PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• theskintfamily
    Options
    just milk for me this weekend (£1.40) and had a meal out yesterday (£13.90) but was such a treat, can't tell you the last time I ate out.. won't be doing it again in a hurry though!

am planning on living out of the cupboards & freezer this week. don't think I'll need to get anything other than bread and milk.

Just off to update my sig...
    Jan GC £0/£200
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, just popped in to update signature and catch up on thread.

Total spend so far this month is £49.59:eek:
    This is from various shops over the last few days and have restocked the fridge and cupboards.
    Mr T is still doing "pure" milk 2x 2litre bottles for £2.60
    Hovis bread is still 3 for £3
    And they still have the 3 for £10 offer on selected meat.

Hope everyone is doing ok.
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • mrspoor
    mrspoor Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, I can't believe how lost I felt without the forum!! Was supposed to be studying all weekend, as I'm off on my revision courses on the 14th (and they'll be learning-for-the-first-time courses rather than revision at this rate!) but have only managed about half an hours work so far!:eek:

Been a pretty cheap weekend though, bought a couple of bits we needed yesterday and a couple of whoopsied quorn bits for the freezer, and had a very MSE lunch yesterday of leftover Chinese takeaway. I didn't really fancy it, but there was no way I was throwing away perfectly good food - and it was very nice once reheated! :D The takeaway was the first we've had in months, paid for out of spending money rather than GC money.

Random question - does anyone know if out of date red lentils are ok to eat? Discovered them in my cupboard, and don't really want to bin them, but not sure if I'll be ill from eating them! :rolleyes:
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    mrspoor wrote: »
    Random question - does anyone know if out of date red lentils are ok to eat? Discovered them in my cupboard, and don't really want to bin them, but not sure if I'll be ill from eating them! :rolleyes:
    I've eaten out of date pulses before & they were fine but I'm sure that someone with more technical knowledge will be along soon :T I have a feeling that it's kidney beans that can be funny but can't remember why I'm thinking that IYSWIM? :D
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...i too was on the verge of doing some housework so im glad we are up and running again:p

on the subject of buying healthy stuff and finding it vile...i purchased some goji berries......yuk i couldnt even get them down by swallowing them with a glass of water like u do tablets....i slung them out but that was prior to gc so goodness knows what i would do with the nasty things now......dont let me put anyone off trying though one persons meat etc etc

mrs m what if gyros meat ?....i get the meat bit its the other word is it a shop ?? and cant u get cheese in germany...well not english cheese iyswim ?

i got some asda organic pork mince a bit back it was reduced to 65p and it was fab...lovely i made it in to burgers with bits of chopped mushrooms in and some chopped herbs from the garden...if u shape burgers and leave in fridge they dont seem to fall apart so readily onceu cook them ive found.....i will be buying this mince when it is full price...so the burgers must have been nice;)

we are off to the black country museum during the week so im off to home bargains to get some bits and bobs to take...drinks mostly and picnic stuff....ds wants to try the fish and chip shop ...i find catering can be dear so ill make a picnic and buy a small quantity of what ever takes his fanc

tata
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Mountain_Ash
    Options
    Hi folks,

Grocery spend now standing at £24.66 for the month.

That is £3.22 at the greengrocers yesterday, plus £1 in Iceland for their 50% extra free Ainsley Harriott couscous (3 sachets for the price of 2) which I use for my packed lunches.

Today's trip to Asda came to £20.44, so have spent more than the week's allocated £18.75, but this included things like sweetener and mayo which will last for a long time, as well as stocking up on SP chopped tomatoes, baked beans etc, and buying food for the week.

I've got £50.34 to last me the rest of the month - 3 Sundays left so £16.78 a week. I'm away one weekend and will probably spend Easter at the parents so that should give me enough leeway to get through the month.

Made chickpea and spinach curry yesterday, so that was lunch and 2 portions for the freezer. Making Quorn chilli tonight so that should be tonight's tea and 2 portions for the freezer.

Went out for a meal on Friday, but that comes out of the entertainment budget :D

All the best,
    Ro
    When the going gets tough, the tough eat chocolate!

Cross Stitch Cafe Monthly Challenge Member No. 15
  • Zend
    Zend Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    First shop of the month-£97. I did manage to get a few bargins and hopefully it will last now until the end of the month.
    January spend = £100
    Spent =
    saving =
  • kalojac
    kalojac Posts: 423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doing not too bad so far, got the cupboards all stocked, fridge full and cleaning and toiletries well stocked too and I reckon going by the money taken from the account (not totalled accurately yet), I am about £160 into the budget.

Got DS 2's birthday party next Sunday and am going to try and budget in his party to the usual spends, so here's hoping I can be imaginative enough to pull it off.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tessie
    Gyros is a kind of kebab meat -but chunks of meat rather than moshed and reformed ( I believe its greek or there abouts)..apparently my hubby used to live on them before we got together :eek: they are much nicer than other "kebabs" but still a bit greasy... for gyros meat, salad, chips and tzatziki on a plate as a takeaway they are about €8 each .... but I have found that aldi sell the meat in the freezer -so I buy that and make my own tortilla wraps, cook the meat until crispy and do caramalised onions, mushrooms and peppers and serve it wrapped up with salad and tzatziki on the side ... and we both prefer it :Dand the meat is €2.49 a box and that will do us 2 meals each -super saving :T:rotfl:

English cheeses are hard to get hold of apart from in the NAAFI and they cost an arm and a leg... about €6+ for a 400g block of mature cheddar and over €4 for a small block of cheshire etc:eek:-unless I spot any whoopsed ;)-so now hubby has a stash to keep him happy for quite some time ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    thankyou for explaining mrs m......its a fake away then.....very good saving:D and much healthier i would think.....have u tried any german cheese ?thats pricey for english type stuff...where did the other men put their luggage after your oh had filled up the boot with all those provisions ?? could i suggest he fixs on a trailer for next time;)

its very interesting to here about german prices and whats available....thankyou for sharing
    tess
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family