PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• I'd like to join please as I need to cut back because I want to finish off my new kitchen which has had to be postponed because of spending a year on the sick. Also I need to cut back and be less wasteful. Because of other commitments/health issues I won't be able to really start freezing meals etc till middle of October but thought I'd try & start by eating all that is in my cupboards and freezer. I want to try & spend £20 a week. I've started a spending diary yesterday, so fingers crossed here I go.
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Folks,

Well I was back at Asda again today for cereal and fruit shoots for DS packed lunches, ended up spending £12.50!!!!!

Jackie
  • I am proud to say that my expensive beef joint fed four BIG eaters on the night, two big eaters last night and we have enough left to have for dinner tonight with a baked potato and green beans from FILs garden. So I don't feel so bad buying it now.

Haven't managed a NSD yet, the OH keeps coming home with extras we 'need'. Ok, I guess we do need milk when we run out but fruit juice from lidls might be cheap but we CAN live without it. He IS on board with all the budgeting but I just don't think he has quite thought it through!! Bless him!

Hope you all have a good day

hugs to all

Diva.x

P.S. Angel - I have a spending diary too - every evening I get the days receipts from the OH and write it in so I don't forget anything! It really helps
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • I also keep a spending diary... one online for groceries at www.spendingdiary.com and then a little pocket one in my handbag for my personal spending (ie: chocolate / cinema / pub etc).

Wondering if anyone has recommendations re the cheapest (but still nice) porridge? I have access to Sainsburys, Somerfield, Tesco.

Just finished reading Tightwad Gazette II, very good and funny too, recommend the series of her books to anyone who has not read them, and in fact have added them to my blog. Even though she's in the US and it was a few years ago, lots of the articles make you think.

Many thanks
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I bought some Victoria Plums at a car boot sale at the weekend and along with foraged Blackberries have made 8 jars of plum and 6 jars of blackberry jam.

DH only really likes Plum jam and I like the blackberry, so that will be money saved.

Total cost for the 14 jars was Approx £5 including the elctricity, so 35p per jar.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there Scotsaver and Shelbel....

thankyou for putting me out of my mysery :rotfl: I have over 85 cook books, went to catering college for 2 years to qualify as a chef and have made mincemeat for yonks... but have NEVER heard of doing that :confused: ...so thankyou for teaching me something new ..i will sleep tonight now, otherwise i would have been awake all night "pondering" :o how sad am I :o

MRSMC - hope you slept well last night after the mystery was solved!! LOL:rotfl: 85 Cookbooks - that's some serious addiction, I thought I was bad with 60 at the last count!! LOL:rotfl:

Off now to catch up with all the other pages.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• jediteacher
    jediteacher Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Back to school yesterday (I'm a teacher) but off again today as my little girl is sick. Took her to the childminders in the morning and when I went to pick her up she was really ratty. When my husband came home she threw up all over him and had a high temperature. The head wasn't pleased as it's only the 2nd day back and I'm not in. :mad: He's not very understanding even though he has a child himself and when she's ill he either brings her into school or works from home. Talk about double standards. :mad:

On top of all this my childminder said she was raising her prices by 50p an hour which means I have to find an extra £15 a week. :eek: I know she has to make a living as well but we haven't got an extra 50p a week let alone £15. :rolleyes: I could really rant about the lack of help and support we get as a family that works just above the national level of financial help - we're poorer than my sister who gets funded for everything! Anyway - here's not the place to start so vent over.

On a more positive note I've had 2 NSDs in a row which I'm pleased about. Got our monthly shop in through waitrose just in time to use their £15 off 1st shop and it came out cheaper than Tesco!

No idea what happened in August so will start afresh this month.

Good luck everyone and hugs to all. :A
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • just about scrapped in on budget this week, which has pleased me :T .

kids back at school now so must remember to budget their daily allowance into my spending.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Just updated my sig. Have had big bout of flu so lots of no spend days but managed to drag myself out to Asda and bought lunch and some bits for the freezer. Hope everyone is keeping well, cough cough. _pale_
    It's up to me now and nobody else.
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi all

Haven't been online for the last couple of days as I was setting up our new computer system (been in its box for approx 6 weeks!). After a lot of struggling I think I am nearly there (only 3 phone calls to the shop lol) but wanted to post in case you get cauhgt out like me with Mr A's coupons. We bought a couple of copies of the NOTW last Sunday in order to get the free Birds Eye meals (pkt 10 omega fishfingers, potato waffles & peas). Thought they woukld be OK for the odd meal when in a rush & also at £1.90p for the papers not a bad deal. However - got to Mr A's & they had nothing left, (mid afternoon) according to the checkout person they 'had had a lot in, but it had all gone' and 'they weren't allowed to give anything else other than what is on the coupon'. Also, no rain-check vouchers for these kind of offers - so all in all a wasted journey & a waste of £1.90 to boot.grrrrrr won't do that one again in a hurry......
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure