PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Pea and pear soup, that sounds very interesting Weezl.I might just give it a try;) :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • sophiesmum_2
    sophiesmum_2 Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Great idea for using up the pea soaking tablets. I have about 10 in the drawer as always thought they would come in useful for something but couldn't quite decide what:confused: , will now clean all the plug holes and kettle with them:D
    Thanks for that:T
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Hi all,

I got a can of kidney beans reduced to 7p yesterday, so I've just made a kidney bean pate, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon, cumin seeds and veg oil, blitzed.

Very nice, and less than a penny per serving! :money:

They are very good for our phosphorous levels, which is the next nutrient I was thinking about writing about (back soon with that!) unless anyone has any special requests?;)

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Who says you cant make one penny do the work of two - and still eat healthily? Think weezl is the living proof one can.

Keep at it gal:T
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Just a quick thanks Weezl, finally made your lentil pate - yum! Ate loads with HM bread last night, only drawback is I now look 6 months pregnant - don't think you mentioned that as a side effect, lol!

Thanks for all the recipes and for doing all the hard research for us, keep it up, you're an inspiration!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • razra
    razra Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    weezl74 wrote: »

Houmous

natco dried chick peas (from 2 kg bag) 100g 7.5p
    50 ml veg oil
    5p
    a few tablespoons of the water from cooking use a smidge of the tinned juices??
    5g grd black pepper (rajah) 4p
    2 fat cloves garlic
    8p
    salt 1 tsp less than a penny
    2 tspns lemon juice
    2p
    =26.5p This makes enough for 4 weeks worth of sarnies for Mr Weezl...:j

Soak chick peas over night. Drain then vigorously boil for 10 mins. Then simmer on hob for approx 1.5 hrs, I do mine all day in the slo cooker on low. Blitz them drained with all the other ingredients in the food processor. Lovely!:T

Ive only got tinned chick peas so would I be right in just blitzing everything together (ie just doing the bits in red) or do I need to cook the tinned chick peas first??

Thankyou:D
    June Grocery Challenge 270.80/250July Grocery Challenge 0/300
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well - that's what I do. If I haven't cooked my chickpeas from scratch - but instead am using canned ones - then, yes, I just blitz the lot together. 2 minutes. Sorted.
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Homemade hummous is delicious, we eat it all year round, but it's lovely in the summer with chopped raw veg and bruscetta (any old ends of bread sliced then griddled and rubbed with a clove of garlic, sometimes a tom as well). Its really nice made with lime juice instead of lemon as well - found this out cos lime juice was cheaper all last summer, about 21p whereas lemon was 45p!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • scrimperjan
    scrimperjan Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have been so impressed by your total dedication to OS moneysaving, Weezl, that I have been reading some of your old posts (actually, I was looking for more of your great recipes!) Wondering whether you were already OS when you joined the forum, I sneaked a peek at your early posts where I found this:
    Basically my struggle is that try as I might I can't get the groceries as low as you guys. People seem to be able to break the 15 quid per person per week barrier which I just can't seem to manage.
    And this was just last October - so you've come a long way! You're an inspiration to us all. :A
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Weezl, I'm all ears about your latest research :T Thankyou so much for all the effort you're putting into this, this thread is inspiring a lot of people especially me x
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business