PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing home made pizza and dough

Comments

• kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi
    I just make up extra when I'm making fresh pizza, so base, sauce and toppings and then open freeze it for 1/2 an hour and then bag them up. I cook them from frozen - 15-20 mins depending on size.
  • can i make the base - add the tomato sauce and cheese and then freeze uncooked or would it be possible to lightly cook the pizza then freeze it like that?

I bought some mozzarella last friday and the date is up on it on friday - thought if i made 2 pizza's the kids could eat one and i could freeze the other....

thank you
    :rotfl:five children? I must be mad........ :rotfl:
    aug grocery spend - £166.45
  • Queen.Bess
    Queen.Bess Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Now I've not tried this myself, so this is not from experience, but from last week's Spendaholics on BBC3!! They made a large batch of pizzas, wrapped them in clingfilm and put them in the freezer, uncooked.

I personally would also do it this way, then it has the nice freshly cooked smell and taste rather than possibly a re-heated smell.

Maybe hedgeyour bets- try it both ways and see how you get on! Then let us know how you did!
    Official DFW Nerd Club #20 :cool: Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D DFW Long Hauler #109 :o

Slowly, Slowly = Oct '09: £30693, Aug '15: £14820. Could Be Debt Free April 2020, but hoping for sooner!
  • thank you for that - will make a couple tomorrow then i think

hmmmm - feel hungry now
    :rotfl:five children? I must be mad........ :rotfl:
    aug grocery spend - £166.45
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    great idea , but the dough is really soft when uncooked, so how would i freeze it without ending up with a funny shaped pizza base if u get my drift. do u need to put a bit of cardboard of something under the base before freezing ? then remove this before cooking
  • seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If I'm freezing a pizza, I make it up right up until the point it should go in the oven. Put it on a baking sheet and then pop it in the freezer - once it's frozen (and therefore will stay flat), remove the baking sheet.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    ah, good idea. will try that then.
  • finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Recently I have started part baking my pizza bases so that I can make them in the afternoon when my son has a nap and then they only take about 5-10 mins to cook at tea time. (It means I'm not wrestling him for the rolling pin!:rotfl:)

Anyway...when they've been part baked for 5 minutes they're a bit more rigid and hold their shape but still not cooked IYSWIM. They may freeze better this way. I don't know as I've not tried it myself :rolleyes:
    :smileyhea
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I made some pizza bases, and put them straight in the freezer uncooked on greaseproof paper, when i defrosted them, i couldnt get them off the paper, and ruined the lot of them!!!! Next time, i would either part cook them, or make sure i freeze them on something i can put straight into the oven!!!!
  • samnmalc
    samnmalc Posts: 448 Forumite
    I have part baked the base with nothing on top,and then frozen it in a freezer bag.

Then when you want to use it,take it from the freezer and put all the toppings on and bung it in the oven ,still partly frozen.

They have always turned out fine doing it this way( but you do lose the freshly baked texture)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure