British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• @vigman

At the end of the fixed period of the switch (12 months time) if you do nothing, BG will put you on their cheapest standard tariff for both fuels which cannot have exit fees. So you will have a continuation of supplier. Of course, standard tariffs are very expensive compared to the collective deals.

However, you will be free to arrange a swap without exit fees anytime in the last 42 days of the fixed period (i.e. the 6 weeks up to its end date). You can use any comparison site at that time to find out which tariff on the market then is best for you and you can switch then.

If you wish to swap before then, then you would be liable to the BG exit fees. Again use a comparison site to see what is available and the costs.
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    Hi Civvy21

Yes that's right - these are worked separately as the switch of supply need to go through a different process.

Your gas will probably move to the new tariff sooner than the electric.
  • Civvy21
    Civvy21 Posts: 63
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks Dan,

I did end up speaking to British Gas and they said that for some reason my Gas switch had not gone through. They have now re processed the order, although this may have been after the thursday deadline. I am assuming this will not cause any problems.

Hope it all runs smoothly now.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 February 2016 at 5:38PM
    I'm switching from npower to BG through MSE, saving almost £500 per annum. Had three emails so far from BG saying gas switch will be 29/2, 1/3 now 2/3, hopefully made up their mind now. Still waiting on electric switch dates.
    Also had email from npower saying thanks for being our customer and no cancellation charges will be made.
  • JenniferK
    JenniferK Posts: 264
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Here we go again - the 6th time I have had this from BG: I despair.

" [FONT=&quot]Sorry, we couldn't process your reading[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hello Ms Kenyon

We're having some technical problems with our website. We would be grateful if you could try to resubmit your reading in 24 hours, or call our automated phone line free on 0800 107 0224*.

Please have your Customer Reference Number to hand, shown on this email to the right, and choose option 4 from the menu.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
  • camhan
    camhan Posts: 11 Forumite
    I also have received the same message again. I must have received this message at least 8 times now and have also called and given my readings. I wish the whole transfer could be cancelled as this is just ridiculous now!!!!
  • kittykitten
    kittykitten Posts: 418 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2016 at 9:34AM
    Has anyone else heard absolutely nothing from BG? Did switch on 14th February, got confirmation email from MSE cheap energy club, the. Not a peep! I've never done this before, no idea how long it normally takes, but was under some vague impression that I should have heard from BG by now?

Scratch above post, letter just dropped through door today (heard postman as I was typing original post!) dated 16th feb so who knows where it has been?! Saying welcom to British gas etc etc. estimated switch date of 3rd March, but they definitely haven't been in touch asking for meter readings or anything yet!
    OS weight loss challenge: 4.5/6 lbs
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Has anyone else heard absolutely nothing from BG? Did switch on 14th February, got confirmation email from MSE cheap energy club, the. Not a peep! I've never done this before, no idea how long it normally takes, but was under some vague impression that I should have heard from BG by now?

Scratch above post, letter just dropped through door today (heard postman as I was typing original post!) dated 16th feb so who knows where it has been?! Saying welcom to British gas etc etc. estimated switch date of 3rd March, but they definitely haven't been in touch asking for meter readings or anything yet!
    Much the same

Welcome from BG with switch date for today. Sorry you're leaving from current supplier telling me I'd hear from BG. All I can say to that is .:rotfl:
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    edited 7 March 2016 at 2:28PM
    JenniferK wrote: »
    Here we go again - the 6th time I have had this from BG: I despair.

" [FONT=&quot]Sorry, we couldn't process your reading[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hello Ms Kenyon

We're having some technical problems with our website. We would be grateful if you could try to resubmit your reading in 24 hours, or call our automated phone line free on 0800 107 0224*.

Please have your Customer Reference Number to hand, shown on this email to the right, and choose option 4 from the menu.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Hi JenniferK and CamHan

Sorry to hear that you've had some problems with the meter reads. Could I point you in the direction of my earlier post covering this issue?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5415092&page=3#58
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Having spent several hours trying to sort out my tariff, I was amused to get this email:
    How did we do?

British Gas

British Gas really value their customers' feedback and are very interested receiving feedback from people who have recently contacted them by email.

We would like to invite you to take part in a survey which will help them to understand your needs to improve the services that they provide to customers and potential customers.

This survey is very short and will only take 5-10 minutes of your time to complete. It will be available for 7 days before it expires. To take part please click on the link below:

Thank you in advance for your participation.

British Gas Customer Service Team - eDigitalResearch

This email has been sent by eDigital Research on behalf of British Gas. eDigitalResearch are industry leaders in online research.

All information is stored on a secure server. Personal information collected will never be sold, shared, or rented without prior consent. For our detailed security policy please click here: https://www.edigitalresearch.com/privacy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback