PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    ooitsme wrote: »
    Starting my first ever grocery challenge today and looking forward to it...
    I have some sprouts n a parsnip to use up from Christmas - if I make bubble n squeak with potatoes does anyone know if it will freeze well?

my sister always freezes her bubble and squeak and says its fine. She freezes it in marg tubs.
    oh, it may be a little looser when you defrost, but all you have to do is add a small amount of flour.
  • First day of my gc.. Want to get the 1st feb within my budget (200) including dog and cat food and that will be a challenge!!
    Freezer is full though and just need to get act together and plan meals .. Today is sausage ragu.. Have 6 sausages left over from yesterday and peppers in fridge so don't need anything for it from shops. Am going to aim for no spend days until sat.. Fingers crossed . Happy new year all.. Good luck with those grocery challenges..
    Baby due 4th May 2013
    January grocery challenge £200
  • WantToBeSE
    Sorry, me again!
    I need to use up eggs and carrots by Friday..does anyone have a good recipe that i could use?
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Happy New Year everyone :D

I had to go and get cat food and bread yesterday. Ended up spending £14.50 but I got some great YS stuff for the freezer. I was quite proud that I managed to avoid being tempted by all the seasonal stuff that we just don't need but got lots of good, healthy stuff like fresh pasta, low fat garlic bread, nice sliced bakery bread and meat. Also got a huge bag of satsumas for 15p :money:

I am going to do a freezer, cupboard and fridge inventory later so that I can lie on the sofa, nursing my hangover and doing a meal plan as I want to avoid shopping until the end of next week if I possibly can.

Have a good day

PPxx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Sorry, me again!
    I need to use up eggs and carrots by Friday..does anyone have a good recipe that i could use?

Do you have any rice or noodles? I often make egg fried rice / noodles with chopped up onions and carrot batons. Or carrot cake?
    Grocery Challenge £114.22/ £110
  • njk2125
    njk2125 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Smallish spend of £5.00 yesterday on 3 bottles of fizzy pop 2 packets of tortillas 5 packs of 4 YS pork pies and the TV guide. Sent OH but only gave him £5 in change to limit what he spent, lol.

Had people round for a mini party last night we still had lots of booze left from christmas and we used up the majority of the party food in the freezer. Was a good night singing and dancing competitions on the Wii ending at 3.30 am.

Were having lamb in mint gravy today for tea from the freezer with whatever veg is in the fridge.

Not going near the shops today, have one or two things on the shopping list but non are essential yet.

I'm setting myself a mini target of £250 for january within the £5000 budget so that I have room to do a stock up in Feb.
    GC 10/12/2012 to 10/12/2013 £611.71/ £5000
    Jan £343.33
    Dec £268.38.

• twisting
    twisting Posts: 16 Forumite
    I'm new here and wanted to sign up for the January challenge :D

We are a family of 5, with 2 cats and a rabbit so having read the intro stuff to this thread, I am going to take a guess and say £400 for this month - til Feb 1st. Anything below that is going towards CC debt from Christmas :o
    January grocery challenge £111.35/£400
  • LMac
    LMac Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone. Im new here too and would like to join. This month will be eating mostly from cupboards and freezer for first 2 weeks so hoping to keep it under £50. Groceries is def an area where I overspend
  • WantToBeSE
    Do you have any rice or noodles? I often make egg fried rice / noodles with chopped up onions and carrot batons. Or carrot cake?

Thanks Hedgesparrow, egg fried rice with carrot in, sounds lovely :)
  • raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Happy New Year! just a pot noodle for work bought today from spar costing an alarming £1.39 :eek: thats going to have to stop. going to make pasta bake for dinner to make inroads with the leftover xmas cheese mountain. :D
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport