PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• iammumtoone
    Options
    Hi all can I join please? this thread looks just what I need. I really need to make some savings somewhere to pay off my debts. I used to meal plan but have got out of the habit so need to start that again. I have no idea what I spend per week but have set a limit of £35 per week which includes all toiletries etc. I need to be under that as need to put the extra towards paying off debts. There are only two of us (me plus 6 year old) so should be achievable but my son is a VERY fussy eater which will make it more difficult.

Budget works out at £140 so will put down I spend £35 last week and start from now.

I will got back to online shopping as this helps me as I am a terrible impulse shopper. I will have to use As!a as they are one with the lowest minimum order.
  • Quickie update - spent £6 on 18 toilet rolls hopefully see us through month. I am running slightly over but hope to come in on budget.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Aiming for a NSD today. Food shopping is done for the week, so i dont need anything else.
  • icontinuetodream
    Options
    Came in £20 under for the first week but have spent this weeks budget already!!:o However, should have everything I need for the rest of the week so hoping for a week of NSD's!!!:D
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • CountingPennies
    Options
    Looks like there is no way i'm gonna have enough in the budget to survive the rest of the month. Everything just seems to be running low all at once and i'm spending a fortune :o

Today, spent £5.30 in Aldi on a big 30 pack of crisps and a few packs of biscuits, followed by a huge £45.75 in Iceland. My freezer was empty apart from chicken fillets so did a freezer top up shop. Also got a big bag of potatoes and all my pop from there. Oh and cheese and sandwich fillings. Ohh, and a couple of YS packs of meat. Actually bought quite a lot there but more than I hoped to spend.

I then had to pop into Mr T's to get the value juice and more veg. Ended up spending £29.65 (that included £4 xmas top up) but I did get plenty of packed lunch stuff and a few bars of chocolate to bake with.

I think i'm not taking into consideration that now the kids are back at school i'm probably spending more as its the first time the 3 of them have all been on packed lunches, so buying much more bread and meat/cheese ect.

Will still keep the same budget for this month, take note of how much I go over by, and adjust accordingly next month. Still not spending in excess of £800 a month like I was a few months ago tho! :cool:

This now brings my total to £268.32/£450 so i really need to stick to meal planning now and make the most of what is in my cupboards!
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • aliwali
    aliwali Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    First week complete and £8.70 over budget but I do have some of the meat for next week so should hopefully claw it back. I haven't had to compromise on my mainly free-range/organic stance either which I am pleased about. It's definitely hard though being so careful! I have downloaded an app to track the spending which is working well for me so far.
    Fashion on a ration 0 of 66
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    NSD achieved :D
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    CH27 wrote: »
    NSD achieved :D

Well done, feels good doesn`t it. :)
    Slimming World at target
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Well done, feels good doesn`t it. :)

It really does.

Thanks to everyone here i've halved my spending this week :j
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    aliwali wrote: »
    First week complete and £8.70 over budget but I do have some of the meat for next week so should hopefully claw it back. I haven't had to compromise on my mainly free-range/organic stance either which I am pleased about. It's definitely hard though being so careful! I have downloaded an app to track the spending which is working well for me so far.

Hi I'd be interested to know what app you use please? I 've got one on my phone that I don't seem to get on with I think is called money envolopes. I have also tried myspending diary, but I find with this if you ever get money back from something there isn't a way to reflect that.

£1. 00 spend for me today on pop for treat night. Tomorrow, I need Quorn sandwich meat, butter and fizzy water.Then hopefully alot of NSDs next week.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport