Do you use Experian or ClearScore? Help our investigation.

Options

Comments

• Headbolt
    Options
    I regularly use Experian via the Martin Lewis Credit Expert Credit Club along with Noddle. I do this to monitor how my credit file is improving after having suffered a blip a few years ago, largely because health and other circumstances saw me living on benefits. I am a law graduate with a particular interest in commercial, credit and financial services law and regulations. It worries me that whilst the credit reference agencies can provide helpful tools, that many regard them as important agencies, the watchdogs on credit matters. The reality is that they are business and sell our data for profit and the bottom line - profit is their reason for existing. They cut costs and try to evade responsibility saying that some of our data may be processed outside our country. This should still impose a duty of care. Cost savings lead to lax security and DATA BREACHES. Experian has just been fined with a record fine for allowing data security to be breached. We are forced to subjugate to the Credit reference agencies, but can they really be trusted in the light of this? How do we know the extent to the data breach and are we due for compensation to the self imposed credit watchdogs?
  • ben166
    ben166 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I use both experian (direct and via credit club) and Clearscore.

Why do you use Experian or ClearScore's services?

I am a stoozer with multiple credit cards/bank accounts so I am always monitoring and trying to improve my credit score.

Clearscore uses Equifax data, but its free.

Experian data tends to be more reliable and updated in a more timely manner.

the merger will reduce competition as it may not allow me to see Experian and Equifax data for free anymore - it is important to be able to monitor your own data from multiple sources (especially under GDPR).

Both provide the new card recommendations and "preapproval" , but Clearscore's rating is unreliable (based on applications made and comparing to equifax's).

Overall though I would not like to seee Clearscore's service disappear. as above it is important to be able to monitor multiple data sources.

NB - i currently have 12 credit cards and 13 bank accounts.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Headbolt wrote: »
    How do we know the extent to the data breach and are we due for compensation to the self imposed credit watchdogs?

If you can evidence a loss, potentially.
  • Bumblies
    Options

I only bother looking at my rating because I get updates from MSE Credit Club. Each time I am aware of a flaw in the rating calculation. They compare debt and income but never ask about savings. I have a "very poor" rating for "affordability" because I have a significant amount on a 0% credit card compared to my pension, but I have savings of many times the debt and could clear it any time I want.
  • Sevan
    Options
    So in effect, if Experian and Clearscore merge, we can kiss goodbye to the statement of:

ClearScore allows you to access your credit report and score. Free, forever.
  • Bumblies wrote: »

I only bother looking at my rating because I get updates from MSE Credit Club. Each time I am aware of a flaw in the rating calculation. They compare debt and income but never ask about savings. I have a "very poor" rating for "affordability" because I have a significant amount on a 0% credit card compared to my pension, but I have savings of many times the debt and could clear it any time I want.

And now you understand why the CRA scores and ratings are made up and are to be ignored :)
  • socceric
    Options
    I use Experian service to see my credit score, MSE Credit Club to see my Experian Credit Score and report and Clearscore to see my Equifax credit score and report (also use Noddle for CallCredit score and report).

The only way to see Equifax credit report is through Clearscore. CMA shouldn't allow the merger unless it guarantees that people can still see their Equifax credit report for free.

From my experience, the 3 credit score services have some rubbish data such as incorrect or wrong formatted addresses. Also, it's not easy for a user to change the data.

I have heard occasions when people that had perfect credit score but the credit check failed because Experian provided the address in the wrong format (Flat number in the second line, building number in first line etc). This is silly and the users should have the power to correct things themselves rather than been victims of credit scores companies incompetence. Also, the response from Experian was very slow as it took weeks to respond.

Experian report also differs between the hard copy report and the one available at MSE Credit Club. I enquired why and the excuse they gave is due to the search returning different results. This inconsistency should be fixed.

So if the merger is to be approved there should be clauses that:
    1) both Experian and Equifax reports should remain freely accessible
    2) users will have full and easy control of their data
    3) all systems should be in sync and show accurate information eliminating excuses of the likes 'the search was different'. Each individual should have only 1 report.
    4) support should be readily available and able to help with issues such as failed credit check on the same day

As they say " With great power, comes great responsibility". Please CMA, help to make these firms responsible.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Information should be available for free anyway - there's no reason to charge for it
    robbo990 wrote: »
    What do I think about the services they offer? I agree it should be free to access your data directly with that CRA.
    ben166 wrote: »
    the merger will reduce competition as it may not allow me to see Experian and Equifax data for free anymore -

You lot do realise it is free to get your data directly from every CRA by requesting a Statutory Credit Report from them.
  • SofaChillReview
    Options
    Never really had a problem with Experian, although I used a credit card for trading so assumed my credit rating was going to be very high
  • RL11
    RL11 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Noddle was the first free one and their score seems to fairly reflect the changes in my financial circumstances over a period of time.

The MSE version (via Experian) also seems good.

The ClearScore one was absolutely useless. My score stayed exactly the same forever, despite it showing the changes in my account balances over time. I wrote twice and got a bulk standard response saying why my score would vary, despite my attempts to explain that it never, ever changed on ClearScore. I closed the account as it was useless.

I have noticed that one of my recent credit cards has not had its balance updated for a few months now, on either Noddle or MSE. Not complaining as the balance is much lower than it should be - or should I do something about it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure