Looking for views of Plusnet internet/phone package

Options
Have been with Virgin for many years. The cost keeps going up. Thinking of changing to Plusnet.
Wondered what other people think of this companies service.
Keep on trucking!

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are many posts on this board discussing just that. There's a forum search option above, which might be helpful. I think the overall consensus is that currently, their customer service is pants, but I'm not a customer myself so not talking from personal experience.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have to understand that VM cabling is up to a much higher speed and is to the door .
    Plusnets max is at 76meg and is over the BT OR infrastructure . Quality of cable box to door is an unknown .
    You negotiate with VM by leaving .
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can only comment on my own experience - been with PN for 5 years. Yes, sometimes there's a wait to get through to CS but they do know what they're talking bout when you do get through. Can't remember the last time I needed to call them though.
    Mind you, I was coming from TalkTalk who are the worst ever CS (in any industry) that I've found.
    I believe their current router is a BT homehub 5 clone but you can easily get a cheap ebay bought Home hub 6 working with PN
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    I was with them for years until last May. They were incapable of getting a line fault fixed. Until then it was o.k. because I never had the need to contact them except to negotiate a new deal.
    But their handling of the fault repair process was unacceptable. They more or less gave up and blamed the fault on anything not under their's or OR control, i.e. me!
    It was all fixed in less than a week after leaving them.
    Others, their fanclub will, no doubt, think PN can do no wrong.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Plusnet customer of 9 years and I would suggest you avoid them.

Customer service is dire now, the new billing system is still causing issues (it went live on the 1st September), call times for customer service very high (spent 20 minutes last week on hold - was told queue was 15 minutes when I called, couldn't hang around so no idea how long it would have taken).

Plusnet and TalkTalk are ranked the same by OFCOM for complaints - the worst of the bunch. (and those figures were from the first 6 months of this year - Plusnet are going to be the worst by a long way once the second half of the year is known next March)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Also what ever you decide don't start a switch anywhere until the New Year, never switch in December.
    https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8263-hold-off-of-switching-providers-until-the-new-year
  • mustbemad
    Options
    How many of you will be using the broadband at the same time? The 3 months we were with plusnet for last year were an absolute nightmare due to there traffic shaping, my 3 kids weee moaning non stop :sad: thank goodness for price rises!
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was with PN for 5 years up until January this year. We went to VM only because we needed the faster speed - 100mb rather than 30. During our time with PN we did have a line fault and it was sorted out pretty quick and they were really good. Every time I contacted them about anything, they were good, although it was only a few occasions. On one, we'd been given a discount on their TV package which hadn't been applied. They sorted it out straight away and gave me an extra discount for their mistake. Can't comment on what's happened to them since January.
    If your Virgin is through cable, then there may be a cost to reinstate your phone line to consider. If VM is through your phone line, then the service you receive is likely to be similar, just the cost and customer service may change.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Plusnet were OK in the 18 months I was with them. I didn't have any support issues, but at the end of the 18 months the renewal wasn't very competitive. I'm not a great haggler and it seemed to be a "take it or leave it" offer, so I left.
  • miniemma
    miniemma Posts: 505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 December 2018 at 10:38AM
    Options
    I have been happy with Plusnet for a few years now so have recommended them to my mum and my mother in law. MIL is already with Virgin and paying £47.99(!!) for Vivid 100 and inclusive calls. I tried live chat a few times but all they could offer was £42 if she took TV too (??!!) She doesn't want the TV or the hassle of changing so decided to stay with Virgin. I tried live chat again for her as that is far too much money and eventually they gave me the customer options team number (0345 454 1111 option 1 > option 4 > option 5) and we negotiated a slower line, 20gbps with inclusive calls inc. mobiles for £32 - she is over the moon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure