Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 08, 12:15 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 08, 12:15 PM
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 08 at 12:15 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2009.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2008 at 1:18 PM.
Page 107
  • Lucylocket01
    Quick update I have managed to get the shopping down to 34 for last week and again 34 this week.
    I have been meal planning every day which has helped loads.
    I have down graded brands on nearly everything.
    I have changed to Asda (I was Tesco before).
    Thanks for all the helpful hints.
  • HH62
    That's brilliant!
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 6th Feb 09, 1:56 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Great news, Well done.
  • floss2
    Try this: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=697339&highlight=sammy+kaye

Also, try www.mysupermarket.com as a way of price checking which supermarket is better value for your shop - you can also "send" your shopping basket to that supermarket to deliver from the site too so you don't have to enter it all again
    Last edited by floss2; 06-02-2009 at 2:00 PM.
  • skint,single mum of 4
    Know how u feel
    Quick update I have managed to get the shopping down to 34 for last week and again 34 this week.
    Originally posted by Lucylocket01
    You've done really well,it took me ages to try and get my food bill down,every week it went over !

My kids are aged 12-21 so its like having 5 adults in the house. i'm trying to aim for 50 aweek then try and reduce it further.ive got loads of tips off this site.

The kids are just getting use to it,i was sick off the"theres never anything to eat in this house !"
    what they mean is..theres no crisps.kitcats,coke etc etc

Now i do soup when they come home from school or they will make a sandwich.ive even started baking !

It does get u down but it soon becomes away of life ! x
  • Reverbe
    well done
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • paigexstewart
    Online shopping list
    We do an online shopping list. That way you can keep on eye on it.

We chop for two and spend around 150 a week although we are tryng to cut down too!! So your doing fine really.

Maybe buy in bulk and freeze alot of things?

My boyfriend is a property developer so I know what you mean about the trade, but luckily we havn't ben affected yet. Try a site called MYHAMMER where some people who want work put their job online and different tradesmen offer he best quote. HTH hun. x
    This year is my year 2009
    • EstherH
    • By EstherH 6th Feb 09, 3:38 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 10,268 Thanks
    EstherH
    Well done Lucy you've done really well.
    I don't know how much I spend a week (it varies) but since last year when everything started to go up so much I have been making a big effort to cut down on what I spend.
    I have found loads of useful tips on here.
    There is one called feeding a family of four for 20 month (I think). I learned to add lentils and oats to bolognaise etc from that. Also do a search for rubber chicken - loads of ideas there. For biscuits try making Twinks hobnobs. I made them for the first time this week and they are delicious and really easy and quick to make.

Do you have a slowcooker and a breadmaker? The initial outlay can be offputting but I have found that they pay for themselves and really help with making life and budgeting easier.

Keep us uptodate with how you're doing.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 6th Feb 09, 4:18 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Originally posted by Lucylocket01
    Well done! I'll add this to the January Grocery Challenge. For anyone else wanting to join in the challenge of keeping their grocery bills to a level they can afford, February's challenge is a sticky at the top of page 1

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • Lucylocket01
    Thanks Penny,

No I dont have a slow cooker or bread maker. I was really pleased with the amount I've spent this last couple of wks.
    I bought smart price shampoo and conditioner 12p and 25p. I have to say I thought they were okay. I do have short hair cut every 6wks so its in very good condition anyway so I really dont think theres any need for expensive stuff. dd and dh have decent stuff but thats cos he has dandruff and dd has long hair.

I also bought packed of 6 scones for 32p - Very nice indeed.
    Yoghurts 6 pack 43p - Very nice

I've bought more smart price stuff and when I've tried them I will post back and let you know my thoughts.
    • pixiechick99
    • By pixiechick99 6th Feb 09, 10:25 PM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 15,477 Thanks
    pixiechick99
    Hi there,
    Sorry forgot to post January's result....(prob 'cos it was rubbish 0...Here goes....247.17 (out of 200:rolleyes: )
    Oooooops....trying harder for Feb - mind you I tried hard in jan, it just went wrong somewhere!!
    June NSDs - 0/15
    June Groceries 0/200
    DFW Nerd #1135
    • EstherH
    • By EstherH 7th Feb 09, 3:17 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 10,268 Thanks
    EstherH
    Hi, I posted on the thread that Lucylocket started which was moved to here, but does this keep going. Not sure how it works as we are now if Feb. I want to keep up with how Lucys doing, which is really well so far.
  • rosieben
    Hi Esther, the February thread is here

you can check on LucyLocket's posts by left clicking on her user name
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • booklover
    • By booklover 7th Feb 09, 4:45 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    booklover
    Hello everyone

I came in at 231.70 for January which was quite bad as I had aimed for 175. In fairness I had my son staying with us for a week and we have also bought lots of things which means next month's should hopefully be a lot less!

Thanks to everyone for your brilliant support and tips.

I haven't been on much recently as I started new job with very long hours...

Fiona

Ps. 2 adults, 1 teenager, all household food and, cleaning things
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

2,286Users online

Martin's Twitter