How much of a shop can be done at Aldi/Lidl?

Comments

• suki1964 wrote: »
    Buying the same brands ever week has just answered your question

When in a supermarket with 20 choices of each item For bestvalue for money you need to know the weight, price per kilo, salt and sugar content of the item When you don’t have choice it’s buy or not

I’m not saying Lidl and aldi are superstars , why I say is they have one choice , take it or leave in and sometimes I will leave it when comparing like for like elsewhere

Sorry if I'm being dense but I don't get how it answers my question. The point is that in a large supermarket, I can choose the brand I like. I suspect we'd all be happy with a range the size of Aldi's or Lidl's, if we could choose what went into it. Personally I find there is way too much missing from their assortments. And I don't want to have to shop at multiple stores each week.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    dlusman wrote: »
    Why cant you get UHT milk in Lidl ? my local stocks it ( and it is cheaper than any other I have seen )

Sorry I should have been more specific, they don't stock whole milk in my local, which I use in the yogurt but I will check again next time I'm in. They used to stock Milbona dried skimmed milk too, but that has also disappeared. Thanks for the info :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Buying the same brands ever week has just answered your question

When in a supermarket with 20 choices of each item For bestvalue for money you need to know the weight, price per kilo, salt and sugar content of the item When you don’t have choice it’s buy or not

I’m not saying Lidl and aldi are superstars , why I say is they have one choice , take it or leave in and sometimes I will leave it when comparing like for like elsewhere

....and when they only have a single option, and that option is a poor one, you then have either buy something you dont really like or go to supermarket to be faced with loads of choice anyway
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I do a lot of my food shopping in Aldi, but they don't sell frozen brussel sprouts or espresso coffee beans, and cans of Coke or Pepsi are cheaper almost anywhere else. Their Port is also a bit rough and best used for cooking.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I went shopping last Christmas, in the small town I was living at the time there were 2 choices, Waitrose or Lidl. My list had 40 something items, I could only get 20 in Lidl.

This year our small market town has Waitrose or Sainsbury's. Nearest Lidl is 14 miles return, nearest Aldi is about 40 miles return.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I went shopping last Christmas, in the small town I was living at the time there were 2 choices, Waitrose or Lidl. My list had 40 something items, I could only get 20 in Lidl.
    Which is still more cost-effective all round. It's not just the basics (veg) that were rock bottom, Lidl's Christmas goodies are ever bit as good as Waitrose', and much kinder to your purse.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I buy about 90% plus of my groceries from Aldi. I used to be a loyal Tesco shopper, but switched when I realised just how much cheaper Aldi is & I'm perfectly happy with the quality of the things I buy. I live alone, so having 200 jars of pasta sauce to choose from isn't something that is that useful to me! I know the jars i like & tend to stick to those. I cook fresh a lot, so used to ignore most of the chilled aisles at Tesco full of pizzas & ready made stuff.

The Aldi versions I've swapped to from the brand names I used to buy are good enough to keep me shopping there. My last monthly shop cost just £27 in Aldi. At Tesco that would have been nearer £40. Having less "choice" at Aldi also means the shopping trip is quick & I buy less impulsive rubbish I don't need.

I still do a shop at Tesco every 3 months or so, for brands I really like. Mainly toiletries like Sure deodorant & my favourite soap (I stock up when they're on offer). Aldis shampoo is fine & they also stock the Tampax reg/super mixed pack i used to buy that Tesco discontinued! & its Tesco for Fairy non bio/comfort blue which I'll never give up - again stock up on the family size packs when they're on offer & last about 3 months. Then some odd things like Hellman's mayo & Bistro. But again, bought when on offer & last for months.

But it's Aldi as first choice when I have a food shop to do.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    ....and when they only have a single option, and that option is a poor one, you then have either buy something you dont really like or go to supermarket to be faced with loads of choice anyway

I don't think the option in Lidl is poor

The only thing I don't like from their own range is the tinned fish, so my choice is don't buy it and get it elsewhere
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    pumpkin89 wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm being dense but I don't get how it answers my question. The point is that in a large supermarket, I can choose the brand I like. I suspect we'd all be happy with a range the size of Aldi's or Lidl's, if we could choose what went into it. Personally I find there is way too much missing from their assortments. And I don't want to have to shop at multiple stores each week.

so you are blindly putting the same proc=duct in your basket every week, sticking to brands you trust

Thats not MSE

My mum does the same. She comes home with a big slab of cathedral city cheese because its on offer. But price per kilo still means that Lidls is cheaper and tastes just as good. Indeed if in Tesco the Dromora and even their own brand would be cheaper and taste as good. But she is brand blind

When shopping in Lidl/Aldi, you have to take the leap of faith, give it a try, and see if the price difference isn't worth a bit of compromise sometimes

I do have big brands that I have to go to Tesco for, those are for allergy reasons or I just don't like the lidl equivalent But still I can buy 90 - 95% of my shop in lidl
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    I buy about 90% plus of my groceries from Aldi. I used to be a loyal Tesco shopper, but switched when I realised just how much cheaper Aldi is & I'm perfectly happy with the quality of the things I buy. I live alone, so having 200 jars of pasta sauce to choose from isn't something that is that useful to me! I know the jars i like & tend to stick to those. I cook fresh a lot, so used to ignore most of the chilled aisles at Tesco full of pizzas & ready made stuff.

The Aldi versions I've swapped to from the brand names I used to buy are good enough to keep me shopping there. My last monthly shop cost just £27 in Aldi. At Tesco that would have been nearer £40. Having less "choice" at Aldi also means the shopping trip is quick & I buy less impulsive rubbish I don't need.

I still do a shop at Tesco every 3 months or so, for brands I really like. Mainly toiletries like Sure deodorant & my favourite soap (I stock up when they're on offer). Aldis shampoo is fine & they also stock the Tampax reg/super mixed pack i used to buy that Tesco discontinued! & its Tesco for Fairy non bio/comfort blue which I'll never give up - again stock up on the family size packs when they're on offer & last about 3 months. Then some odd things like Hellman's mayo & Bistro. But again, bought when on offer & last for months.

But it's Aldi as first choice when I have a food shop to do.

Out of interest, but this is one of my pet hates regarding Aldi price comparrisons. Why didnt you just drop to Tesco own brand initially?
    Like for like (ie own brand v own brand) Aldi arent that much cheaper, and some their non food stuff is quite poor quality. And when you factor in various offers & money of coupons, you can do a shop in the other supermarkets which will be cheaper than Aldi.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure