PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Meal building blocks for the freezer

Options

Comments

• tmm_aka_tracy
    Options
    I like to buy the bags of herbs (basil, corriander, basil and Rosemary) when they are reduced to around 19p at Asda and Tesco and just throw them straight into the freezer. No messing when you want to enhance a curry or other type of stew.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    this is something that i'd been planning to do for ages - thank you thriftlady for the inspiration and motivation :kisses3:
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    I find the Panasonic bread dough programme makes too much for one pizza (we're usually a two person household) and so I freeze half in a block ready to thaw and roll and top with (pre-frozen) pizza toppings too. Quick and easy especially if you have also got frozen grated cheese too, instant margarita pizza.

Great ideas, Thriftlady! I only wish I had room in my freezer for more 'building blocks', am bulllying DH into clearing out the garage so I can have another freezer out there, but not having much luck, so far :rolleyes: :mad:

Mrs F x
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With things like white sauce, tomato sauce etc - if you freeze it, then make it into a meal...can the meal then be frozen? I don't know if this means the sauce would be frozen twice, or does this only matter with meat?
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Willpower? wrote: »
    Wow, you've given me some great ideas there - Thank you. The only other building block I have is caramelised onions. I love them, and they seem to take so long compared with what you want to put them on.

I love onions in loads of cooking, does the onion taste soggy when you defrost it? :o

Normally have some deep fried onions in a jar and then drop a few at the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Blairweech wrote: »
    With things like white sauce, tomato sauce etc - if you freeze it, then make it into a meal...can the meal then be frozen? I don't know if this means the sauce would be frozen twice, or does this only matter with meat?
    Good question, I think the answer is that you shouldn't refreeze the sauce. Having said that I frequently freeze leftover soup that has been made with frozen stock and it has never done us any harm.
  • theverylast
    Options
    Just a thought that your 'building blocks' comment gave me...

If you freeze the food in rectangular containers, you can pop out the frozen food into freezer bags, wrap them tightly and then label them on the sides - store them like books or videos in the freezer (if it's big enough), and you don't have to spend ages rooting around for them!

(Competition now to find the first person whose freezer is in alphabetical order...)
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

If you freeze the food in rectangular containers, you can pop out the frozen food into freezer bags, wrap them tightly and then label them on the sides - store them like books or videos in the freezer (if it's big enough), and you don't have to spend ages rooting around for them!

(Competition now to find the first person whose freezer is in alphabetical order...)
    :T Brilliant idea -my freezer contents aren't alphabetical, but I do have an inventory of them :o I put a / for each lb of mince(for example) and then cross it when I've used one.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Please don't even give my neat freak OH the idea - he'd throw a fit every time I took a letter of the alphabet out!!!! :eek:
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options

Not quite, but I will confess to having a list of the contents of my garage freezer. :o
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport