Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 12:44 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 12:44 PM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 12:44 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 63
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 8th Jul 08, 10:08 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,880 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good evening

thanks for the hug roxy7699 I needed that
    well the bonekickers was not as good as I thought it would be so now I'm watching CSI while I have my coffee and twink

will have to put the car away as well so will sign off now and hope to talk to you soon

take care of yourselves

by the way whats all this about baby milk
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 8th Jul 08, 10:18 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    Help needed!
    Did my weekly shop today. Very impressed as I got the amount down to £39.98 from £59.87. Would have been £10 less but I took advantage of the 25% extra in Huggies and I had an extra points coupon that needed using. I did use MOC but it was all above board. Still want to bring it down more but not sure yet where to squeeze the money from as I already get value stuff when I can and don't buy any expensive brands.

Anyway, my question is how do you roast fresh parsnips? I've only ever cooked frozen ones but they're soo expensive and Mr T has stopped doing own brand in my store so I decided to get fresh ones but have no idea how to roast them properly. Any help would be much appreciated.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 8th Jul 08, 10:31 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    When I roast parsnips I pre boil them first just till their not hard. Then I put them in the roasting dish normally with the meat. Then cook till golden brown. If you have too many to use I just slice them and put them straight in the freezer.
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £48828.05/£46842.89/-£1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
    • scaredy cat
    • By scaredy cat 8th Jul 08, 10:32 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    scaredy cat
    i always roast parsnips like potatoes - par boil then roast in oven with some oil. But if they are cut too small not so good. Know there must be another way as not like in restaurants so will be interested to know!

night all - just watched this weeks brothers and sisters so feeling all sad and warm!!
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 8th Jul 08, 10:38 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    When I roast parsnips I pre boil them first just till their not hard. Then I put them in the roasting dish normally with the meat. Then cook till golden brown. If you have too many to use I just slice them and put them straight in the freezer.
    Originally posted by Mrs Money Penny
    Thanks for that. I'm sure this is pretty obvious but do you put any oil or butter on the parsnips when you put them in the oven? Also do you put the parsnips in the freezer after you have boiled them or after roasting?

Sorry, I'm just learning to cook properly - you'd think after 33 years I could do the basics!!! :rolleyes:
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 8th Jul 08, 10:38 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    Fish Pie

Fish of your choice I use a mix of cod and salmon
    Potatoes, peeled & cubed
    Peas
    Butter/marge
    Flour
    Milk
    Grated cheese
    Boiled eggs, quartered (optional)
    Originally posted by angelnikki

Just seen somebody cooking fish pie on TV,can't think who,but he cut the fish (raw,white fish and salmon)in chunks with prawns.Put in layer in shallow dish,layered cooked baby leeks,quartered h.boiled eggs,grated chese then soft mashed spuds,cooked in hot oven for 20 min or so.Looked good and saved faffing with white sauce(which is sometimes a chore for me!)
    Baby leeks a bit OTT,so steam old ones!!
    DH said nom nom,and he's not struck on pie.

Taking me ages to catch up,wait for me please.

Long wet w/e 2 days fund raising-made lots of lovely monies tho'.
    Had me car towed out of a field
    J
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 8th Jul 08, 10:39 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    i always roast parsnips like potatoes - par boil then roast in oven with some oil. But if they are cut too small not so good. Know there must be another way as not like in restaurants so will be interested to know!

night all - just watched this weeks brothers and sisters so feeling all sad and warm!!
    Originally posted by scaredy cat
    Thanks. Sorry don't know how to double quote yet - will learn.
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 8th Jul 08, 10:41 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 35,880 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good evening all

by the way jediteacher I just throw parsnips in raw no par boiling and they always turn out just right ;; crispy,, yum yum
    its too much trubble to par boil

off to bed now talk soon ,,
    take care of yourselves

night night
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 8th Jul 08, 10:43 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    hugs Kaat lady.

I have a question for those in the know....

How long does skimmed milk powder keep past the use by date.
    I just found some in my cupboard that expired in feb and would like to know if I should just chuck it out or if I can use it up.
    Originally posted by roxy7699
    hiya,i think id still use it to be honest,its full of preservatives so should be fine,well...id take the chance if it were me,your call of course though,hth.x
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300spends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,
    • chocolateteddy
    • By chocolateteddy 8th Jul 08, 10:43 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 3,197 Thanks
    chocolateteddy
    For anyone copying recipes and stuff: I copy and paste mine all onto one word document, but it is now 36 pages long and I can never find anything, so this is what I do now:
    1. Highlight the heading of the recipe (ie: twinks Hobnobs)
    2. Click on 'insert' at the top of the page (usually next to 'file' & 'edit')
    3. then click on 'bookmark'
    4. type in the name you want for the bookmark (you can't put any spaces in this - ie: 'twinkshobnobs') and click 'add'
    5. do this for all your recipes
    6. then at the top of the page, make a list of all the recipes you have just bookmarked
    7. highlight each one individually (our example again is 'twinks hobnobs'), click on insert again and then click 'hyperlink'
    8. click on the 'bookmark' button (usually on the right hand side)
    9. and there are all your bookmarks you did, click on the one you want to go to (which would obviously be 'twinkshobnobs' in this example) and click OK
    10. then you have a list at the top, which when you click on the recipe title you want, it will take you down to the page it is on (even if there are 36 pages)!
    You can even sort these into alphabetical order if it helps.

This sounds complicated, but it really isn't - best thing to do is just try it if you're not sure.

Hope that helps someone
    Originally posted by denisefowler
    Thanks alot I have 37 pages in a word document and am having trouble finding what I want even though they are sorted into basics first, main courses and then desserts so just had a go with your instructions and ........it worked it may take some time to do them all but as I add new recipes and bookmark them as I go along should be easier Isn't it amazing what you can do with computers!!
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

Slimming World Target - Lose 60 lbs
    Journey started 14th Nov 2016
    Weight loss to date 27 lbs
    • jediteacher
    • By jediteacher 8th Jul 08, 10:44 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 9,719 Thanks
    jediteacher
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm off to bed now - you guys are soo informative. I will learn to cook!
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 8th Jul 08, 10:49 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Well just finished with mr & mrs and everyone's off to bed, so goodnight to all who are off and hello to those who arn't haha
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 8th Jul 08, 10:49 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Good idea jackk

this is what I was talking to DH about yesterday but I have to find a folder we have a lot of plastic wallets but dont think we have any folders but I am not looking for one at the moment as he has all the floors up and taking the walls down so I may leave it for a while
    Originally posted by KAAT_LADY
    Brilliant idea Jackk, I really like that, but at least with all the leftovers on my laptop I have a snack for when I'm on MSE...

Kaat_Lady - I have to ask, why are you taking all your floors up and the walls down?????:confused:
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 8th Jul 08, 10:53 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    Originally Posted by dink1
    Hi GUys,

Feelin under weather today, MIL coming this morning and she is always so critical. I keep saying I dont care but I guess I do. I tripped this morning and looks like I've given myself a blackeye and then its pouring with rain so I cant even excape from MIL with a walk!!!!!

Oh well hope every one is ok, HUGS TO LE FOOT pleased you are a little better.

DInk1

Hi Dink! Hope your MIL wasn't too bad? As someone with a critical MIL I know how it can be! I was never good enough for OH in the beginning (together 16 yrs) but luckily he was very supportive. Over the years I've found that reason MIL was so critical is that she's also afraid of not living up to 'the Jones' herself. As a result I am a bit more patient with her and actually get on better with her.

BM
    Originally posted by BabyMother
    I had always found MIL quite difficult and critical of the way I did things,like bringing up the children until 1 day out of the blue she said how proud she was of them all and what a good job I had done!!
    That was after DH(only child) and I had been married for about 20 years(37 this year),things seemed much better after that,and we became good friends.She died in May after 6 years in local nursing home,and I do miss her,she had quite a wicked sense of humour.

J
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • smetf
    Evening everyone
    Just a quick pop in before bed to update sig and catch up on posts.

Mrs Mc thinking of you and your family at this sad time

Made lazy pizzas, twinks and muffins today so good baking day!! I did the strawberry muffins but used sad apricots and leftover mango- they were a bit flat- would SR flour have helped?

Have been just beginning to eat stuff that have double cooked and it's great! Feels like free food (as I have stretched out the mince) and no work- spag bol for tomorrow in fridge defrosting

For first time in don't know how long am not doing a big shop this week (Mr T online) and feel a bit nervous, got a list for Mr A tomorrow morning so will see if only buying essentials is cheaper. Need a cheaper week to make up for last weekend!!

Best wishes to all for a peaceful night

Smetf

• tq16
    In the process of moving home, so not getting chance to check in much. Thanks to those who suggested adding oatbran to bread-sorry not to name check you. Do I just add to a normal loaf receipe?
    MrsMC just heard your news, you are in my prayers. sending huge hugs to you and your family our thoughts are with you. x
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
    • galadriel
    • By galadriel 8th Jul 08, 11:00 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    galadriel
    Hi all, just popped on to update my signature. I had a delivery from Tesco earlier this evening - total £73.13 after taking off a £9 voucher code I found on the voucher/discount forum. I had to try loads of codes before I could find one that worked.

Managed to get some of the supercook cake decorations that were on offer, just at the right time as I have to bake loads of buns this weekend for DGDs birthday party. Also Weetabix is on offer at 2 for £2 - works out cheaper than Tescos own brand. Rice is still an extortionate price, I don't suppose it will come back down, although brown rice is still only 89p for 1kg, value white rice is 95p. Just have to hope my son won't notice the colour with plenty of curry poured over it.

• mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 8th Jul 08, 11:06 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    MrsMc

Thinking of you all at this sad time

J
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 8th Jul 08, 11:08 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Just seen somebody cooking fish pie on TV,can't think who,but he cut the fish (raw,white fish and salmon)in chunks with prawns.Put in layer in shallow dish,layered cooked baby leeks,quartered h.boiled eggs,grated chese then soft mashed spuds,cooked in hot oven for 20 min or so.Looked good and saved faffing with white sauce(which is sometimes a chore for me!)
    Originally posted by mrssnowy
    I said in my recipe that you can just shove the fish in the oven to cook while the potatoes are boiling but I do think that it will need the 20mins while the potatoes are boiling plus 20 mins with the mash on top aswell otherwise the fish isnt gonna be cooked properly IMO. Doing this wont add to the total cooking time cos you've got to make the mash before you put it on the pie anyway IYSWIM

I dont find it a faff to make white sauce cos youre standing there anyway while the potatoes are cooking so just standing there whisking isnt much extra effort (to me) and it only takes 5mins to make But for those that dont like making white sauce you could miss it out or use some creme fraiche or philly type cheese instead yummy

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 08-07-2008 at 11:23 PM.
    • roxy7699
    • By roxy7699 8th Jul 08, 11:18 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 8,964 Thanks
    roxy7699
    That works, thank you. I reckon I can judge on that. Funny trying to describe taste and smell isnt it. Now to find what to make with it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,730Posts Today

6,084Users online

Martin's Twitter