All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful

Comments

• Well, I managed to get quite a bit done today - 2 meetings, 4 lessons, finished a huge report that's been hanging over me for ages and marked half a set of books.
    Left work at 4ish and went straight to Dunelm and bought cushions, a new shower caddy and a secret Santa gift for someone at work. Then nipped next door to Sports Direct and found presents for Dad - another one ticked off the list :)

Came home, walked the dog for half an hour, cooked us both fresh pasta for tea to use it up and then marked half a set of exam papers - will finish them later if I feel the urge but I don't need them until Thursday.
    Have also ticked another couple of Xmas prep jobs off the list - washing the bedding from the third bedroom and dog blankets.

OH is popping round for tea tomorrow (I very rarely cook for him as he's much better at it but he's soooo busy that I thought it would be a nice gesture and he can pop in on the way home from work and stay as long or as little as he likes). Have taken some chicken out of the freezer to do fajitas - easy, tasty and can be kept warm/reheated if needed.

Going to do a bit of banking and transfer money from Xmas and home accounts to cover this evening's spends, whip the dog round the block again and sort food and clothes for tomorrow. Then, I think it's a flop on the sofa for an hour or two before an attempted early night.
  • Morning all! Slept a bit better last night and feel almost refreshed this morning. Perhaps the no wine, lots of supplements and proper teas are starting to kick in?
    Spoke to OH at length last night - the holidays can't come quickly enough for him. Also wrote a big list of things to do before Xmas eve when the clan arrive. I'm always happier when I have a list to tick things off from :)
    Have taken the dog for a slightly longer than normal walk this morning - he slept better last night too and seemed a bit more perky today.

A busy day with a meeting at 7.45, then a long external meeting about a new project from 9 until lunchtime, then some teaching for the afternoon - throw in 3 duties and that's pretty much the day mapped out.
    Will try to do a bit more marking in any small gaps in between. I'm determined to get everything finished and completely up to date before the weekend if possible.

Right, I'm off into the shower - 7 more days......
  • Today went as predicted - bonkers and busy but I did manage to get away before dark and take the dog to the park before it was pitch black.
    Did a couple of jobs off the Xmas list - wrote the Xmas cards, washed spare dressing gowns etc ready for guests, and phoned the pub we're having Xmas lunch at to confirm menus. Still loads to do but I'll try to do another one or two jobs every day and have a bit of a blitz at the weekend. OHs son is visiting so I'll only really spend time with him on Friday night and from Sunday lunchtime so I can use Saturday to plough through as much as I can.

He came over for tea and actually really liked what I cooked - not a talent of mine ;). Didn't stay too long though - he was shattered and falling asleep.

Tomorrow is not as hectic on paper but it never stays that way......
  • Morning all! It's freezing today - the dog walk wasn't fun.
    Feeling a bit tired today - Thursday-itis I think. Just plodding on to the end now. It feels like we should be finishing tomorrow but there's another week left yet.....

Have a potentially very awkward meeting first thing this morning - will be glad to get that over with. Only teaching two lessons today though so, in theory, I should have some time to get things done. Fingers crossed.
    I'm on duty for detentions tonight so will have to stay a bit later. Roll on the weekend.....
  • Hope you have a decent day. OH went out last night to a gig so I stayed home and did a big long list - lists actually - of what needs to be bought, done, made, cleaned etc. Not all of this is Christmas prep, in fact probably most of it is just stuff that needs to be done, it just happens to be in the fortnight before Christmas.

So anyway I felt a lot better for a bit until I realised that writing it down didn't mean it was accomplished.
    An hour or so at the pc ordering stuff for delivery and C&C, then went and blitzed DS1's bedroom and the spare room so they will only need a little effort before visitors come. That's a bit better. And this morning I've fitted in most of the extra laundry and putting away so I'm starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere. Reminder - do not do extra decorating, repurposing before Christmas next year...
    NF 04.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£233.00 (46%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£042.00     NPt 12.24 £250.00/£080.95
    FD £3600.00/£0900.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0450.00

• mumblingtaff
    mumblingtaff Posts: 1,826
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 December 2018 at 7:52PM
    I know exactly how you feel Joey!! It's mad how we have so much to do and put such pressure on ourselves - well done on the list though - I always feel better when things are written down and ticking things off is so satisfying.

Had a busy day that went a bit to pot in terms of free time - people kept popping in and disturbing me - not to worry, I still managed to get a set of tests marked, planning for next week done and a proposal document finished. Could have been more but ended up with impromptu meetings galore.....

Been busy since being home - walked the dog for half an hour and delivered the Xmas cards whilst out, cooked tea and then cleaned the kitchen, done a load of washing, sorted the bins and recycling, cleaned and tidied the bedroom, given the fridge a tidy out and good clean, changed the spare bed ready for guests, sorted through the gifts that have arrived, had a bath and am now sitting in a face mask.

Feel like I've achieved quite a lot today at work and home. :) have ticked a few things off the Xmas prep list.

Some very good news - got a letter today informing me of a pay rise :):):)
    I wasn't expecting it as its only the end of my first full term at the new job - well chuffed!! It's back dated to September too. Happy, happy ;)

It's pay day tomorrow - will do a budget and sort savings etc on Saturday.
    I'm going to try to have a use it up week next week and only buy essentials - two reasons - I need to clear some space in the freezer and cupboards for the big Xmas shop and it won't hurt to economise pre-Xmas.

Going to potter and watch some telly and try for an early night. Friday tomorrow thankfully ......
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    That's great news about the pay rise MT! And if backdated to September hopefully you'll feel like you've had a decent bonus in your pay tomorrow, perfect timing!
  • Yay! Massive congratulations on your pay rise :D
  • Thank you DD and Cat - it was a pleasant surprise :)

More good news.... I almost threw a letter from the bank away yesterday as it looked like a circular but then read it quickly and was thrilled to find that I'm getting £3100 in a PPI claim that I'd forgotten I'd submitted! It's being paid into my account within 28 days. Hurrah!!!
    It was for a loan years ago that's been paid off for years.
    A lovely windfall just before Xmas :)

OH and I went to the birthday party last night and had an OK time until we got home and then had a blazing row that started over something really small. Lots of things were said and I gave as good as I got - felt awful this morning about it and we've since made up but it was a real vent on my part. Perhaps it will clear the air now that everything is out in the open. We'll see .... He has his son staying over tonight so I'll see him tomorrow.

My plan to do lots of Xmas prep went out of the window today - was really tired and emotional and just couldn't be bothered but I'm feeling much better now and hopefully a good sleep tonight will see me back on form tomorrow. I plan to do a blitz in the morning and get as much out of the way as possible.

I've spent a bit of time doing the budgets and paying the bills for the month now I've been paid.
    I've put aside extra for the big Xmas grocery shop and more spending money than normal. I've also put money into savings accounts for holidays, the house and garden, Xmas and put £350 into a contingency account.

I need to get a load of gifts tomorrow - 2x secret santas (£10 limit for each), something for the dogs for Xmas, bottles of wine for the people I line manage and something for a male teetotal PE teacher (what??).
    I'll try to get out to the shops as soon as they open - I hate shopping.
    I'm only getting a few groceries to see me through the week - it's a use it up week.

I have a list of things to do - clean the house, get the decorations down from the attic and put the tree up, food shopping, washing and ironing, wrapping presents - need to just crack on with things.

Going to watch a bit of telly then go to bed - just need to sleep and start afresh tomorrow xx
  • Morning all! Feel so much better today - had a lie in until 7am and kept waking up through the night but went back to sleep.
    Lots to do today - will start with a dog walk and then some cleaning upstairs and getting the decorations down until the shops open. I'd rather be there first thing in the vain hope that it will be slightly quieter and I'll be able to whizz round to get things done.

Phase 2 of jobs will come after the shopping - wrapping presents, putting up the tree, general prep....

OH is playing golf this morning and I'll see him this afternoon - hopefully, we're over the row now and he's ready to move on - he is a notorious sulker but seemed ok on the phone and in texts yesterday - we'll see....

Right, dog walk number 1 here we come.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure