Unknown PPI, Serious Illness and a Retrospective Claim

Backstory: in 2010 I had an Egg Card and have recently found out that I was paying for PPI unbeknown to me. Not much later I ended up entering into an IVA agreement after the breakdown of my marriage which was then completed early due to receiving some inheritance.

So life is now good and we are now in the present. I find out I'm owed a PPI refund (which will probably end up with Payplan because of the aforementioned IVA), but I have realised that whilst having the Egg Card I had been diagnosed with testicular cancer from which I could have made a claim (the whole point of PPI).
I did at the time claim through a PPI policy I had with my mortgage which paid out.

I am now of the belief I could have also claimed on the PPI policy on the Egg Card.

The questions therefore are:
Am I correct in thinking a claim on the Egg Card PPI policy should have been raised?
Is there any way of retrospectively claiming? Especially as I was unaware I even had the policy?

Look for to hearing your comments.
Neil

Ps. I obviously survived the cancer and am currently living my happily ever after :)

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You should have raised it yes
    You can try but if you have complained about it they will be unlikely to entertain a claim as well
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977
    First Post
    Forumite
    It would be down to the insurer to entertain a retrospective claim - keep in mind if they agree you will need to satisfy all their evidentiary requirements, also this would need to have been diagnosed prior to your financial difficulties as any missed payments would likely have invalidated/canceled your policy.

Also your mid-sale complaint would need to be put on hold, obviously if your mid-sale complaint were to succeed it would put you back in a position had you never taken the policy - you would therefore be unable to claim against it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure