CSA Wrong Calculations

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I'm currently dealing with CMS regarding my arrears. I discovered today that they've worked out my arrears on the basis that last year I made £58,000 (this is the figure they got from HMRC based on my earnings in 2016).

Last year I took a few months out of work and actually only earned £31,141 (I have a P60 and wage slips to back this up) and not the £58,000 they think I did. I'd imagine they've also used the same figure to work out what I owe this year.

I've asked them to amend their calculations based on what I've actually earned (£31,141) and I will provide evidence for this but I've been told that they will not make these amendments because I didn't come forward with this information back in March when they made the calculations. (FYI I didn't contact them because they had the wrong address for me and I didn't receive the letters).

Just seems odd that they're trying to charge me on money that I didn't earn and can validate I didn't earn which is also almost double what I'm currently earning.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Comments

• I wish you well. My salary was halved on 2nd June 2018 due to long term sickness attributed to depressive illness. I told CMS in advance in May, and nine times since, but today have received a letter confirming it makes zero difference to my assessment. On 2nd December I reduced to zero pay, which again I gave advance notice of but somehow I have to pay £517 pcm from zero????? Are they incompetent, deliberately obstructive, or just on bonus payments they lose if contributions are assessed downwards? All day spent contemplating suicide - another notch on the CMS bedpost :(.
  • Hi,

First post....

Going through the CMS at the moment.

They have told me that i need to pay based on my 2014/2015 earnings (which is £45000). I have since had a breakdown and now earn £12000 per year. I have provided evidence to prove this. But i have lost both appeals. I have written to my local MP and i will be going down the Parliamentary Ombudsman route also.

What i want to know is...."What are the chances of the ruling being overturned?" How can the CMS get away with this?

Please help....

Thank you

p.s - Melsiain, please stay strong.
  • I have been paying double what i should be due to arrears they have placed on my account for months where i took time out of work due to mental health issues, i also sent evidence of earnings and they are still taking double the amount, direct from my wages, this now means i am in debt with the bank and it also means i cannot afford to go and see my daughter, as her mother moved 8 hours away.

the child maintenance team are now the main cause of anxiety and stress in my home, they have all the paperwork they need to recalculate my payments, they just dont seem to be recalculating them, possibly down to workload. whatever the reason, its us that pay the price!

if anyone has any advice on how to get out of this constant cycle of phone calls and emails, please let me know!!

many thanks

Jack
  • I thought it was just me! I am currently half-way through writing to the Secretary of State but it looks like this will be a pointless venture :(

My CSM nightmare is due to them basing their initial calculation on my 2017-2018 tax year, rather than actually look at the 5 months of payslips and contract of employment I sent them the very same day I got the initial new-claim letter in the post.

I am now forced to pay maintenance of a bogus salary of £40408, rather than my proven salary of £30000.

My payment schedule is Jan 19 to Jan 20, but I called the CSM and told them my pay is £30000, expecting them to say ok, we made an error we will recalculate the amount. However, as I received a Christmas Bonus in Dec 18, they now insist that any salary must include this bonus amount!

Funnily enough, when they add the bonus to my ACTUAL salary, the figure does not break their stupid 25% variance rule and I am stuck paying over the odds! I actually need an immediate £10408 payrise in order to earn what my payments are based on, and would require a £21000 payrise in order for them to reconsider their initial calculation!

THIS IS SCANDALOUS!! How can any variance threshold be applied? You pay maintenace on what you earn, not what you DID earn (up to 6 years ago!), or what they think you earn! This system is shambolic and borderline illegal!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure