PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Options
Can anyone help Celtic FC find a recipe for Chocolate chrunch cake?

Anyone got any more school days recipes?

I've got one for toffee pie (hmm :P) but it doesn't seem to turn out quite like the ones I remember from shcool. When I find the recipe I'll post it on here.

(Before the introdution of pizzas and chips a few years ago) School dinners used to be made from scratch by a cook and (I should imagine) on quite a limited budget so there should be some good ideas on frugal cooking.
When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can buy chocolate crunch where i am (doncaster, S,yorks) from a chain of bakers called cooplands.

Don't know if they have have any branches outside Doncaster though :-/
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    I've made gypsy tart. You need a pastry shell, bought or made, and basically you whisk up brown sugar and evaporated milk till it's thick, pour it into the shell and bake slowly until it's set.
    Manchester Tart is a pastry with a layer of red jam (any sort) a layer of thick custard, and coconut spread on top, and baked. We love it! :)
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Gypsy tart - dark muscovado sugar and evaporated milk, whisk for 10 minutes then put it in a recently turned off oven to set and its great - its in one of gary rhodes cook books - my mum used to make it years ago and you can't beat it - well you can for 10 minutes!! Any less and its not as good!
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Does anyone else remember the white bubbly sauce served with desserts? I'm starting to think it was a figment of my imagination! It was lovely light and creamy and usually got served with some big cookies or something - I've never been able to find anything like it?
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've made gypsy tart.  You need a pastry shell, bought or made, and basically you whisk up brown sugar and evaporated milk till it's thick, pour it into the shell and bake slowly until it's set.
    Manchester Tart is a pastry with a layer of red jam (any sort) a layer of thick custard, and coconut spread on top, and baked.  We love it! :)

our manchester tart has bananas sliced on top of the jam and beneath the custard, does anyone else do this?
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe for the sweet "fake" cream we used to get piped on our desserts? I used to love that!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    that on gypsy tart was FAB!

its a kind of mock cream isnt it? I have often wondered how to recreate it and looking at the gypsytart recipe I am wondering if it was something like evaporated milk whizzed up with something?

I also used to like cheese pie - did anyone else have that? (and no, its not quiche)
    Blah
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    traffic light tarts
    hot rice pud with jam
    beef cobbler
    steamed jam pudding
    homemade crisps
    yum! I was only discussing school dinners yesterday with my 7 year old. We had a proper cook and she made all the food, and thats not MANY years ago, only in the 1970s. We always had Fish on a friday (church tradition) and the only thing i didnt like was the fish pie.

Had a steamed pud last night, its a doddle. for 4 greedy people you need 2 eggs, then weigh the eggs and use the same weight in self raising flour, margarine or vegetable oil and sugar, for example the eggs i used weighed 4oz in total so it was 4oz each of everything else. Plonk a nice big dollop of jam or marmalade into a pudding basin, then add the other, beaten ingredients. Steam, having covered the basin with foil or greaseproof paper, for about 2 hours
    Eat whilst lawsuit inducingly hot ;D
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    I also used to like cheese pie - did anyone else have that? (and no, its not quiche)

I remember eating and making (in cookery class) cheese and potato pie. It came in pale green oval individual dishes. I think it was just mashed potato with grated cheese mixed in (it might have had a wisked egg in as well) cheese on top and put in the oven.

Is that the same thing Vanoonoo?
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    naaah
    we had cheese pie and schools still do it, pastry with a really cheesy greasy filling but definitely not a quiche and definitely much nicer ;D
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts