TA Paid Leave Entitlement Question

Options
Hiya
My wifey just got qualified and taken on at a local school for 27.5hrs/week. Yay :)
Her pay is pro rata on scale £17,681.
On her terms of employment it gives an equation as follows:
£17,681 x 27.5/37 x 190/229

What does the 190/229 bit account for? Does this include paid leave entitlement?
My theory is that she'll be actually working 39 weeks but should acrue paid leave during that so should be actually paid for 43 or so weeks? Amirite? Obviously any leave has to be taken during school holidays.

Any help appreciated cheers.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Working days I suspect; but it’s a strange calculation.

Actually I’m unclear about the paid leave bit- I’ll stick with the not included in the calculation but given I’m yet to resolve my partners similar situation I’ll leave it as probably not including.

You’re mostly correct, it’s 5.6 weeks leave per year, but pro rata’d - but she may be due enhanced leave as per contract.
  • General_Grant
    Options
    cottlad wrote: »
    Hiya
    My wifey just got qualified and taken on at a local school for 27.5hrs/week. Yay :)

What does the 190/229 bit account for? Does this include paid leave entitlement?
    My theory is that she'll be actually working 39 weeks but should acrue paid leave during that so should be actually paid for 43 or so weeks? Amirite? Obviously any leave has to be taken during school holidays.

Is is a "permanent" contract or is the calculation up to, for example, Easter?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 September 2018 at 4:00PM
    Options
    Is her contract term time only or term time plus 2 weeks?

That would explain the 190/229. 190 would be 38 full weeks, whereas the 229 may be the number of days full time including holidays that full timers work.

Teachers are considered to be full time when working 195 days, of which 190 can be teaching pupils. So the 229 is odd.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A bit of googling. TAs are very often employed on term time only contracts. So would be paid for say 38 weeks a year plus pro-rata annual leave.

So if you were entitled to 5.6 weeks a year, on a 38 week contract that reduces to 5.6 x 38/ 52= 4.1 weeks. Either that is going to be added to the days required to work or used to cover eg bank holidays in term time.

It may be that the 190 includes some leave days - it certainly should!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    cottlad wrote: »
    Hiya

The best thing your wife can do is to ask the school to explain how the calculation works.

That way, she will get an accurate answer.
  • cottlad
    Options
    The school doesn't seem very sure at all lol. It does say in the small print that holiday entitlement will be added to salary so think best we just wait for 1st payslip and see what it says.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    A bit of googling. TAs are very often employed on term time only contracts. So would be paid for say 38 weeks a year plus pro-rata annual leave.

So if you were entitled to 5.6 weeks a year, on a 38 week contract that reduces to 5.6 x 38/ 52= 4.1 weeks. Either that is going to be added to the days required to work or used to cover eg bank holidays in term time.

It may be that the 190 includes some leave days - it certainly should!
    52 weeks includes holiday weeks the correct calculation if you work 38 is.

5.6 x 38/(52-5.6)
  • ffacoffipawb
    Options
    52 weeks includes holiday weeks the correct calculation if you work 38 is.

5.6 x 38/(52-5.6)

Not sure you should deduct the 5.6 in the denominator.

What if a full timer gets 26 weeks a year, the 38 weeker gets

26 x 38 / (52 - 26) = 38

So all holidays. Woo hoo!!!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Not sure you should deduct the 5.6 in the denominator.

What if a full timer gets 26 weeks a year, the 38 weeker gets

26 x 38 / (52 - 26) = 38

So all holidays. Woo hoo!!!

The holidays are additional to the work weeks they don't replace them.

If 26 weeks earns 26 weeks holiday that's the year 52 weeks used you can't work more than 26 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure