PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• CompBunny
    CompBunny Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Options
    After reading Spiggle's excellent post with advice for the GC I did a stocktake yesterday and I'm shocked with how much stuff I have! I discovered amongst other things 21 unopened bags of various shaped pasta, 20 tins of tomatoes, 18 tins of beans, 16 jars of curry sauce, enough curry ketchup to last over a year (bought on various trips to Europe!), 8 unlabelled boxes of frozen meals I'd made, several joints of meat, 16 beef burgers that I'd frozen, 20 bottles of wine and 88 toilet rolls :eek: (I may have got carried away with these, I found them hidden all over the house).

I now aim to plan all meals around what I have and I really shouldn't have to buy much apart from fresh things.
    I'm jealous that you have the space to store all of that stuff!:eek::D
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• recovering_spendaholic
    recovering_spendaholic Posts: 3,062 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2011 at 9:12PM
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    My microwave broke a couple of months back and I replaced it with a combi microwave oven from Aldi costing £42.99. It has an oven, a grill and a microwave. It is really good and saves a fortune in electric. It makes crispy jacket pots in less than 18 mins and fantastic Yorkshire puddings. I know they were just a seasonal offer thing Aldi does but they do seem to get them in quiet often. I did see some cheap microwaves in asda a few weeks back.
    Good luck

The one I had originally came from aldi and they refunded my money - it was £70 though - when did you get yours for £42. I will look out for them in Aldi again - until it broke I really liked mine!

Just edited to add that I just looked on the Aldi website and they have a microwave and grill on special this week for £49.99. I will go in and have a look at it tomorrow.

On another note - they also have 2kg bags of dishwasher salt on offer for 79p. I found dishwasher salt to be invaluable last winter when the snow and ice was here. I put it all over my drive and the granules "stuck" and melted the snow and ice didn't form and the salt granules stayed crunchy underfoot for a couple of days or more. I told everyone about it and they all agreed that it worked a treat!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • welshlovebiscuit
    Options
    Had an 'almost' NSD today...had to put £1.50 in the meter in the car park at uni (the machine's been broken the last few weeks but sadly they'd had it repaired!). I was very good and had my water bottle instead of coffee and a muffin in the cafe too...everyone else was scoffing.

Sunday I was a domestic goddess and made butternut soup, then I used the rather inedible apples we bought in L*DL last week (really sour and nasty)to make apple and cinnamon muffins - they're lush!

The A*da bill came in at £39 on Sunday - still on target. We actually only have 2 weeks left of our month as we run 20th-20th and I'm pretty confident I'll come in at under £240. Have to eat everything in the freezer now - the frost has built up badly and I can't get the bottom draw in so need to defrost ASAP.
    Mortgage starting balance - [STRIKE]£151,030 [/STRIKE]:eek: [STRIKE]£143,733.28[/STRIKE] £137,000 (25 years to go...):o
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Took DS shopping at Mr A's yesterday, while his GF was working, and ended up spending £16.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• totallybored
    totallybored Posts: 1,141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CompBunny wrote: »
    I'm jealous that you have the space to store all of that stuff!:eek::D

You should see my spare room! Mountains of loo roll and booze.
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not long got in from Asd*, boyfriend had to come along as not too steady on my feet today, grrrrr appreciate the help but he was after buying the most expensive of everything! I felt rather guilty as it's his food too after all and he is an adult so "let" him have his 2 cooked meats for £3 and the small tub of coleslaw for 66p instead of the value one a little larger for 22p :/

Will check in properly tomorrow just needed to go ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all

Called in BandM today and was surprised at the prices. Spent £5.31.............4 packs poppadums @49p each....2 jars Pataks Korma 75p each..........4 tins petit pois @19p....Olive oil £1.39.

Bought some speciality bread on special offer in local bakers £3.69. That fed 6. Happy enough with that. Planning tomorrow a NSD.

best wishes to all.
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    We are going for £100 for the month - month goes 1st to the 31st of October and is to cover my partner, me and 2 chinchillas.
    Sorry I am late in starting. I wanted to do my total for September first but after 3 days searching for all of the receipts and no luck I can't. I am sure we went over in September but no idea how much by :o.

Will have to keep a close eye on the receipts again and remind my partner to put them under the magnet on the freezer where they belong when he gets home!
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • karen_is_trying
    Options
    Just a pound for us today for a loaf of wholemeal...£91.23/£280
    1414-sealed pot challenge :j157-virtual sealed pot challenge:) £10.23..
    £175.73/£280 october grocery challenge:eek: 3/15 NSD October ;)
  • lisakay_2
    lisakay_2 Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    £5 in poundland
    50p in mr T
    £1.40 at the icerink for choc for the kids
    £22.76 in Ald*... not the £10 I had hoepd for but you should see the mountain of fruit and veg I bought!
    total £30.16 (i think! not got my maths head on tonight).

that should easily see us through the week, and what we haven't got, we're not getting.;)
    also had to spend £7.40 on DH prescription, but not adding that in.

P.s. didn't check which one of you was doing slimming world, but me too:D lost 3 1/2 st so far. 3lb this week. 8lb to target. green days are a lot cheaper than red or ee (i only do green as i'm veggi) you can have 2 of the ald* harvest morn bars, less than 70 cals as a HEB and they are very nice and cheaper than a lot of the cereal bars.

ETA: £29.66! best get off to bed!
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family