share and dollar volumes, based on percentage turnover, and price impact. These measures have been shown to be a component of long-run stock market returns.
    So it actually invests in relatively illiquid equities. It seems odd to have 50% of your portfolio in relatively illiquid equities.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Economic wrote: »

And what do you think the conclusion should be?
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have put some funds with Vanguard of which half has been invested in:
    Vanguard Global Liquidity Factor UCITS ETF (VLIQ)

Any suggestions which Vanguard fund to put the other half into?

Dunno about the other half but I'd just put it all into their FTSE Global All-Cap Index fund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure