PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• candygirl wrote: »
    Been to ALDI n spent £6.55 on oranhe juice, mushrooms, marg, notebooks n energy drinks which taste a bit like lucozade;) just updating my siggy:D

I used to shop at Aldi but then I read in the newspaper that an independent survey had been completed of the top supermarkets (including Aldi and Netto) and it had actually been established that it is cheaper to shop at the usual supermarket but buy their own brand foods, rather than doing your shopping at Aldi. I had started to suspect this already as I'd noticed that some things were cheaper elsewhere, eg. the frozen yorkshire puddings (pack of 12) at Aldi were 55p but they were 44p for saver yorkshire puddings in Asda. :confused:

Did anyone else see this article?
    Lightbulb moment: -£9,954.31 Current Debt: £0

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
  • I should also save some money at the end of the month, as hubby is going abroad for the week, so i won't have to top up his coke addiction

Is this Coca Cola or am I being naiive? :o
    Lightbulb moment: -£9,954.31 Current Debt: £0

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Quick question for those of you who shop for your fruit and veg on the markets - whats the latest time you go to get the 'extras' that they put in (hopefully) when finishing up? Is 3pm too early?

What a great idea, now why have I never thought of visiting the markets late on a Saturday? I could tie this in with taking the kids window shopping and they'll think they've had a day out LOL

I've also been thinking that because my freezer is jam packed with meat, cheese and veg if I plan properly I could make what's in there last a couple of months especially if I add lots of lentils LOL I do however struggle for lunches, between one and three packed a day and one and three people at home for lunch any ideas would be gratefully received!
  • gillst_2
    gillst_2 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Hi - Is it too late to join this month? If not I would like to try at £200.00. That is for myself, DH, DS1 and DS2 (both DS's in their 20s but still living at home). Have already spent over £100 of that, but have a large stock of food now and hope to only have to do top ups, although I will need some more meat/fish.
  • sharronej wrote: »
    Week One 135.00 but should only need potatoes and bread for rest of month
    If you have somewhere cool to store them, Aldi still has the 2.5kg bags of maris piper potatoes for 39 pence. I grabbed a couple bags this morning before they change the monthly super 6 veg deal.
    Take the first step.
    Even if you cannot see the whole staircase,
    Just take the first step.
    ~MLK, Jr~
  • I realize already that I've under budgeted my grocery costs for the month. Had my store cupboard been filled, it would have been no problem. With having to restock that and buy other foods, I'm not going to make the challenge. Going to do my best to get as close to it as possible.

That's ok tho, it's a learning process. A hundred pounds for a 6 week month may have been a bit of wishful thinking (praying) on my part. :rotfl: One good part is I'm saving every single receipt and that will help me in the future comparing costs and finding ways to cut back.
    Take the first step.
    ~MLK, Jr~
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you have somewhere cool to store them, Aldi still has the 2.5kg bags of maris piper potatoes for 39 pence. I grabbed a couple bags this morning before they change the monthly super 6 veg deal.

Thanks, I was thinking of going to Mr M tomorrow to buy a sack I think that they are about five pounds but I suspect Aldi may work out cheaper. The only problem is that the nearest Aldi is about twice as far away as Mr M's and I never know how to judge the petrol used in the journey.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The closest market to me seems to start knocking their prices down closer to 4pm -- but if they've anything left the best deals are after 4:30pm. I've been known to wander around just after 4, refuse to be pulled in to buying anything at that point, and then reappear a half hour later. Don't often get anywhere with any further haggling though -- though I did once manage a good one on chicken portions 10 minutes before closing ;)
    Cheryl
  • sharronej wrote: »
    Thanks, I was thinking of going to Mr M tomorrow to buy a sack I think that they are about five pounds but I suspect Aldi may work out cheaper. The only problem is that the nearest Aldi is about twice as far away as Mr M's and I never know how to judge the petrol used in the journey.
    That's a toss up for sure. If you have something else to do in the area that Aldi's in and you can combine them in one trip, it would probably work out a bit cheaper. If not, Mr. M's that's close by may be your better alternative.

It's just the opposite for me. Aldi is 1/2 mile away and Mr. M's is 2 miles away. I always walk to Aldi's but it's a bit too cold for the walk to Mr. M's now so I'd have to factor in bus fare.
    Take the first step.
    ~MLK, Jr~
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    sharronej wrote: »
    I'm not sure if A!di change the offers on a Sunday or Monday -- but they're due to change this weekend.......

I grabbed a couple of bags of spuds and a bag of carrots for my DD this morning (having grabbed one of each for me yesterday!)
    Cheryl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport