PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Totals done to post 301

Morning all

I need to update my siggy with some spends

Chillies are back at school - yeah!!! Its so peaceful here, no arguing or fighting, no tv, no games consoles and I can get on the pooter when I want to - sorted lol

Have a good day everyone

Forgot to say - Welcome and Hi to all the new people and the returners

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mrs-moneypenny, I've added your quinoa recipe to the index. I've never used it so this is really useful for me, might try it next month :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • had to go out today for reflexology on the other side of town but managed to get back only spending my £3.70 bus fair - was very tempted to buy lunch but convinced myself to come home instead lol

Since bus fair doesnt count im thinking this is NSD number 2 for me :)
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi, just got back from Mr T's with a load of reduced fruit and mushrooms but my best bargain of all was the fresh cauliflowers. They are BOGOF at 84p each but the till took £1.42 off my bill:T.
    So I'm very happy to add just £4.89 to my total.
  • More spends added to signature & a lot of it was on complete rubbish! This is because Mr A had a lot of chocolate bars for £1 for 4 & the kids (& me!) have one bar a day with their lunch so I stocked up. Oh dear! I have promised to take OH's Mum to Aldi tomorrow aswell so will probably end up getting some wine from there so more spends.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • hopefully a nsd for me today, have been making chutney today, and off to take dd to her swim lesson after school. i usually drink pop all of the time and have run out (and lidls near work tomorrow so not driving there today) so challenging myself not to buy other (more expensive ) pop locally today. will take a bottle of diluted squash with me to the pool and that should do it.

had a bag of potatoes given to me yesterday, so making homemade chips for tea:T
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • Hmmmmm, what can I make with cauliflower...... :think:

Good spot, thank you, might go and try that one. Am struggling to work up the motivation to go out in the horrible weather though. Keep re-jigging my meal plan to put it off for yet another day! Would usually go round the market on a Tuesday but that's not holding much appeal today funnily enough. It's cheaper than the supermarket, but that's so much warmer, and drier......:p

Am making all bran & banana muffins instead, because I found a box of the horrible stuff in the back of the cupboard and I'm never going to eat it for breakfast, and there was a whole bag of over-ripe bananas lurking in the bottom of the freezer.

Mostly using this recipe, with a few minor tweaks (because I didn't have enough sultanas but I had some dates & some walnuts)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/carolsbranmuffins_91964

It's amazing the things you find when you stop going to the supermarket every evening to buy something for tea. I've been eating healthier since I started thinking so carefully about what I'm buying than I have done in ages. So, thanks everyone for the inspiration, even if that wasn't entirely the intention. :T :D
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 6 September 2011 at 1:53PM
    Afternoon

My total so far is £113.41 which is OK and I've got a fair bit in but I will not plan.

And if I'm going to make this month's lower target I absolutely have to.

So this post is a shout to myself to a) make a freezer list b) make a food plan and c) make some defrosted butterbeans I have into soup before they go off.

There we go, apathy shifted, I'll be back to catch up on the thread when I've done what I know I have to do!

Hope everybody is having a good September (now the kids are back at school :D).
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hmmmmm, what can I make with cauliflower...... :think:

:T :D
    James Martin made a cauli and apple soup on TV this morning, think was just cauli, onion, apple, veg stock and milk, salt and pepper to taste.
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • TrixieB wrote: »
    James Martin made a cauli and apple soup on TV this morning, think was just cauli, onion, apple, veg stock and milk, salt and pepper to taste.

Ooh - will google that recipe, thanks! I decided a few weeks ago that I would drive out to the farms in the country near my house to buy veg and eggs. I couldn't believe how much cheaper it is. I get a GIANT cauliflower for 50p and the same price for giant cabbages and big bags of carrots. Also the extra large free range eggs are £3.20 for 30 eggs, and they also have trays of little pullets eggs for £1.50.

I am still using up stuff in the cupboards and freezer so am making two teas tonight - leftover roast chicken and veg for kids and cottage pie (which I made a froze a while ago) for my sister myslef and my friend who are visiting.

NSD today (hopefully!!)
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure