PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Taking too long to exchange

Options
I sold my home to ftb 12th march and had offer accepted on the one i am buying the same day. there are a total of 7 people inc me in my chain.

Anyway we are still waiting on the top end to sort themselves out. Keep getting told they are waiting on some enquiries to come back.

Anyway managed to get hold of two of the estate agents at the top and have been emailing them for updates.

The agent i am buying from has just called me to say that the top end agents are getting annoyed woth me keep chasing them and have basically been told i need to stop pestering them.

I am at my wits end with them and dont know what to do to speed them up.

My mortgage offer is going to expire end of sept so need to complete by then. Feel like the estate agents are just stringing me along as they keep telling me 'the info will be in next week' and then it never appears. Have heard the same thing for the last 5 weeks.

I have told them that Im going to look at other properties or may devide to stay where i am for another year.

What would you do???

Comments

• brewthebear
    Options
    Obvious with that stance they are in no rush, tell them to take a hike then that should soon move things along. Who do they think they are either they want to sell or not cant expect a chain to keep hanging on
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would start looking for a new property to buy, sharp. Before my buyer drops out. In fact I would have done that much sooner.

Offer accepted 5 months ago, enough is enough.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Christinat wrote: »
    I sold my home to ftb 12th march and had offer accepted on the one i am buying the same day. there are a total of 7 people inc me in my chain.

While you may have sold your home on the 12th March. Those above have had deceasing amounts of time to progess matters. Your EA and solicitor should be your points of contact for updates. Your EA should be the one to maintain pressure on the chain.

Buying and selling property can be a frustrating experience. Though somehow matters do seem to come together in the end.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Christinat wrote: »
    ...The agent i am buying from has just called me to say that the top end agents are getting annoyed woth me keep chasing them and have basically been told i need to stop pestering them....What would you do???

Exasperating, isn't it? As I have just said in another post, I almost get the feeling that some Estate Agents and Solicitors don't actually want clients as they get in the way of the smooth running of their business, lol!

But to address your question...

you have few options other than to:

- keep chasing; the top end agents don't deserve a quiet life; they'll be raking in anything from 1-3% of the purchase price for doing not very much, so let them earn it

- sit tight and wait

- sell your house anyway to the ftb before they disappear and either
    - move into a rental for six months (which I've done- it's less hassle than it sounds and because we were downsizing it bought time while we de-cluttered and dumped stuff);
    or
    - take on a holiday let for a couple of months as their purchase was delayed and they had a great but impatient buyer (as our kids did once, to get the grandchildren into a local school; not as expensive as you think if it includes Council Tax and Utilities)
    or
    - the nuclear option; tell your Estate Agent to tell the "am I bovvered" agent at the top that you are withdrawing from the chain by a (generous) deadline; but only if you are really prepared to follow through the threat...?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AlexMac wrote: »
    - keep chasing; the top end agents don't deserve a quiet life; they'll be raking in anything from 1-3% of the purchase price for doing not very much, so let them earn it

If somebody wasted your working day you'd soon get very irratated. Given that it achieves obviously nothing. As the EA has no control over the process.
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am at my wits end with them and dont know what to do to speed them up.
    Stop hassling would be one way of speeding things up. Left alone, they can get on with the job, however since it is the solicitors and not the EA doing the work, you are wasting your time. The solicitors at the top are not going to take numerous calls from an irate EA and he's getting it in the neck from them and from you.
    If it helps, my son is buying and his offer was accepted on 2nd April and he is nowhere near exchange yet either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure