Opinions on Aberdeen!!

Comments

• I moved to Aberdeen last year from the west coast of ayrshire. I feel like i've come home.

The weather is so much better for a start. The folk are nice, even if they do talk funny and mistakelnly call me a weegie! Aberdeen is kick !!! in my opinion. I love it.

The chippie down the bottom of our road(Dave's in bucksburn) is brilliant.

Couple of points, chip rolls, nope. gravy, nope. rowies, are quite possible the single greatest cuillinary development to ever come from Scotland, especially slightly toasted.

btk
    All advice given by thekid is in good faith but remember these important facts:
    1. I'm lucky enough to live in Scotland(Scots Law may apply)...
    2. My motto is "What's the worst that can happen" you've seen the kids in the Comic Relief clips, is it to that scale? Then get a grip!
    3. It's only money...no really(see #2)
    4. I'm only a plumber... :wink:
    thekid
  • I lived in aberdeen for 4 years whilst at uni, and I loved it. I would say its better for going out than Edinburgh, as all the pubs etc are within walking distance. Also pubs tend to have more of a party atmosphere than Edinburgh, rather than a posing atmosphere if you know what I mean. Property is much cheaper than Edinburgh. The people are much friendlier than Edinburgh, although it may take you a good year or so to understand the accent! It is a much smaller city than Edinburgh, and you will find that there's not the same kind of things in some respects - new restaurants, art shows etc, but for what it is and where it is, its lovely. Bad point would be that its always freezing and windy! I would definately move back, even after living in Edinburgh for nearly three years.

If you've got any specific questions etc please feel free to PM me!
  • Cheers for all the advice - just spent the weekend trying out the nightlife and having a look round different areas. Just confirmed today with my boss that we want to move! So I start on April 1st, which hopefully isnt an omen... I need to find a house and a nursery by then so I will take you up on the PM offers to check areas etc etc! Right now I'm going for a drink to celebrate (and to google butteries...) ;o)
    Number 86 - Stole a car from a one legged woman... I'm just trying to be a better person
  • fluffynit
    fluffynit Posts: 11,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Butteries/Rowies you can get in most Tesco's in Central Scotland..love em!

Good luck with new job and forthcoming move, hope you love the Granite City!

fluffynit
  • it's cold and it's windy,but you'll love it
  • SMARTY29A wrote:
    i live 45 miles north of aberdeen

Fraserburgh?
  • I was born and raised in South Wales and travelled about for 10 years or so in the Forces (inc. a couple of years in Edinburgh) but have lived in Aberdeen for the last six years or so and would have no hesitation in saying, "Go for it!"

Plenty to do and see and it is just a couple of hours up the motorway from Auld Reekie after all.

It's expensive for housing and cars mind you so, depending on your budget, you may be better off living outside the city itself in somewhere like Kintore, Blackburn or Drumoak.

Good luck on your decision.
  • Likewise, feel free to PM me too. Have a good knowledge of the city and nurseries etc if you are looking for help.
  • Hi, glad to hear you are coming to stay in the Granite City, hope you like it here. As for where to stay, it would depend on where you are working as there are certain nightmare traffic areas, mainly due to the fact that there are two rivers through Aberdeen and only a couple of bridges over each one, causing a bottleneck in rush hour.

The nicest areas are to the West of the city and you can travel to any area quite easily from there, but they are the most expensive too - Cults, Milltimber and Bieldside are the priciest and smartest areas while Peterculter, Kingswells and Westhill are still very nice but less pricey. Westhill also has a fabulous nursery that my 20-month old adores.

There isn't anything like the arts / culture that Edinburgh has in Aberdeen but we do have a couple of good music and theatre venues if that's your thing (esp The Lemon Tree) and the nightlife is pretty great.

There's loads for kids - try Soft Bear Play Centre at Strachan or Satrosphere science museum for a rainy day (and there will be a few of those). Loads of mums and toddler groups on at community centres too, a great way to meet other parents in your area.

I have lived in Aberdeen all my life (except three years spent travelling) and I LOVE it!
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    be a good idea to see where the new bypass is going before buying a house
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills