Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 08, 12:15 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 08, 12:15 PM
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 08 at 12:15 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2009.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2008 at 1:18 PM.
Page 49
    • natzini
    • By natzini 10th Jan 09, 9:38 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    natzini
    I got a food order in last Monday, should last us an extra week and a half to what we've had. Spent £72 with that as got a code for free delivery. Next one we get I have a £10 voucher off too! So I now have £53 left which we can easily do!

Un sou est un sou
  • gillst
    The new Lakeland catalogue arrived in the post today, keep debating about the Remoska but frightened to spend that amount of money but thinking about it today I have decided to start saving a little each month and then maybe ask for one for my Birthday which is a while away yet so should have enough saved by then.
    Originally posted by scotsaver
    I have been debating whether or not to get a Remoska, having read how everyone with one seems to enthuse about it, and the potential savings in electricity. I wonder how long it will take to recoup the cost of over £100 (for the large one) with the saving on electricity. However, having just got my electricity bill in - nearly £300, the gas being the same, I am now very tempted to get one. My DSs turn my main oven on just to cook a pizza or something similar, so obviously this is a big waste. Hopefully the Remoska is easy to use and they will use that instead.

Updating my spend - I think I have totally underestimated what we spend. I have got quite a stock in, but had to get veggies, etc from Mr S and ended up spending £44 (knew I should not have taken DH with me). With bread of £1.20 this morning and the sack of potatoes I bought yesterday (£8), I have not got much left this month. First month and I HAVE FAILED!!!! Feel really bad about this. Must try harder next month. I WILL NOT GIVE UP
  • orchid-96
    gillst bet you have got loads in now though and can make what you stretch much better with all the help and advice on here, especially the veggies, I now make sure I use them up and if I think I won't I cook them somehow and freeze them for later (especially potatoes) and before coming on here I didn't realise I could do that.

I know what you mean about underestimating as well, Think I am guilty of that too...

I am planning a nsd today, the only thing I may need is a bottle of wine as my inlaws are treating us to a takeaway curry tonight so might just nip out later to aldi for one of their cheap and cheerful bottles of plonk..
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Gillst -Im not encouraging you to buy a remoska BUT I cook every day and have a standard remoska (well 2 actually)...and I must have had mine about 5-6 months now and the big gas guzzling oven has been on twice in that time -both hubby zapping a pizza when I was in hospital :rolleyes:
    Not only does it use less fuel, but I have prefered everything cooked in there so far... plus it seems like less effort to make a few buns, scones in it than in the cooker :confused:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • fallen angel shelley
    RE- free food at MrM
    The free food offer is in the MIRROR not the daily mail, sorry if this has caused anyone any inconvenience.

Shelley x

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=17515833&postcount=2
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. May grocery challenge £41.96/140
  • huxley
    Hi all hope everyone is doing alright and aren't too cold. Just popped on to update my signature, then off to make some carrot and corriander soup cheap,cheeful and warming. Hope you all have a good day.
  • kunekune
    Went into town to get the missing ingredients for the rest of the week:

bananas
    apples
    tomatoes
    cucumber
    houmous
    cranberry jelly
    2 loaves bread

Total spend: £10

We are nearly out of fruit juice, and OH will probably get some later, when he goes to pick up the other kind of fruit juice (not on the grocery budget).
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 10th Jan 09, 11:22 AM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 30,870 Thanks
    sashanut
    Hi all I hope you are doing well & staying warm inside today - good baking day here! Staff shop at wk has now re-opened & I am going in each work day to stock up against my eventual end of contract (poss end Jan). Freezers are fully stocked but need to re-jig to make more room over the weekend - no work till Monday so hopefully 2NSDs coming up!
    Also went to Mr Ms yesterday to stock up on things I can't get at work: pleased to find the Branston beans cheap as we all like those (75p/4), also big sacks of spuds (27.5 lb)are still £3.49, thought they would go up after Christmas for sure, they are nice spuds bt do need washing, also 2 bags of lentils at 84p ea, cooking ingredients, etc. & a little bit of pasta - shocked at some prices - value pasta 47p a bag now, value kidney beans 48p, you really have to be selective in what you buy these days. With staff discount card (DDs friend's) total was £28.94, then in evening went into work to buy something in the sale I'd reserved - only to find shop was shut!!! Who didn't check the opening hours??? As DH came with me it could have been a disaster but quickly drove round to staff entrance & staff shop was still - just - open.....had to rush but got large leeks for 6p each, beansprouts & peppers 12p each, spent £14.49 -total adjusted.

Then I got an email from Mr Ts - I bought a new washer from them last year to get points; but as I thought missed out on a promotion because it only involved specific white goods - now they've honoured the promotion with the cheap W/M - so I have £40 free groceries to be delivered in Jan. Very pleased - so will stock up with store cupboard stuff..

Lunch today will be HM chicken soup & HM chinese tonight, SW egg fried rice, chicken chow mein & some nibbles from M&S promotion over New Year...mmmm
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 10th Jan 09, 11:35 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    I have been debating whether or not to get a Remoska, having read how everyone with one seems to enthuse about it, and the potential savings in electricity. I wonder how long it will take to recoup the cost of over £100 (for the large one) with the saving on electricity. However, having just got my electricity bill in - nearly £300, the gas being the same, I am now very tempted to get one. My DSs turn my main oven on just to cook a pizza or something similar, so obviously this is a big waste. Hopefully the Remoska is easy to use and they will use that instead.

Updating my spend - I think I have totally underestimated what we spend. I have got quite a stock in, but had to get veggies, etc from Mr S and ended up spending £44 (knew I should not have taken DH with me). With bread of £1.20 this morning and the sack of potatoes I bought yesterday (£8), I have not got much left this month. First month and I HAVE FAILED!!!! Feel really bad about this. Must try harder next month. I WILL NOT GIVE UP
    Originally posted by gillst
    No don't give up and you haven't failed yet! How much have you got left and what have you got in the house? Let's have a look and see what we can do.

It might be that like me you have to revise your budget maybe adding ten or twenty pounds BUT with a plan of action you can still have a fabulous result. Have a look at Farmfoods in future for froaen veg and fruit, most of it is 39p so that's 20 bags for less than £8.00!
  • Changingme
    Just got back from shopping spent £50.00,would really like to get another airer,this will have to come out of shopping money next week.I have £100 left also hopping to use some of this for DS2 school trip £160 in total but have deposit of £30 put buy.
    Save £4500 in 2014
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 10th Jan 09, 12:23 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 36,731 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Seeing posts about vegetables reminded me of the baking potatoes doing nothing in the veg rack. I fished them out and put them in the oven with the chicken that was roasting. I found a couple of small bags of grated cheese in the freezer, so I've made cheesy baked potatoes. I'm going to freeze them when they've cooled down.

While I had the cheese out I decided to make some cheese scones too. They were quick and easy, and went in with the chicken after the baked potatoes were done. I'll probably freeze all but one of those too (assuming I can find a space in the freezer). I was feeling a bit miserable earlier, but making proper things to eat out of ingredients always cheers me up a bit
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 10th Jan 09, 12:29 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 36,731 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I have not got much left this month. First month and I HAVE FAILED!!!! Feel really bad about this. Must try harder next month. I WILL NOT GIVE UP
    I don't like the word failed. We are all trying to feed our families and ourselves on healthy cheap home made food. Some months we may not do as well as other people have, or even as well as we did on previous or future months, but none of us are failures.

Is there anyone here who passed their driving test after one lesson? It took me a lot of lessons and two goes at the driving test. I wasn't a failure, I was just a learner.

Sorry if I sound like a big dope, it's hard to put into words. Lets just keep reading and learning.....

Take care x
  • Steel

Noooooo. That's stinkin' thinkin' as Flylady would say (was it her?). Sit down and make a list of every single meal you could cook using everything you have in the house. Then make a list of everything you may need to buy before the end of the month. Then find ways to get it free or cheap or eek out what you have so you don't need to buy it.

Updating signature: went to Tesco to get hubby's eyes tested and bought a couple of foodie items (sure enough he needed reading glasses and we got them there, but only spent £30 for frames and lenses and he looked very sexy in them ).

Two big packets of rich tea biscuits 50p
    Dried milk 1.09

I'm going to mix up half a pint of milk with the dried and add it to half a pint of fresh and see if I can make it last a bit longer. I already add a pint of water to 5 pints of milk anyway to eek it out. The dried I bought should make up another 5 pints.

As everyone else keeps their pet food in their groceries, I'll do the same. Personally, I think hubby was angling for a higher sweetie ration anyway by suggesting taking it out.
    "carpe that diem"
  • Tracey.32
    Happy Saturday!

Updated signature. Went to Mr Ts last night and spent £21.53. Needed scourers, washing up liquid and stuff for lunches, but went online the night before to check out the offers. Got:

Cathedral City 400g/£2.00
    Lemon fish fingers 10/99p
    Pitta breads 2 packs/94p
    Honey Nut Shredded Wheat 92p
    McCoys 6 pack/£1

Going to have to get cat food in the week (I include that and litter in my grocery challenge) - but am going to have another go with an own brand. Haven't tried Aldi yet - does anyone know if they have pouches, or is it just tinned?

Hope everyone has a good weekend - the cold should keep some of us out of the shops at least!
    Grocery challenge: Jun£134.15/£120; Jul £60.90/£120
  • Changingme
    Think I'm going to try adding some water to my milk we seem to use loads,do you buy semi or full fat as want to know whether this makes a difference.
    Save £4500 in 2014
    • gailey
    • By gailey 10th Jan 09, 1:33 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    well considering we went shopping just yesterday we now

out of rice crispies daughters fave
    half loaf of bread left
    half the 4pink milk gone
    nearly out of coffee
    1lit squash got yesterday half gone!
    nearly out of cheese

its just neverending!
    hopefully thinsg will sell on ebay tonight so i can trasfer funds to paypal top up card to buy more foods.

so question if I had another £10

what shoudl i buy apart from
    cheeese
    rice krispies
    milk
    bread
    squash?
    coffee

I was thinking eggs

I think we can mage to thur as it will be tight.

today thourght about

veg curry for me and oh
    culi/broccoli cheese for daughter

sun
    we all have bangers and mash with frozen veg yorkies and gravy

tea-soup or chese on toast

mon

lunch
    supernoodles for me
    corned beef hash
    spagetti hoops on toast for daughter

dinner
    hubby
    frey bentos pie and chips
    me-pasta

tue

daughter in nursury so fed lunch and dinner there so just cereal for breckfast and toast for supper.
    oh-in work -tuna sadwichesa nd possibly cheapy crips/homemade biscuits.
    me supernoodles for luch

dinners me and oh-pasta

wed- ahh veggie burgets with chips
    or sausages with chips
    or egg and chips

for dinner

oh take sandwiches to work
    will have light snack lunch time for me and daughter of soup and homemade bread.

Am I mad

anything i can add would help

freezer nearly empty
    fridge nearly empty

only got poatoes and onions/garlic
    got tiny amount of frozen veg in freezer but freezer run right down

cupboard-still got chopepd tomatoes
    herbs and spices
    rice
    pasta
    naan
    spag hoops in tins
    tins of soup
    lentils

could try veg korma for daughter

I thourght after dec overspend we would have plenty left but sadly not.
    need to shop wiser on payday.need to keep to 200budget.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
    • dreamingofmoney
    • By dreamingofmoney 10th Jan 09, 2:05 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,761 Thanks
    dreamingofmoney
    Great words Cranky40,
    I have just been and done my big shop and spent £39.17, this included £2 on Mr A christmas saving card and for all those who have doggies who eat dry food, a 17kg bag of Wagg for £7 (bargain) so that will feed my 2 darling dogs for 2 months at least, bless em.
    Also bought some frozen veg, haven't got a Farmfoods close by but have got a Heron? about 4 miles away, will they be similar for frozen veg?
    Cheers
    Dreamer
    Paying back 1% at a time 85% of total debt paid off.
    No. 82 PAYDBX19 £7704.90/£13000 of debt paid from this years goal 59.3%
    Hfax loan, Bcard £938/£5852.06 16% Lloyd’s £451.52/£592.99 76.1%
    Debt free date Mar 2020.
  • kunekune
    Annoyed with OH. He took the children to the hairdressers and then they went to Sainsburys. We needed fruit juice and wine, and I suspected he'd buy them a small treat (son has to be bribed to get hair cut) but had mentioned earlier we had heaps of chocolate and should use that instead. What he came back with was:

4 cartons orange juice (not a cheap sort, but that's ok)
    2 bags of apples (why? I got apples this morning)
    3 bananas (ditto)
    cakes for himself and the children (but not me)
    a value pizza (their choice, presumably)
    fizzy drinks for both children

Total: 15.90

Myself, on the other hand, had a lovely storecupboard/fridge lunch of spaghetti, broccoli and crumbs (fried in olive oil with added anchovy, walnuts and some chilli powder). Yummmeeeee.

Now I need to get some work done (final final revisions on an article that's been in the peer review process since the summer and has cost me more weekends than I dare to count)
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 10th Jan 09, 2:14 PM
    • 9,919 Posts
    • 20,119 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Hi I managed to take back £8 thing that I thought was £2.50 so £8 can come off my spend total so that is good.
    Target DFD Mar 21 Nov 20 £38840 @ 13/7/19 £25,897@0%
    Target MFD July 2031 March 28 owe £145551 @13/7/19 £145,078 @1.7%
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 10th Jan 09, 2:20 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    I have been to a discount shop today. it buys up surplus supermarket stock and sells it at a reduced price

I have spent £78 which seems alot but I think I have all the main meals for almost a month a dozen tins of heinz soups 19p each
    lots of muller corners 20p each
    lots of nibbly stuff
    fruit
    fabric conditioner
    cat food ( not enough for a month though)
    huge jar of nescafe for £2.89!
    and I even got a large waitrose xmas pud for this xmas £1.59
    I am really pleased. just need to get some veg and bread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,524Posts Today

8,550Users online

Martin's Twitter