Child involved with police

Options
Hi,

I have a 7 years old child. His teacher written the user id and password inna book for her ebay and Facebook account. He seen rge details in a book and managed to access the teachers ebay account and ordered an item.

The item itself is not going to a different address its just to the teachers address. Although it has been cancelled before the delivery of the item.

The headteacher has spoken to last week and they have reported the matter to the police. On Friday they told me police will be at the school on Monday at 10am and also ask me to attend.

Just wondering what are the consequences after this? What likely to happen?

They might treat this as being fraud but personally I don't it's a fraud he just stupid thing which he is sorry about.

I have placed enhanced parental controls on his tablet.

Look forward to hear from you.

Thanks

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No consequences as far as the police are concerned as the age of criminal responsibility is 10 so he can't be charged.
    The school should be more concerned about why the teacher is leaving confidential details around.
    Does seem a bit of an overreaction.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I totally agree with elsien. The legal fault lies entirely with the teacher. I would be asking what other confidential information they leave laying around if they don't protect their userids and passwords.
  • superM
    superM Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    No consequences as far as the police are concerned as the age of criminal responsibility is 10 so he can't be charged.
    The school should be more concerned about why the teacher is leaving confidential details around.
    Does seem a bit of an overreaction.

School didn't want to listen to me. They said it was a fraud so they have to report it. Wonder what they would have done if the same thing happened with there own child.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe they're doing it to impress upon him the seriousness of what he's done. After all pinching someone's details then making an order is quite impressive for a 7 year old and if he doesn't know any better then it's probably about time he started to learn.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    superM wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a 7 years old child. His teacher written the user id and password inna book for her ebay and Facebook account. He seen rge details in a book and managed to access the teachers ebay account and ordered an item. - Have you asked your child why. A 7 year old shouldn't really be able to do something like this. What book was this?

The item itself is not going to a different address its just to the teachers address. Although it has been cancelled before the delivery of the item. - so no harm done

The headteacher has spoken to last week and they have reported the matter to the police. On Friday they told me police will be at the school on Monday at 10am and also ask me to attend. - obviously the time has past now; but anyone else reading this should attend.

Just wondering what are the consequences after this? What likely to happen? - nothing. Below the age limit for criminal responsibility

They might treat this as being fraud but personally I don't it's a fraud he just stupid thing which he is sorry about.

I have placed enhanced parental controls on his tablet.

Look forward to hear from you.

Thanks

I assume that you will come back and confirm this. However anyone facing anything similar should turn this around on the teacher for being so lax about their security
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My 11 year old is pretty good with computers and even does some coding but I think he would struggle to know what to do with random username and password.
    If your 7-year-old actually did this you should get them a job in IT.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be making a formal complaint about the teacher. S/he shouldn't be trusted with any of the pupils' confidential info when they can't look after their own. No wonder the police don't investigate real crimes.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    If Miss Smith has written Ebay: teecher4291 spellingtest it doesn't take a great deal of imagination to work out what it's for.

I'd also be horrified that that's the teacher's standard of password security. Suppose son had seen the logon and password for the school management system?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope the OP updates us.
  • Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe the matter had to be reported to the police in order to obtain a crime number to have the eBay fraudulent transaction cancelled?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure