PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Pandora wrote: »
    And of course there's the million bottles of white vinegar......:D

Pandora what's the deal with the white vinegar? Is this for cleaning and I'm missing the cat poop joke? Haha
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Hi all

Hope you all had a good Monday considering!

I've decided to take out spends such as coffees and fast foods from my Grocery budget and instead have a small budget for those luxuries in cash. Then when it's gone it's gone.
    This weekend I was at Uni and so absolutely everything was shop bought and expensive! I shall start in October after tallying my 'Luxury food spends' and try and keep to then reduce my budget for this over the next few months.

I've bulk cooked tonight and made lentil and butter bean casserole which is blooming delicious and quorn chilli with added lentils to bulk it up (Thanks MS's for recommending this!). I got 10 portions in total! :D

Looking forward to next month already....

RC x

Do you have a recipe please?
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Pandora what's the deal with the white vinegar? Is this for cleaning and I'm missing the cat poop joke? Haha

Haha!! Yeah just for cleaning, nothing to do with the cat! Unless I'm cleaning up a 'mess'!! :rotfl:
    :ADFW Nerd 145:A
    LBM - June 2006 - DEBTS - £19,261.08 :eek:
    Nov 2017 - £10,644.92!!
    Debt free date - 13/08/2022 - the day before I turn 40!!!!! :beer:
    Grocery Challenge - Dec 2017 £30.63/£150
  • Well, a £23.99 spend in sains tonight for the weekly shop. Better than it ever would have been, but brings my total to £211.49, so feel I am teetering towards the edge of my £250 budget which needs to last til the 1st October! Will I do it? I'm not convinced! Need lots of NSD days! Still, must think positive for a first month on the challenge am doing better than I thought I would!
    GC Sept '13: £249.05/£250, NSDs: 9/7!! :j
    GC Oct '13 £236.00/ £250, NSDs: 13/9!
    GC Nov '13 £5.72/ £250, NSDs: /10
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 17 September 2013 at 1:27AM
    Pandora wrote: »
    Just a mini spend today of 73p on some YS milk and YS rhubarb :)
    Oh I do love rhubarb crumble!! :drool: I definitely need to look into growing my own as it's far too expensive to buy!!

Didn't spend anything over the weekend, and tomorrow should be a GC NSD but won't be a true NSD as I'm dipping into my fun budget to meet up with my best friend who is recovering from surgery and we're having a cheeky beer or 2 now he's well enough! :beer:

Received a voucher for £15 off a £60 online shop at Mr T's so need to do some very careful meal planning so I can make the most of it. Will also mean I can stock up on cat litter and food (separate budget) which is good as it's sooooooo heavy to carry home from the shops! The delivery man always looks at me like I'm insane when I've ordered 10 bags of cat litter and 20 boxes of cat food and then realises I only have 1 cat!! :rotfl: And of course there's the million bottles of white vinegar......:D

This was me with four cats. I now buy a massive bag of litter from zoo plus that lasts twice as long as more absorbent. I used to buy four to five value bags a week beforehand and now ( I think its Nature's Best) is lasting about 3-4 months with four cats, so in the long run works out cheaper. I do however have to bulk buy food as they change their minds like the wind re what they will and won't eat.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Spend of £3.82 but more to add when I sort out receipts.
    Not posted photos for a few days - hectic here with the house renovations.
    I am still losing weight - had ultrasound - normal.
    This was a dinner that I did photograph - roast potatoes/parsnip + HM chicken pie + roasted beetroot, red onion, red pepper, tomato.

Thursdaysdinner_zpsb7b539ff.jpg

Flo glad your scan was normal, its just a thought love but I am thinking you have such a healthy diet and you`ve had such a hectic couple of months could it be that you are burning up more calories than you usually do. Hoping it could be as simple as this.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Went for a mooch around The Range today. My first time ever. It is my new fave shop :) I could literally have spent thousands in there on "want" but came out having spent £1 on "need" (400g of dates for a cake I'd planned on baking). Before we went out I popped some leftover lamb in the slow cooker and some veg so no faffing around tonight and more time to bake my date & walnut cake. All I had to do was pop some hassleback potatoes in the oven so easy dinner tonight. I need to pop to Aldi tomorrow for a few bits but might make this my weekly shop day and stock up on next weeks essentials too as the more times I go the more I spend! I have friends coming over on Wednesday for coffee and cake so need to bake tomorrow at some point but luckily I have all the ingredients in. Hoping my Aldi shop comes in under £70 as DD is costing me a fortune. She's just changed from the 6th form 100 yards down the road to college 4 miles away so having to pay bus fare every day is adding over £40 PCM to my costs as well as all her books, art materials etc. Thankfully I start back work in November so hopefully if I have a business to go back to after 9 months off we may have some extra money coming in at long last x

I really miss our Range it closed down last year, but must admit I have saved a fortune on crafty bits, I would go in to buy a pack of card or some pens and would come out with all sorts of goodies.
    Now my nearest one is 15miles away so not tempted.
    Slimming World at target
  • kayester
    kayester Posts: 1,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    just had 2 NSD
    all poorly in our house so need to go to the shop on way back from school to top up on medicine cereal bread and milk.
    will update when i get back i am not looking anywhere else in the shop!
    breakfast is toast.
    lunch is curry from last night (not much left)
    and im making homemade meatballs for dinner (cheaper) and spaghetti. along with pasta sauce there shouls be enough left for lunch for tomorrow
    216/2018 (make ££ in 2018)

Grocery challenge
    Jan 227/400
    swagbucks target 2018 1452/27375
  • Went for a mooch around The Range today. My first time ever. It is my new fave shop :) I could literally have spent thousands in there on "want" but came out having spent £1 on "need" (400g of dates for a cake I'd planned on baking). Before we went out I popped some leftover lamb in the slow cooker and some veg so no faffing around tonight and more time to bake my date & walnut cake. All I had to do was pop some hassleback potatoes in the oven so easy dinner tonight. I need to pop to Aldi tomorrow for a few bits but might make this my weekly shop day and stock up on next weeks essentials too as the more times I go the more I spend! I have friends coming over on Wednesday for coffee and cake so need to bake tomorrow at some point but luckily I have all the ingredients in. Hoping my Aldi shop comes in under £70 as DD is costing me a fortune. She's just changed from the 6th form 100 yards down the road to college 4 miles away so having to pay bus fare every day is adding over £40 PCM to my costs as well as all her books, art materials etc. Thankfully I start back work in November so hopefully if I have a business to go back to after 9 months off we may have some extra money coming in at long last x

How do you do hassleback potatoes? Are they just the same as roast, only cut differently?

We have a range local but lucky it is on one of the out of town shopping areas, I don't go up that way so I am not tempted, lovely things but I would spend a fortune if I went in (especially in craft section)
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Pandora wrote: »
    Just a mini spend today of 73p on some YS milk and YS rhubarb :)
    Oh I do love rhubarb crumble!! :drool: I definitely need to look into growing my own as it's far too expensive to buy!!

Didn't spend anything over the weekend, and tomorrow should be a GC NSD but won't be a true NSD as I'm dipping into my fun budget to meet up with my best friend who is recovering from surgery and we're having a cheeky beer or 2 now he's well enough! :beer:

Received a voucher for £15 off a £60 online shop at Mr T's so need to do some very careful meal planning so I can make the most of it. Will also mean I can stock up on cat litter and food (separate budget) which is good as it's sooooooo heavy to carry home from the shops! The delivery man always looks at me like I'm insane when I've ordered 10 bags of cat litter and 20 boxes of cat food and then realises I only have 1 cat!! :rotfl: And of course there's the million bottles of white vinegar......:D

I got one of those too.
    I want to use it to save the £15 but it blows my budget totally.
    Hmmmmmm............................................
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport