Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 12:44 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 12:44 PM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 12:44 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 64
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 8th Jul 08, 11:18 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    I blame bio fuels. Plus its our fault because we waste too much food according to Gordon

Get real

ym
    Originally posted by yellowmonkey
    Now don't get me started on that... what a cheek! If he didn't tax us to the hilt.... Ooooh, as I said, don't get me started....
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • jackk
    Just updating sig, after dashing out for six bottles of wine at tescos, before the 25% off ends at midnight .

sub total = £28.74

Multi buy savings
    Wine 3 for £10 = -£8.74
    Wine discount = -£7.19

Total to pay = £12.81

Jackie x
  • gillaman
    Spend update - £4.92 in Asda. Went in for pens, flour, milk and peas. Came out with these plus Sunnybix (for cake) and frozen peas when I remembered I hadn't got any. Don't eat any processed cereals but they have a May 09 sell by. Will try the cake now and then let my grandson make it and the brownies when he comes to stay in the hols. Had to buy the flour because I found a creepy in the pack I bought only last week. Does anyone know of a cheap clip top/airtight range of storage boxes? Also someone (can't remember who and can't find the post) was asking about borax. I looked for some in Boots today but couldn't find any. I'm trying out soapnuts (cheapest I've found is £3.99 for 250g from stopforbreath website, no delivery charge) as I'm trying to go chemical free as far as possible and I've heard borax will soften the wash. Interested to hear about vinegar - might try that as well. Have used bicarb in the wash - seems to help with stains.
  • Sian the Green
    I have built a 7 storey pyramid of supercook sprinkles and oddments...
    It looks good
    Last edited by Sian the Green; 09-07-2008 at 12:22 AM.
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • hev
    Parsnips - probably not properly OS but I'm still learning...

Today I diced some potato and cut parsnip and carrots into chunks. I put them in a basin with a dollop (scientific term) of cooking oil and a large dash of cajun spices and stirred them round really well so that all the chunks were coated. Put them in a hot oven for around 40 mins - very yummy indeed! No idea how to put it like a proper recipe - just went by rule of thumb and eye.

On week one of my meal plans for this week I didn't manage to get a single meal cooked according to plan.

So far this week...

Sat - meal plan said a treat from my shopping trip, but felt like death so didn't go out so raided the freezer and store cupboard.
    Sun - meal plan said roast meat but due to not doing meals on last weeks menu plan I needed to use up veggies so we had ratatouille.
    Mon - Had the roast meat that we were going to have Sunday.
    Tues - had the cold meat and home made 'wedge type thing' that I should have had yesterday with frozen peas.

Now, if we are following the meal plan but one day shuffled on, then tomorrow should be fish cakes and oven chips. However there is so much meat left over that it would be criminal to just use it as a sandwich (plus I couldn't eat that much meat by myself). But I don't want to just do oven chips because that's almost the same as tonight. Unless something dreadful happens my plan is to chop ham small and mix with mushroom (from freezer, after last week's chaos), onion and condensed mushroom soup and put mashed potato on top like a shepherd's pie.

My track record on this isn't good, though. Added to this, Thursday is down as a stir fry but I didn't get out at the weekend to get the fresh veggies, but I do have loads of peppers. If Thursday was one day shuffled on then it would be a chilli, so I may try stuffed peppers. That is the most adventurous I have been for years, so I shall see. Whatever happens I do not want to buy anything more. I don't think I will be able to bring in the challenge this month, but there is such a thing as going down fighting!
    Always another chapter

• angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 9th Jul 08, 12:12 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    I have built a 7 storey tower of supercook sprinkles and oddments...
    It looks good
    Originally posted by Sian the Green
    Thats not fair Did you actually need to get 7? I cant just go to the shop and stock up on stuff when they are on offer as I have ME so I have to rely on waiting and getting all I need from my MrT delivery that I have once a week. If stuff is out of stock then I have to go without. By the time my delivery came tonight everyone had already cleared the shelves of most of the supercook stuff and I only got 1x sugar flowers and 1x sugar strands.

With cake decorations its not a big deal but this happened a couple of months ago when there was a panic that the price of bread flour was gonna go up (which it didnt) so everyone cleared the shelves in the supermarkets and I got none for 2 months!!

Please be responsible when you shop and leave things for other people too! I cant go round all the supermarkets to find what I need and have to go without a lot because stocks have been cleared of things unnecessarily [/rant]
    • roxy7699
    • By roxy7699 9th Jul 08, 12:24 AM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 8,964 Thanks
    roxy7699

My track record on this isn't good, though. Added to this, Thursday is down as a stir fry but I didn't get out at the weekend to get the fresh veggies, but I do have loads of peppers. If Thursday was one day shuffled on then it would be a chilli, so I may try stuffed peppers. That is the most adventurous I have been for years, so I shall see. Whatever happens I do not want to buy anything more. I don't think I will be able to bring in the challenge this month, but there is such a thing as going down fighting!
    Originally posted by hev
    BUT, you didnt buy anything new and you didnt get a takeaway so in my eyes you did good.
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 9th Jul 08, 12:29 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    Spend update - £4.92 in Asda. Went in for pens, flour, milk and peas. Came out with these plus Sunnybix (for cake) and frozen peas when I remembered I hadn't got any. Don't eat any processed cereals but they have a May 09 sell by. Will try the cake now and then let my grandson make it and the brownies when he comes to stay in the hols. Had to buy the flour because I found a creepy in the pack I bought only last week. Does anyone know of a cheap clip top/airtight range of storage boxes? Also someone (can't remember who and can't find the post) was asking about borax. I looked for some in Boots today but couldn't find any. I'm trying out soapnuts (cheapest I've found is £3.99 for 250g from stopforbreath website, no delivery charge) as I'm trying to go chemical free as far as possible and I've heard borax will soften the wash. Interested to hear about vinegar - might try that as well. Have used bicarb in the wash - seems to help with stains.
    Originally posted by gillaman
    hi,just thought id say...my dad is very green bless him and he bought some soapnuts but didnt rate them highly im afraid so if you find them ok id be interested to hear,im using a combo of washing gloop and bold! (already had a huge catering size box when i joined this thread )
    anyway,best of luck.thanks for the tip on bicarb,i use vinegar,it really does soften the washing,stopped using it on the towels though as i like them a little bit crunchy IYKWIM? x
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300spends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,
  • catnap53
    Just waiting for my first Artisan bread to cool properly then I can go to bed. Went out to check and cut a huge chunk and had that with butter and apricot jam, needed to see if it really was going to be good for breakfast.

If I can resist it I am going to put it away now, or there will be none left.

Made Twinks earlier too, put ground ginger in half for DD, she said it wasn't very strong, but I thought it was OK.

Another NSD to add for today.

Goodnight to anyone still awake.

Zzzzz

• hev
    BUT, you didnt buy anything new and you didnt get a takeaway so in my eyes you did good.
    Originally posted by roxy7699
    Bless you - I read stuff on here - like Weezl's threads - and I feel such a rookie. I tell you, there is no way I am spending any more than I have to on food this month! Coming on here to confess keeps me strong and the people on here are such a good example - there are some really lovely people on this board.
    Always another chapter

• zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 9th Jul 08, 12:36 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    sorry if this is a daft Q...but what is artisan bread? my ds(15) looked on net earlier but said he couldnt find a recipe just pictures,ive meant to look myself but baby brain syndrome allowed me to forget (do the brain cells ever return after giving birth??: ) so...al you lovely,helpful peoples out there,could you please let me know what it is,thanks soooo much.x
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300spends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,
  • Sian the Green
    Sorry to have offended you Angelnikki, I can totally see what you mean.

I'm not sure anyone in my little Tesco even noticed there was a good offer on; there were as many Supercook things on the shelves as ever. There is no notification of the price being 'special', only normal labels with lower prices, I think it is just rebranding of the company to Dr Oetker.
    I don't make a habit of stocking up on offers as I don't have anywhere to put anything but I bake cakes and buns for about 10 friends every Sunday and so I got a mixture of stuff, baking cases, peppermint flavouring, hundreds and thousands as this is frivolous stuff for me and I wouldn't normally buy it...

I do know what you mean though and I will be more careful. I would also be more than happy to share the love if you wouldn't mind a rather rattly parcel arriving with you!
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 9th Jul 08, 12:40 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    Bless you - I read stuff on here - like Weezl's threads - and I feel such a rookie. I tell you, there is no way I am spending any more than I have to on food this month! Coming on here to confess keeps me strong and the people on here are such a good example - there are some really lovely people on this board.
    Originally posted by hev
    here here! this is such a great place to be isnt it?!! ive never met such a community type bunch in my life,i just wish every day life was like this,it really is old style eh! x
  • hev
    Borax - Just a thought - for a giggle I looked, and yes, you can buy borax on ebay - item no
    380038720549for £1.40 plus £1.75 p&p
    Or try www.dri-pak.co.uk who will supply you with six boxes of 300g for £12.50 (inc VAT & p&p)
    Or try Wilkinsons, it's surprising what you can get there.

Good luck.
    Always another chapter

• catnap53
    sorry if this is a daft Q...but what is artisan bread? my ds(15) looked on net earlier but said he couldnt find a recipe just pictures,ive meant to look myself but baby brain syndrome allowed me to forget (do the brain cells ever return after giving birth??: ) so...al you lovely,helpful peoples out there,could you please let me know what it is,thanks soooo much.x
    Originally posted by zoe260373
    See this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1001965

Yes the brain cells do recover, just in time for the senility to start.

Zzzzz

• Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 9th Jul 08, 12:45 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Where have all the people gone, can't sleep so on the choc, opps
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 9th Jul 08, 12:56 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    Where have all the people gone, can't sleep so on the choc, opps
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    tut tut....i wouldnt dream of turning to choc...hhmmm much,:rolleyes:
    im having another cuppa,and risk drowning myself in tea hate not being able to sleep,especially when LO is out cold(for a change)x
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 9th Jul 08, 12:58 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    See this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1001965

Yes the brain cells do recover, just in time for the senility to start.

Zzzzz
    Originally posted by catnap53
    awww bless ya, been dying to know,daft mare i am,should have asked before thanks flower.x
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 9th Jul 08, 1:17 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    guess everyone gone to bed now so will get my book and do the same methinks,although i cant wait to have a go at the artisan bread,thanks hev for that link,i also cant wait to have a play with my new kenwood wonder thingy that oh bought for me as a surprise,im sooo chuffed never thought id see the day that i would be so excited over a food processor:confused: what have you guys done to me? its all good though and i have to admit,im starting to feel the benefit of eating fresh,unprocessed foods,speak to you all tomorrow, eerrmmm in a few hours rather nighty night.x
  • savingfortravel
    Hi everyone!
    Bit grey today. Hope it doesn't rain.
    Have a great MS day evreyone!!
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

11Posts Today

4,104Users online

Martin's Twitter