PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    SFT - congrats on the wedding plans. No way do you need to spend a lot of money. It's what is between you and your OH that counts. :happyhear

Sian - Although it sounds schmoozy, I can't think of anything material I couldn't live without if I had to. I value family and friends and this beautiful world in which we live beyond anything else. Yes, doing without some things; like the car as we don't live withing walking distance of many facilities and a back problem prevents me from walking far or carrying much at the present; but I'm sure I could cope.

Enough of philosophising!!!!!

My neighbour gave me some windfall apples a couple of days ago so I've been busy chopping out the yuckie bits and cooking them so that I can prepare some apple crumbles for the freezer. Only problem is there is so little space in the freezer - we're eating the contents as fast as we can!!!!!!
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Have you had the urge to clean the oven yet :eek: Maybe he's coming early ;)

When I got to 38 weeks and told my midwife that I didnt wan to be induced and wanted to wait till DS was ready to come out, all the docs at JPH kept offering me c-sec :rolleyes: Maybe you should tell them youre gonna x your legs that way they'll let you have one? I ended up having one anyway after being 21 days over and being in labour for 30hrs!

Not long to go now. Let me know if you need any help with anything. My DS is 22months so he's close to your DDs age. Good luck.

Nikki xx

I'm now about to do the cooker LOL. When I went to JPH last week saw a male not my normal one I wouldn't mind but he was leaving the next day to work at N&N. He said the the first c section was my own fault as I asked to be induced after spending a week in hospital also had a rash on arms and legs. I was only 36 1/2 weeks. They also haven't bothered getting my notes from the hospital in Staffordshire I don't like JP. I'm hoping it will come early and a natural birth.
    Right better get on with cooker
    GC July £250/
  • SAV3R
    SAV3R Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Shop for August, Mr T delivery last night, reviewed the menu plan from last month so stocked up on quite a few things. Found a code for £12 off £80 spend so thought i'd better try and use it. Shampoo and shower gels we use on offer, stocked up ready for hols at end of month. Hopefully enough meat in freezer to last for the month.

Off to put choc buttercream on cake made this morning for OH birthday. I was asleep when he went to work so need to impress him. Doesn't take much to cheer a man up eh?, nice slice of choc cake. LOL
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Kaz2904 wrote: »
    Definately do the point chasing thing. Do you shop online and use extra points codes? Would it work to buy vouchers from ebay? I know some people sell them on. Alternatively could you stick up a round robin email at work offering to buy any clubcard points that people don't want?
    NSD for me today. Kids are out for a tea with grandma later. My sis is coming over in a mo with my nephew so we'll have lunch but I have stuff in for that.
    I'm horrified, DH went out yesterday and got 4 films costing £10.98. I told him I was going to get rid of sky as it obviously has nothing to watch. His answer was that he's not got films for ages (2 weeks tops) but he won't even consider going online to order them- I keep trying to persuade him to do this. It's such a waste of money when you can get these things cheaper elsewhere. Any ideas? I feel that I'm never going to manage to come in on or under budget when he seems to try and scupper my plans at every turn. Sorry, having a real grr moment!
    This might have been mentioned but could you/he join one of those online dvd clubs which lets you have so many at any one time and it is all done through the post, keep as long as needed and return when finished watching then they will send out next batch.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • Good luck Chelltune!!

Turbo5019-Hope you get your c-sect sorted out. My fingers are crossed.

Mrs Mc-What a lovely wedding you had. Can't put a price on memories like that..shows how much your family love you.

Angelnikki-We've booked a venue for the service which is surrounded by a beautiful park so a Wedding Picnic would be perfect and so us!! Thank you for that brilliant idea. Will discuss with OB when he gets home from work.

Thanks Guys..If we go ahead with the picnic I'll be bothering you with catering ideas next.

SFT xxxxxxxxx
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks turbo5019, I am booked in because my first child had shoulder dystocia which basically means he got stuck. They don't seem to know for sure why it happens so they recommend a c-sec for future births. I had an elective section with DD too.

I've just mixed up the herby bread mixture, need to wait for a sponge cake to come out of the oven so I can bake it. I'm doing a sandwich cake to use up some of that blinkin runny jam that I made. :rolleyes:

I'm out of eggs now so no more baking of anything that involves eggs till next week. I will be good and ntot shop unless necessary! :money:
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • wendywitch
    wendywitch Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    chelltune wrote: »

Edit: sorry, another question! Dh brough home a pile of various chillis that were given to him by a customer. Not many will be used as I can't eat them while breastfeeding and the children only have a tiny amount. How do I dry them so they aren't wasted?

You can freeze them. My dad grew tons last year, so many that my mum and I both had loads and had to freeze them.
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Martin is on the telly as I type :heartpuls
    Is he single?

:money: I think he's marrying the weather girl, Lara Lewington. Does shortening Lewington to Lewis mean he's even frugalising her surname? :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • princess_leia_3
    princess_leia_3 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    Back after failing miserably in July :(
    But I am off to read the recipe index :eek: (yes the whole thing LOL) and to start tonight we are just about to make Mrs M's tortillas for fajitas so let that be the start of a good month to come :D
    I am going to aim for £250 including baby nappies etc as £200 was mission impossible!

I am also going to count my NSD days and then try to beat it the next month :)
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    MRSMC
    What page number is the choclate brownie receipe posted on:(
    I have been going through the pages and cant find it........and since i read it all i have wanted to do is make it!!! I love choclate brownies:)
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business