John lewis refusing refund under distance sel regs

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bobwilson wrote: »
    Could you give me some specific quotes of what rude responses I've given & the message they were in response to? As far as I can see, I've been very polite & only had to defend myself against some rather unpleasant / almost trolling replies.

There is no nail in the coffin & no need for that impatient attitude since I have already posted the resolution, which you could have read had you the patience to allow me a few minutes to finish posting it. I was replying to some of the outrageous responses before typing the update. That's all.
    Well your reply to me in post #15 wasn't exactly pleasant when all I was doing was asking some basic questions with a hope to helping you get to the bottom of your problem.

So now that you are planning on selling on the machine will you be telling potential buyers about the "fault" you have with it?
  • bobwilson
    bobwilson Posts: 595 Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    So now that you are planning on selling on the machine will you be telling potential buyers about the "fault" you have with it?

Yes, it wouldn't be fair to be dishonest. It'll decrease the price further but I don't see any other option.
  • bobwilson
    k3lvc wrote: »
    One might take a guess that given Bobs attitude JL/Bosch are in no rush to make an early appointment :rotfl:

another personal attack- you have no idea how I spoke to Bosch on the phone. It took hours to get an engineer visit arranged, to which most people would be miffed. I was very polite.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    another personal attack- you have no idea how I spoke to Bosch on the phone. It took hours to get an engineer visit arranged, to which most people would be miffed. I was very polite.

It's far from a personal attack - it's a reflection of the attitude/language etc that you've shown on here and that nearly all posters have picked up on - yet we're the ones who when we try and make suggestions are wrong ??
  • bobwilson
    I appreciate everyone's replies here but I can only assure you my responses have been in response to your replies & the attitudes here. Make whatever pre-judgements or speculations you will. I've posted my update, but people just seem intent on bickering instead of a discussion on consumer rights. I'm out. It's clear I'm not going to get any sense out of the locals in this forum.
  • bobwilson wrote: »
    UPDATE:

Hi all, I just wanted to give an update to this for the sake of transparency but before I do I'd just like to say I'm a nice guy & very polite.. but I've decided as soon as you give me attitude or attack me personally, I'm going to defend myself. It isn't healthy to be attacked personally like this without offering some form of defence. I hope this won't be necessary.

Laws change all the time and this is one of the best places on the internet for non-lawyers find out what their rights are. Let's try to keep it that way and not scare people off, ok? I don't mind people disagreeing with me or educating me, but there's a line between offering an opinion & a personal insult such as telling me to "grow up". There really is no need for it- because if you continue this way, I won't be posting or reading here anymore, and I'm sure others feel the same way.

So, moving onto the latest update:

1. John Lewis refused a refund or replacement & made me call Bosch to arrange an engineer visit. It took around half a day of calls to Bosch & JL but I managed to get that arranged. I was then told I'd have to wait around 8 days for the visit. Despite this, I was patient & friendly on the phone.

2. On the date, someone turned up on the doorstep in plain clothing & a hoodie at around 8am, with no company logo or name badge. I answered the door & he just stared at me without saying anything. I said "Hello" in a friendly tone.. he just stared vacantly. I waited a moment, then when no reply came, I asked "..are you the Bosch engineer?", he looked confused then replied "yeh". He looked at the machine & the communication continued in that vein, with him seemingly unable to give anything more than single syllables. The longest thing he said was to ask me if I used powder tablets in the drawer, I told him I don't use tablets nor the drawer at all- I use 1 liquid capsule in the drum, and showed him them. I also showed him photos of the leak (which only starts after a wash is on for an hour or so) He told me the liquid capsule should be fine and he doesn't understand why the leak is happening. I also explained the leak happens without any detergent. He said he doesn't know why it's happening and can't find anything wrong with the machine or installation. He left.

3. John lewis said the Bosch engineer had written on his report it's my fault for using powder tablets in the drawer & that I should stop doing that then the leak will stop. I repeated to them what I told the "engineer"- I don't use the drawer, nor do I use tablets. I also told them it leaks when no detergent is used at all. (my only guess is that it seems to be a design flaw- the drawer often leaks while the machine fills up).

4. JL told me Bosch said they could send another engineer but it might cost me £90 if they don't find a fault. I turned that down.

5. JL refused to repair or refund or replace.

6. I bought another Bosch washing machine that works perfectly & doesn't leak. I guess I'll have to sell this one somehow but will have to be honest about why I'm selling.

So, contrary to what some posters here have said, following the process didn't end up with a resolution- it wasted weeks of my time, energy & money. We can't survive without a washing machine so I ended up having to cut my losses and pay for a new machine myself.

Not to be rude, but as a polite man, I do not put powder tablets in the drawer! I have highlighted this for you. Of course you can continue to waste your own time complaining and getting nowhere.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you read further along the same paragraph you'll find that the OP doesn't use powder tablets at all - according to the OP the engineer lied in his report.

OP - I haven't gone back to read the thread. How did you pay for the machine originally? (Debit card? Credit card?) If the latter then you could raise a Section 75 claim ... this makes the credit provider jointly liable with the retailer for the performance of the contract, including any statutory or warranty rights.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    6. I bought another Bosch washing machine that works perfectly & doesn't leak. I guess I'll have to sell this one somehow but will have to be honest about why I'm selling.

I'm surprised you bought another Bosch washing machine when in your post you explained how the engineer lied on their report which has cost you money.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    I am not surprised by the attitude you describe by John Lewis as we experienced something similar with a laptop. We had to fight to get resolution but we did in the end.

John Lewis seem to be good at blaming the customer!

I have had much better customer service from Tesco who offered a full refund on a vacuum cleaner I took back to the store.

If I were you I would not leave it at that.

Have you written a complaint, gone on their social media etc.

I would.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In fairness to JL, my telly packed up after 4 and half years, they could not replace so paid me back the cost which I then used to buy another one.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure